Connect with us

News

SARS torture made me lose two pregnancies – Teacher

Published

on

A school teacher, Mrs Nzube Obiechina, has told the judicial panel of inquiry sitting in Lagos how some operatives of the defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) made her to lose two pregnancies due to torture.

Obeichina and her husband, Okechukwu, gave the testimony before the panel on Saturday, 31 October, 2020.

She said she received a strange call from someone who claimed to be a DHL officer on June 2, 2017. Nzube said her husband later called back the number but could not get through.

She further said the same caller phoned her using another number the next day, following which she gave her school address.

Nzube, who teaches in a private school, said to her surprise, the supposed courier turned out to be four hooded SARS officers in a jeep.

“Immediately I approached, they started beating me. They accused me of being an armed robber and kidnapper,” Nzube said.

She stated she was whisked away and later detained.

“They brutalised me in the name of interrogating me. As a pregnant woman, I did not eat or drink for one week and in the process, I lost the baby.

“It was later after I left SARS that I went to the hospital that I found that the baby was gone, and I had to flush it out,” she said.

The teacher identified some of the SARS officers who allegedly tortured them as Philip Rieninwa, Christian and Haruna Idowu.

She said she was pregnant again during her husband’s second arrest, adding that Okwuchukwu was released following an order of the Federal High Court in Lagos.

“Due to the emotional trauma, I lost my second pregnancy. We sued SARS at the Federal High Court and we were awarded N2m damages for the torture and brutality.

“They have not paid the money. The case was taken to the appeal court and it was dismissed and till now, they (SARS) have not done anything,” she said.

The chairman of the panel, Retired Justice Doris Okuwobi, noted that hearing of Obiechinas’ petition had to be adjourned because names of some SARS officials had been mentioned.

“Those SARS officers have to be brought here so that we can hear their own side of the story. This petition is adjourned to November 10,” she said.

News

Nyako denies Kanu fresh bail, says application abuse of court process

Published

on

Justice Binta Nyako of an Abuja federal high court on Tuesday dismissed an application for bail filed by Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

Thejudge, in her ruling, described the application as an abuse of court process having been previously denied.

Kanu was re-arraigned on an amended 15-count charge bordering on treasonable felony.

However, on April 8, the judge struck out eight of the 15-count charge.

While counts 6,7,9,10,11,12,13 and 14 were struck out, the defendant is to stand trial on counts 1,2,3,4,5,8 and 15.

Continue Reading

News

Breaking: President Swears in Nigeria’s New Chief Justice

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has sworn in the new Chief Justice of Nigeria Olukayode Ariwoola.
The President performed the swearing ceremony today in Abuja.

The brief ceremony took place at the Presidential Villa.

NPO Eeports that Ariwoola will be serving in acting capacity pending the appointment of a substantive Chief Justice of Nigeria.

Justice Ariwoola was born on 22 August 1958).
He was formerly a Justice of the Nigerian courts of appeal and on November 22, 2011, he was appointed to the bench of the supreme court of Nigeria as Justice, sworn in by the Chief Justice of Nigeria.
He was appointed and awaiting Nigerian Senate’s approval as Chief Justice of Nigeria on the 27th June 2022 following the resignation of Justice Tanko Muhammad.

His appointment comes amidst clamour for better condition of service at the apex court.

NPO

Continue Reading

News

Fireworks mistaken for gunfire cause stampede at New York parade

Published

on

A stampede occurred at a Pride Parade in the city of New York, United States, on Sunday, with hundreds of people attempting to flee after mistaking the sound of fireworks for gunfire, police said.

“There were no shots fired in Washington Square Park. After an investigation, it was determined that the sound was fireworks set off at the location,” the NY Police Department said in a tweet shortly after the incident.

Police told newsmen “there were no serious injuries” from the stampede.

Terrified people ran or walked briskly along a street adjacent to the square after the scare, videos on social media showed.

Tens of thousands of people attended Sunday’s LGBTQIA+ Pride parade, which wound its way through the streets of lower Manhattan under the blazing sun.

READ ALSO:

The atmosphere was largely festive, although the shadow of Friday’s US Supreme Court decision to abolish a constitutional right to abortion — leaving states to legislate on the matter themselves — loomed over proceedings.

New York’s Pride parade is the second-largest in the United States, after San Francisco, and Sunday’s gathering was the first time it had taken place since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

Organisers also said the US Supreme Court decision on abortion was “devastating.”

“This dangerous decision puts millions in harm’s way, gives government control over our individual freedom to choose, and sets a disturbing precedent that puts many other constitutional rights and freedoms in jeopardy,” the organisers said.

Many rights groups fear that the verdict on abortion could be the beginning of a broader push by the Supreme Court, currently dominated by a conservative majority, to curtail other freedoms won in recent decades, such as rights to contraception or same-sex marriage.

AFP/Punch

Continue Reading

Trending