Categories: Health

26 army officers test positive for coronavirus

  • Gen Irefin died of COVID-19, army insists

About 26 officers of the Nigerian army have tested positive for coronavirus.

This came as the army insisting that John Olu Irefin, a major-general, died from COVID-19 complications.

Irefin was attending the annual chief of army staff conference in Abuja before he took ill and died.

Army spokesman, Sagir Musa, in a statement on Sunday night said out of 417 personnel who had so far been tested, 26 cases turned out positive.

“On the confirmation that Gen Irefin’s COVID19 test was positive on 9 December 2020, the Chief of Army Staff directed the immediate suspension of the conference and all participants were directed to move into self isolation in line with FGN protocols on COVID 19 pandemic,” the statement read.

“Equally, comprehensive testing of all participants commenced immediately. Consequently, as of Sunday the 13th of December 2020, a total of 417 personnel have so far been tested with 26 confirmed positive cases.

“Currently, all participants are in self isolation irrespective of their results while Nigeria Centre for Disease Control recommended COVID-19 treatment drugs were immediately issued to those that tested positive.”

But A.A Aminu, spokesman for the Ayetoro Development Association, where Irefin hailed from, the kinsmen of the deceased said they suspected foul play.

They called on the authorities to investigate the general’s death, saying COVID-19 could not have killed Irefin within such a short period.

They also questioned the army over its “haste in the burial” of Irefin.

But army spokesman dismissed the allegations, insisting that COVID-19 was responsible for the death of the late general.

He said an explanation on the death of the general was needed to “combat fake news, unnecessary and wicked insinuations”.

“The sudden death of Maj General JO Irefin is no doubt a great loss to the Nigerian Army (NA), his family and the country at large,” Musa said.

“In view of the fake news, unnecessary and wicked insinuations that started emanating from unknown group or individuals, the NA wishes to inform members of the public the sequence of events that led to the death of the late senior officer.”

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo

Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo Idanre, Ondo…

3 hours ago

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus Awhum, Udi LGA, Enugu…

4 hours ago

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau Kampani Zurak, Wase LGA, Plateau State —…

4 hours ago

BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections

BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections President Bola Ahmed…

4 hours ago

Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)

Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video) LAGOS, Nigeria — Tension erupted…

5 hours ago

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate…

6 hours ago