The Police in Lagos on Sunday confirmed the death of eight children who mistakenly locked themselves in an abandoned car while playing at Adelayo Str., Agunlayo, Jah Michael, near Magbon area of Badagry.
The spokesman for the Lagos State Police Command, Adekunle Ajisebutu, in a statement, said the incident occurred on Saturday.
Ajisebutu said that their bodies had been recovered and deposited at the Badagry General Hospital’s morgue for autopsy so as to determine the actual cause of death.
He said: “Notwithstanding the report made to the Police, the Commissioner of Police, CP Hakeem Odumosu, has ordered a thorough and speedy investigation into the circumstances surrounding their death.
- Sylvester’s torturers won’t escape justice, I’m glad he named them before dying –Father of late Dowen College pupil
- DSS arrests General Idris Dambazau
- NPA: ALL port operations to go digital by 2025
“The CP also commiserates with the families of the victims.”
The News Agency of Nigeria correspondent who monitored the incident reports that the eight children were found dead in the vehicle parked in front of the owner’s house.
Suru Avoseh, Commissioner, Lagos State Civil Service Commission, told NAN that the abandoned car belonged to a retired staff of the Lagos State University, who is now late.
According to Avoseh, the car was forced opened by one of the children who was the grandchild of the owner, while the other seven are Nigerians residing in the area.
He said: “The other seven kids are children of Bureau De Change Operators living in the community.
“The children forced the door of the vehicle opened, entered and closed the door.
“No ventilation and nobody knew something was wrong and they suffocated and died.
“It wasn’t a kidnapping incident or any foul play by anyone.
“It is unfortunate.”
Dr. Tunde Bakare, the Medical Director, Badagry General Hospital, told NAN that the children were brought dead to the hospital.
Bakare said: “While we told them to leave them so that we could carry out autopsy, one Moslem cleric that followed them disagreed with our staff and said burial should not exceed Saturday.
“Unfortunately, the Police that brought the corpse supported the cleric so we had to release the corpses to them.”
FRSC receives 316 new operational vehicles from FG
The Federal Road Safety Corps has taken delivery of 316 new vehicles procured by the Federal Government to ease its operations nationwide.
Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr Boss Mustapha, on Thursday in Abuja inaugurated new vehicles, saying they were for effective patrol of highways across the country.
The 316 operational vehicles are made up of 239 patrol vehicles, 49 ambulances, 23 tow trucks and five patrol bikes.
Mustapha said at the inauguration of the vehicles at the FRSC headquarters that they would be mainly for the patrol of new roads just provided by the Federal Government.
He said the provision of the vehicles was to enhance the operations of the corps and ensure safety of road users across the country.
He said the FG would remain consistent in providing improved transport infrastructure and told the regulatory agencies to live up to expectations.
He said, “Let me use this opportunity to reiterate President Muhammadu Buhari’s commitment to the provision of transport infrastructure.
“This is because he believes that it is a key determinant of performance in any nation’s development and growth process.
“Indeed, investment in transport infrastructure encourages economic impact.”
He urged the corps to sustain its leadership role in Africa in making roads safer for economic growth, adding that the patrol vehicles should be deployed to cover the entire country, as soon as possible, while noting that the vehicles would boost the operations of the FRSC and give it more ambiance to carry out its duties effectively.
Acting Corps Marshal, Dauda Biu, said the vehicles would help to improve the FRSC field operations through the provision of real-time reports and active support as well as backup to field officers.
He assured of proper deployment and utilisation of the vehicles to all locations, for the safety of motorists.
Biu appealed for improved funding of the Corps to enable it to realise its vision of full coverage of all operational commands nationwide.
According to him, the FRSC operational areas comprise 12 zonal commands, 37 sector commands, 223 unit commands, 58 outposts and 527 station offices.
The FRSC Board Chairman, Bukhari Bello, thanked President Buhari for his support to the corps for efficient service delivery.
Representative of the Inspector General of Police Usman Baba, AIG Operations, Bala Ciroma, pledged a harmonious working relationship with the FRSC for effective traffic management in the country.
JUST IN: Lagos extends okada ban to Mushin, Oshodi-Isolo, Kosofe, Somolu
Lagos State Government has extended its ban on commercial motorcycle (okada) operation to four more local governments, making a total of 10 the number of local government areas where no okada riding will be permitted with effect from September 1.
The government had initially banned okada in six LGAs of the state to curtail the rate of road accidents and crime using motorcycles.
The state government said on Thursday it had added four LGAs and six local community development areas to the list of the routes restricted to okada.
Lagos State Governor, Babajidr Sanwo-Olu, said full enforcement of the ban in the new areas would take effect from September 1, 2022.
The four LGAs and six LCDAs are: Kosofe Local Government (Ikosi-Isherri LCDA
and Agboyi-Ketu LCDA), Oshodi-Isolo Local Government (Isolo LCDA), Shomolu Local Government (Bariga LCDA) and Mushin Local Government (Odi-Olowo LCDA).
Ealier, the state government had restricted the okada riders from operating in Ikeja, Surulere, Eti-Osa, Lagos Mainland, Lagos Island and Apapa local government areas.
With 20 local governments in the state, only 10 LGAs are left for commercial motorcycle operators to do their business.
No part of Lagos is under any lockdown – Lagos police
The Lagos State Police Command has denied reports that some parts of the state is under a partial lockdown as a preventive measure against security threats.
Spokesman for the command, Benjamin Hundeyin, stated this in a series of tweets on Thursday in a reaction emanating from a Wednesday’s statement credited to the state’s Commissioner of Police, Abiodun Alabi.
Alabi was on Wednesday reported to have said that there was a partial lockdown of the state by security agencies due to the threats of attacks by unknown gunmen.
He was claimed to have said this in Lagos during the state stakeholders’ forum on police accountability quarterly meeting and awards.
But the state PPRO Hundeyin in a response via Twitter said, “@LagosPoliceNG Commissioner of Police, CP Abiodun Alabi, fdc only affirmed that entry and exit points are being closely monitored by security agencies to forestall any security breach in the state.
“He gave this assurance while answering a question bothering on police stop-and-search in some parts of Lagos State. NO PART OF LAGOS IS ON LOCKDOWN, PARTIAL OR TOTAL.
“All residents of Lagos State are enjoined to go about their lawful duties without fear; while remaining vigilant and observing situational awareness at all times.”
ASUU strike: Lecturers outstanding salaries now delaying reopening of varsities
Court strikes out suit seeking to nullify Adeleke’s nomination as PDP candidate
Ortom suspends mining activities in Benue to curb insecurity
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
American preacher, Creflo Dollar confesses he misled congregants, says tithing not biblical + Video
[UPDATED]Conflicting Reports Over Viral Video Of Soldiers Evacuating ‘Bandits’ In Kaduna + Video
Lagos mother fights off suspected ritualist attempting to abduct kids + VIDEO
Business1 week ago
Agric budgets hit N874.83bn, food imports gulp N7.81tn
metro1 week ago
Notorious Osun cultist, Oko’lu, remanded for murder, arson
Business1 week ago
Oil price falls to $95 a barrel over plans to restore Iran nuclear deal
metro1 week ago
Kwara cultists gun down two during August celebration
Politics1 week ago
Obi won’t win half of any Nasarawa council – Adeyanju
Business1 week ago
Fuel subsidy a threat to Nigeria’s survival – World Bank
Business1 week ago
Nigeria tops world’s countries obsessed with cryptocurrency
Politics7 days ago
Wike sues Atiku, Tambuwal, demands recognition as candidate