metro
Saraki blasts NASS members for being ineffective
Saraki blasts NASS members for being ineffective
A former Senate President, Bukola Saraki on Thursday, June 12, said that the National Assembly is gradually becoming a shadow of itself.
Saraki stated that the National Assembly seems to have lost the vibrancy and the effectiveness every parliament is expected to have.
In a statement released in commemoration of Nigeria’s 26th Democratic Day celebration, Saraki said there is a need to ensure the parliament as an institution becomes stronger and more efficient.
He further stated that the National Assembly has continued to drift backwards despite the sacrifices made by previous leaders.
READ ALSO:
- Wave your magic wand on Nigeria’s electricity, Speaker Abbas tells Tinubu
- MKO Abiola’s son: Wrongs done to our parents now corrected
- 2027: Tinubu and the snake
While noting that the sad development is not the fault of the legislature and its leadership alone, Saraki said the judiciary and the executive have consistently played key roles in undermining and weakening the National Assembly.
He also said that over time, the National Assembly and its leadership have misunderstood its oversight role.
Saraki appealed to the serving lawmakers to commit to making the institution a strong and vibrant one devoid of partisan or personal interest.
“One of the tenets of democracy is the multiplicity of opinions, freely expressed. If the National Assembly is made helpless and hopeless to the extent that the people cannot find succour there, then they will be left with no option but to run to the streets. And this is dangerous for our democracy,” Saraki stated.
Saraki blasts NASS members for being ineffective
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics2 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
metro1 day agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Atiku’s suit seeking Tinubu’s disqualification meets deadline, faces procedural hurdle
