metro
Gunmen kill ex-PDP chair Aondoakaa Yaiyol in fresh Benue attack
Gunmen kill ex-PDP chair Aondoakaa Yaiyol in fresh Benue attack
Aondoakaa Yaiyol, former Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chairman of Tarka Local Government Area in Benue State, was slain by gunmen.
Before his death on Friday night, Yaiyol was the local government’s Commander of Nigeria Hunters and Forest Security Services.
According to reports, the deceased lost his wife in the similar circumstances last year, and his home was burned down.
Tim Nyior, the PDP state press secretary, confirmed Yaiyol’s assassination in a phone conversation on Saturday.
Nyior said, “It’s true that the man was once PDP chairman in Tarka LGA before his current position as commander of the Nigeria Hunters and Forest Security Services in Tarka. Unfortunately, his wife was killed just last year,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- I was attacked in my office – Rivers LG administrator denies resignation
- 7 passengers killed as youths reportedly attack bus in Plateau
- Khamenei names 3 senior clerics as possible successors should he be killed – Report
Also confirming the occurrence on Saturday, Chief Joseph Har, Special Adviser to Governor Hyacinth Alia on Security and Internal Affairs, described it as an “assassination”.
Har said, “It was an assassination of the commander of the Nigeria Hunters and Forest Security Services NHFSS, Aondoakaa Yaiyol.
“They came on a bike and shot him at close quarters and fled.
“After they shot the guy, they fired sporadically to scare others and then fled on a bike, and they were shielded by two cars also firing sporadically to scare away people.
“Sketchy investigation shows that a criminal that attacked and killed the deceased wife and burnt the house was sent to prison. On his return, both of them were chasing each other until this happened.”
When reached, DSP Udeme Edet, the officer’s public relations officer, confirmed the claim and stated that officers were tracking down the suspect.
“The incident is confirmed; immediately police in Tarka received the report, and a team of officers was detailed to arrest him, and they trailed him to his hideout but escaped before officers could reach there.”
Gunmen kill ex-PDP chair Aondoakaa Yaiyol in fresh Benue attack
![]()
metro
Stop Sokoto killings or resign, MURIC tells Defence Minister
Stop Sokoto killings or resign, MURIC tells Defence Minister
The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has given the Minister of Defence, Gen. Christopher Gwabin Musa (retd.), 14 days to take decisive action to halt killings and kidnappings in Sokoto State or resign from office.
MURIC, in a statement issued on Saturday by its Executive Director, Prof. Ishaq Akintola, said the ultimatum followed what it described as the worsening security situation in the state and the minister’s earlier pledge to end the killing of Nigerians.
According to the organisation, 43 people and an imam were killed while 19 others were abducted in three separate attacks in Sokoto State within the past few weeks.
MURIC said the victims were Muslims, adding that the continued attacks had heightened concerns over the safety of residents, farmers, travellers and communities across the state.
“Killings and kidnappings around Nigeria have continued unabated. The level of insecurity has risen to an all-time high. But these terrorist activities have been concentrated on Sokoto State in particular in the past two years,” Akintola said.
The group described the attacks as a reflection of what it called weaknesses in the country’s security architecture and accused the military of failing to adequately protect citizens in the affected areas.
MURIC further argued that attacks in Sokoto had wider implications because of the state’s historical and religious significance to Nigerian Muslims.
“If Abuja is Nigeria’s political capital, if Lagos is the country’s economic hub, then Sokoto is the heart of Islamdom in Nigeria,” the group said.
It urged the military to strengthen security around Sokoto, insisting that the state required what it described as an “iron-clad defence mechanism” to prevent further attacks.
The organisation also recalled statements reportedly made by Musa when he assumed office as Defence Minister in late 2025, in which he pledged to work towards ending killings and said he could not afford to fail himself, his country and his family.
MURIC said the current security situation in Sokoto amounted to a failure to fulfil that pledge.
“Today Sokoto is under siege. Farmers cannot go to their farms. Villagers seek safe haven in distant lands. City dwellers sleep with one eye open. Travellers have become human merchandise, abducted, humiliated, dehumanised and turned to mere goods whose price must be haggled with criminals,” Akintola said.
The group also expressed concern over a warning reportedly issued by the Department of State Services that terrorists were planning attacks on tertiary institutions in Sokoto State.
MURIC described the warning as a serious development, saying it further underscored the urgency of taking immediate and effective measures to protect residents and institutions in the state.
The organisation therefore gave the Defence Minister 14 days, beginning from Monday, August 24, to demonstrate what it called “visible, tangible and reliable changes” in the security situation in and around Sokoto.
MURIC said the objective should be to make the state, particularly the Sokoto metropolis, safe from terrorist and bandit attacks.
“The alternative is for the Minister to submit his letter of resignation on or before the ultimatum. There is no other option on the table,” Akintola said.
The organisation called on the Federal Government and the security agencies to intensify operations against terrorists and bandits while ensuring the protection of civilians, farmlands, educational institutions and major routes across Sokoto State.
Stop Sokoto killings or resign, MURIC tells Defence Minister
![]()
metro
Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace, supported by vigilantes and local hunters, apprehended 30-year-old Halima Ibrahim during an intelligence-led raid in Bassa Local Government Area. The operation, linked to the recent abduction of a medical doctor, led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle, a locally fabricated revolver, and other military items.
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace, in collaboration with members of the Vigilante Group of Nigeria and local hunters, have arrested a suspected gunrunner and recovered an AK-47 rifle, magazines and other military-related items in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State. The operation was carried out on Friday, August 21, following intelligence linking the area to the recent abduction of a medical doctor, Dr Abraham Owoicho, who was kidnapped on August 19.
According to security sources who spoke to security analyst Zagazola Makama, troops moved into Kisayi and Dogon Daji settlements after receiving intelligence on the activities of suspected criminals operating in the communities. The troops, supported by local security volunteers and hunters, raided the settlements and searched identified locations.
Several male residents reportedly fled into the surrounding bush when they sighted the advancing security personnel, leaving women and children behind. A 30-year-old woman, identified as Halima Ibrahim, was however arrested while allegedly attempting to escape with two AK-47 rifle magazines. Following her arrest, troops cordoned off and searched her residence in Kisayi B Village.
The search reportedly led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle, which investigators are working to trace to its source and determine its ownership. During preliminary questioning, the suspect allegedly told investigators that the rifle belonged to her husband, identified as Ibrahim. Troops also recovered a locally fabricated revolver pistol, a military jungle hat and three mobile phones from the residence. The suspect and the recovered items have been taken into military custody as investigations continue.
READ ALSO:
- Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu, By Farooq Kperogi
- Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
- IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
The Nigerian Army has reiterated its commitment to conducting intelligence-driven operations to dismantle criminal networks involved in kidnapping, arms trafficking, and other violent crimes across the country. The operation in Plateau was part of broader efforts, with separate operations in Edo State leading to the rescue of a kidnapped victim.
According to security sources, investigators are working to establish the source of the firearms, the circumstances surrounding their possession and any possible links between the suspects and criminal networks operating in the area. The operation forms part of ongoing efforts by security agencies to disrupt kidnapping networks and the illegal arms trade in Plateau State, particularly following recent abductions in Bassa Local Government Area. Further intelligence-driven operations are expected in the affected communities as security agencies continue investigations.
The arrest comes amid heightened security operations in Plateau State, where troops and other security agencies have intensified efforts to disrupt criminal networks. In a separate operation on August 19, troops of Sector 8, Operation Enduring Peace, recovered one AK-47 rifle, one locally fabricated AK-47 rifle, one locally fabricated revolver rifle, two Dane guns and 15 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition during a raid in Mangu Local Government Area, following intelligence about a suspected attack on Mwar community. The military has also intensified operations across the state, with troops of Sector 6 arresting 19 suspects in Riyom Local Government Area following an ambush that killed two security operatives.
Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
![]()
metro
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has lifted the restriction on Osun State Government bank accounts after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu directed the agency to vacate the order.
The affected accounts, held with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, are now operational, according to confirmations from both the Presidency and an aide to Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke.
A Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the restriction had been removed, saying the EFCC could not disregard the President’s directive.
“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately,” Ajayi said.
An aide to Governor Adeleke, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that the Post No Debit (PND) restriction had been vacated and that the state government’s accounts were functioning again.
The EFCC had imposed the restriction on August 5, 2026, as part of an investigation into the alleged fraudulent handling of about N11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC).
The commission said the investigation had been ongoing since March 2026 and was aimed at preventing the alleged diversion of public funds.
The decision to restrict the accounts, however, generated significant controversy because it came shortly before the August 15 Osun State governorship election.
READ ALSO:
- IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
- Enugu ADC Chairman Found Dead Near Residence in Suspected Murder
- N3.14 Trillion Spent on Electricity Subsidy in 31 Months – FG
The timing prompted allegations from the Osun State Government and its supporters that the EFCC action was politically motivated and intended to weaken Adeleke ahead of the election. The commission rejected the allegations and maintained that its action was connected to an ongoing financial investigation.
The dispute escalated after the President intervened and directed the EFCC to take steps to vacate the restriction.
Tinubu expressed concern about the timing of the action and its potential implications for public confidence in the electoral process, while also maintaining that anti-corruption agencies should carry out their responsibilities professionally.
The account restriction had also triggered a legal battle between the Osun State Government and the EFCC.
The state government approached the Federal High Court in Abuja to challenge the restriction and sought N2 billion in damages, arguing that the EFCC’s action unlawfully interfered with the state’s access to its funds.
The legal dispute changed following Tinubu’s intervention and the subsequent lifting of the restriction.
After being declared winner of the governorship election, Adeleke directed the Osun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the suit against the EFCC.
Adeleke said the President’s intervention had addressed the immediate dispute and that there was therefore no need to continue with the case.
With the accounts now operational, the immediate confrontation between the Osun State Government and the EFCC appears to have eased.
However, the lifting of the account restriction does not necessarily mean that the underlying investigation has been discontinued. The EFCC’s earlier allegations concerning the handling of about N11 billion remain separate from the decision to restore access to the accounts.
The development has also renewed discussions about the relationship between anti-corruption agencies and elected governments, particularly when financial investigations take place close to major elections.
For the Osun State Government, the restoration of access to its accounts removes an immediate financial constraint and allows the state to continue accessing funds required for government operations.
For the EFCC, the development means the financial investigation, if still ongoing, would have to proceed through the appropriate legal and investigative channels without the earlier account restriction.
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
![]()
-
metro2 days agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
metro2 days agoPFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
-
News2 days agoTinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND
-
Politics2 days agoAtiku Dismisses Obasanjo’s Political Clout, Says Ex-President Has ‘No Electoral Value’
-
metro1 day agoHistory in Makkah: Nigerian Teen Wins Prestigious Qur’anic Contest, Breaks 46-Year Gender Barrier
-
metro2 days agoFormer MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute
-
News1 day agoDelta Governor Reveals ₦503,000 Monthly Salary, Says Permanent Secretaries Earn ₦900,000
-
Africa2 days agoM23 Rebels Impose Ebola Movement Restrictions as DRC Conflict Complicates Outbreak Response
