International
Three Palestinians killed during Israeli settler attack on West Bank village
Three Palestinians killed during Israeli settler attack on West Bank village
Three Palestinians have been shot dead after dozens of Israeli settlers attacked a Palestinian village in the occupied West Bank, Palestinian authorities say.
Video footage from Kafr Malik, near Ramallah, on Wednesday night showed a car and a home on fire and Palestinians running away as gunfire is heard.
The Israeli military said forces deployed to the scene found settlers and villagers throwing stones at each other. It added that several “terrorists” opened fire and threw stones at the forces, who returned fire and identified hits. They also arrested five Israelis.
The Palestinian foreign ministry said settlers fired at villagers in their homes during what it called their “terrorist assault”.
The ministry also said Israeli forces prevented ambulance crews from reaching the wounded and obstructed fire crews from entering the village for several hours.
Another villager, a 13-year-old boy, was shot dead – reportedly by Israeli troops – earlier in the week.
Israel has built about 160 settlements housing some 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank and East Jerusalem – land Palestinians want, along with Gaza, for a hoped-for future state – in the 1967 Middle East war. An estimated 3.3 million Palestinians live alongside them.
The vast majority of the international community considers the settlements illegal under international law – a position supported by an advisory opinion of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) last year – although Israel disputes this.
“What do you expect us to do when our homes are being attacked by settlers with petrol bombs?” asked one elderly man, sitting quietly with hundreds of other mourners on Thursday after the funerals of the three men who were killed.
READ ALSO:
- Lagos Govt probes demolition of Obi’s brother property
- NLC vows to shut down FCT after Tinubu’s project inauguration
- FG empowers 3,700 women with tricycles
Kafr Malik has been attacked numerous times in recent weeks by settlers increasingly emboldened by Israeli government ministers who often support their actions and who have endorsed the building of many more settlements.
“They think they can take my land and force me to leave, but I’m not going anywhere,” said Hamdallah Bearat, a retired professor of engineering who has lived in Kfar Malik for most of his life.
For many younger Palestinians, though, the realities of an increasingly restrictive occupation and its economic consequences make life here more difficult by the day.
Shortly after the incident in Kafr Malik, there was another attack in the Palestinian community of Dar Fazaa, near the village of Taybeh.
Israeli human rights group B’Tselem said three people were injured and three cars were torched. It posted CCTV footage showing a group of at least 10 masked men setting one car on fire and throwing stones.
“The settler violence and rampage, under the protection of the occupation army, is a political decision by the Israeli government, implemented by the settlers,” Palestinian Vice-President Hussein al-Sheikh wrote on X.
“The Israeli government’s behaviour and decisions are pushing the region toward an explosion. We call on the international community to urgently intervene to protect our Palestinian people.”
Since Hamas’s attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, which triggered the war in Gaza, more than 900 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces in the West Bank – a period in which more than 20 Israelis have also been killed.
There has also been a sharp increase in the number and severity of settler attacks in the West Bank over the same period.
READ ALSO:
- Cristiano Ronaldo okays deal with Al Nassr until 2027
- INEC announces date for national, state assembly by-elections
- Portable challenges Bobrisky to fight, demands N100m, Ferrari
The UN says there were 487 attacks by settlers resulting in casualties or property damage in the first four months of this year, including 122 in April. At least 181 Palestinians were reportedly injured by settlers in the attacks.
Human rights organisations and witnesses say the Israeli military and police frequently stand by while settlers attack Palestinian towns and villages.
Since the right-wing, pro-settler governing coalition headed by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu took office in late 2022, it has decided to establish 49 new settlements and begin the legalisation process for seven settler outposts which were built without government authorisation, according to the Israeli anti-settlement watchdog Peace Now.
Last month, Israeli ministers said 22 new settlements had been approved across the length and width of the West Bank, hailing it as a move that “prevents the establishment of a Palestinian state that would endanger Israel”.
In a separate incident on Wednesday, a 15-year-old Palestinian boy was shot and killed by Israeli forces in the town of al-Yamoun, near Jenin, the Palestinian health ministry said.
The Israeli military said “terrorists” threw explosive devices at its forces during an operation there. Afterwards, they approached while holding additional explosives and the forces responded by opening fire, it added.
In January, Israeli forces launched a large-scale operation against Palestinian armed groups in Jenin and two other governorates in the northern West Bank, which Netanyahu said aimed to “defeat terrorism”.
The UN’s human rights chief said in April that the operation had destroyed entire refugee camps and makeshift medical sites, and displaced more than 40,000 Palestinians, who had been told not to return to their homes for a year.
Three Palestinians killed during Israeli settler attack on West Bank village
![]()
International
North Korea Fires 10+ Missiles Hours After Trump Signals Fresh Kim Summit
International
Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash
Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash
![]()
International
US indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
US indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
Justice Department Unseals 14-Count Superseding Indictment Alleging Massive Hacking Operation Conducted on Behalf of Iranian Government and IRGC
The United States has charged 17 Iranian nationals in connection with an alleged massive cyber-theft campaign that targeted hundreds of universities, private companies, government agencies, and non-governmental organisations across the globe. The US Department of Justice announced on Tuesday that a 14-count superseding indictment had been unsealed against members of the Mabna Institute, an Iran-based company accused of conducting coordinated cyber intrusions since at least 2013, according to multiple reports.
The indictment, which has been assigned to US District Judge Jesse M. Furman in the Southern District of New York, represents one of the most extensive cyber-related prosecutions ever brought against Iranian actors. Nine of the 17 defendants were previously charged in a seven-count indictment announced in March 2018, while Tuesday’s superseding indictment adds eight additional defendants to the case, expanding the scope of the alleged criminal enterprise.
Assistant Attorney General for National Security John Eisenberg stated that the defendants allegedly hacked universities and research institutions worldwide at the behest of entities including Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), stealing large volumes of information and intellectual property. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) also stated that the defendants allegedly operated a “hacking-for-hire” network targeting intellectual property belonging to American and allied universities, companies, and government agencies for the benefit of the Iranian government. The US authorities stressed that an indictment is merely an allegation and that all defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
READ ALSO:
- Police Nab 49-Year-Old With Pump-Action Rifle, 50 Ammunition Rounds In Anambra
- WMotors takes Jetour Africa Expedition to Lagos, Puts SUVs to Off-Road Test
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
The alleged hacking campaign targeted a staggering number of victims globally, including 144 US-based universities and 178 foreign universities, totalling 322 academic institutions worldwide. The hackers are alleged to have targeted more than 100,000 university professor accounts globally and successfully compromised about 8,000 accounts across the identified universities. The campaign, which began around 2013 and continued through at least December 2017, targeted academic research and intellectual property across fields including science and technology, engineering, social sciences, and medicine.
The Justice Department said the hackers stole at least 31.5 terabytes of academic data and intellectual property, including journals, theses, dissertations, and electronic books. Some of the stolen material was allegedly sold through websites operated or affiliated with members of the conspiracy, transforming stolen academic resources into a profitable underground enterprise. Beyond universities, the defendants allegedly compromised employee email accounts at at least 42 US-based private companies, 11 foreign companies, and several government agencies and non-governmental organisations.
The alleged hacking campaign extended beyond academic institutions to include several high-profile government and non-governmental organisations. The Justice Department identified the following entities as among those targeted: the US Department of Labor, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the states of Hawaii and Indiana, the United Nations, and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). The superseding indictment also alleges that members of the group targeted HBO and were involved in hacking private companies and government entities, causing victims to incur more than $20 million in investigation and remediation costs.
A central element of the indictment is the alleged connection between the Mabna Institute and Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). The Justice Department alleged that many of the cyber intrusions were conducted on behalf of the IRGC and other Iranian government and university clients. The Mabna Institute was founded around 2013 by Gholamreza Rafatnejad and Ehsan Mohammadi, according to the Justice Department. The organisation allegedly assisted Iranian universities and research institutions in obtaining unauthorised access to scientific resources outside Iran while also providing hacking services to Iranian government and private entities.
This mirrors actions taken by the US Treasury Department in March 2018, when it announced sanctions against the Mabna Institute and 10 individuals, stating that the group had been acting at the behest of the IRGC. The Treasury Department had also noted that one of the hackers involved had attempted to extort $6 million from a US media company and was previously indicted in November 2017, demonstrating a pattern of aggressive cyber-operations and financial extortion.
The US Department of State’s Rewards for Justice programme is offering up to $10 million for information leading to the location of five of the defendants: Behzad Mesri, Mojtaba Galekuhi, Arman Kahzadian, Keyvan Fayaz, and Saber Shahbazi Ballojeh. This substantial reward reflects the seriousness with which US authorities view these alleged cyber-operations and their commitment to bringing the perpetrators to justice.
The case highlights the persistent challenge of state-sponsored cyber-operations and the ongoing efforts by US authorities to hold perpetrators accountable through legal and financial measures. With the charged individuals believed to be outside the United States and no extradition treaty with Iran, their apprehension remains uncertain. However, the US continues to pursue international cooperation and legal avenues to bring them to justice, signalling that such cyber-operations will not go unanswered.
US indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
![]()
-
metro3 days agoPalliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
-
Insurance2 days agoNAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
-
metro3 days agoLagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Politics3 days ago‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
-
metro1 day agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
Health3 days agoStage 4 Cancer: Understanding Ogogo’s Diagnosis and Treatment Options
-
Business2 days agoFuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele
-
Politics3 days agoADC Reveals Strategic Collaboration with Accord Party to Defeat APC in Osun Governorship Election
