Katsina tragedy: Wife allegedly murders husband three days into marriage - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Katsina tragedy: Wife allegedly murders husband three days into marriage

Published

on

Katsina tragedy: Wife allegedly murders husband three days into marriage

A community in Jibia, Katsina State, has been left in shock following the alleged killing of a newly married man, Abubakar Abdulkarim, popularly known as Dan Gaske, just three days after his wedding.

The couple tied the knot on Thursday, November 18, 2025, but the marriage ended tragically on Sunday when Abubakar was reportedly attacked while asleep. Residents allege that his wife used a knife to inflict a fatal cut on his neck.

According to a report by DAILY TRUST, a relative of the deceased, Aminu Danladi, said he had spent the morning with Abubakar discussing plans for a family visit later that day. He said the groom left home to prepare for the visit, only for the family to later learn he had been found dead in his residence.

Danladi dismissed rumours that the marriage was forced, noting that the couple maintained a cordial relationship before the wedding.

READ ALSO:

Community sources said the wife, believed to be in her 20s and from Katsina metropolis, was introduced to the groom by his nephew, who knew her as a former classmate at Government Girls Secondary School, Jibia. It was later revealed that she had previously been married and divorced—a detail the groom’s family reportedly did not know.

Residents believe the incident occurred between noon and 1 p.m. The suspect allegedly approached a neighbour shortly afterward, asking for food and appearing confused. Her behaviour raised suspicion among older women, who accompanied her home and discovered the groom’s body. Security operatives were immediately alerted.

The Katsina State Police Command has confirmed the incident. In a statement issued Monday, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abubakar Sadiq Aliyu, said the victim was found in a pool of blood with a deep neck wound and was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.

“One person is in custody in connection with the offence as investigation is underway to unravel the circumstances surrounding the unfortunate incident,” the statement read.

The Commissioner of Police, CP Bello Shehu, assured the public of a thorough investigation and urged anyone with useful information to come forward.

Katsina tragedy: Wife allegedly murders husband three days into marriage

Loading

metro

Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau

Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau

Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace, supported by vigilantes and local hunters, apprehended 30-year-old Halima Ibrahim during an intelligence-led raid in Bassa Local Government Area. The operation, linked to the recent abduction of a medical doctor, led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle, a locally fabricated revolver, and other military items.

Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace, in collaboration with members of the Vigilante Group of Nigeria and local hunters, have arrested a suspected gunrunner and recovered an AK-47 rifle, magazines and other military-related items in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State. The operation was carried out on Friday, August 21, following intelligence linking the area to the recent abduction of a medical doctor, Dr Abraham Owoicho, who was kidnapped on August 19.

According to security sources who spoke to security analyst Zagazola Makama, troops moved into Kisayi and Dogon Daji settlements after receiving intelligence on the activities of suspected criminals operating in the communities. The troops, supported by local security volunteers and hunters, raided the settlements and searched identified locations.

Several male residents reportedly fled into the surrounding bush when they sighted the advancing security personnel, leaving women and children behind. A 30-year-old woman, identified as Halima Ibrahim, was however arrested while allegedly attempting to escape with two AK-47 rifle magazines. Following her arrest, troops cordoned off and searched her residence in Kisayi B Village.

The search reportedly led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle, which investigators are working to trace to its source and determine its ownership. During preliminary questioning, the suspect allegedly told investigators that the rifle belonged to her husband, identified as Ibrahim. Troops also recovered a locally fabricated revolver pistol, a military jungle hat and three mobile phones from the residence. The suspect and the recovered items have been taken into military custody as investigations continue.

READ ALSO:

The Nigerian Army has reiterated its commitment to conducting intelligence-driven operations to dismantle criminal networks involved in kidnapping, arms trafficking, and other violent crimes across the country. The operation in Plateau was part of broader efforts, with separate operations in Edo State leading to the rescue of a kidnapped victim.

According to security sources, investigators are working to establish the source of the firearms, the circumstances surrounding their possession and any possible links between the suspects and criminal networks operating in the area. The operation forms part of ongoing efforts by security agencies to disrupt kidnapping networks and the illegal arms trade in Plateau State, particularly following recent abductions in Bassa Local Government Area. Further intelligence-driven operations are expected in the affected communities as security agencies continue investigations.

The arrest comes amid heightened security operations in Plateau State, where troops and other security agencies have intensified efforts to disrupt criminal networks. In a separate operation on August 19, troops of Sector 8, Operation Enduring Peace, recovered one AK-47 rifle, one locally fabricated AK-47 rifle, one locally fabricated revolver rifle, two Dane guns and 15 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition during a raid in Mangu Local Government Area, following intelligence about a suspected attack on Mwar community. The military has also intensified operations across the state, with troops of Sector 6 arresting 19 suspects in Riyom Local Government Area following an ambush that killed two security operatives.

Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts

Published

on

Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts

Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has lifted the restriction on Osun State Government bank accounts after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu directed the agency to vacate the order.

The affected accounts, held with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, are now operational, according to confirmations from both the Presidency and an aide to Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke.

A Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the restriction had been removed, saying the EFCC could not disregard the President’s directive.

“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately,” Ajayi said.

An aide to Governor Adeleke, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that the Post No Debit (PND) restriction had been vacated and that the state government’s accounts were functioning again.

The EFCC had imposed the restriction on August 5, 2026, as part of an investigation into the alleged fraudulent handling of about N11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC).

The commission said the investigation had been ongoing since March 2026 and was aimed at preventing the alleged diversion of public funds.

The decision to restrict the accounts, however, generated significant controversy because it came shortly before the August 15 Osun State governorship election.

READ ALSO:

The timing prompted allegations from the Osun State Government and its supporters that the EFCC action was politically motivated and intended to weaken Adeleke ahead of the election. The commission rejected the allegations and maintained that its action was connected to an ongoing financial investigation.

The dispute escalated after the President intervened and directed the EFCC to take steps to vacate the restriction.

Tinubu expressed concern about the timing of the action and its potential implications for public confidence in the electoral process, while also maintaining that anti-corruption agencies should carry out their responsibilities professionally.

The account restriction had also triggered a legal battle between the Osun State Government and the EFCC.

The state government approached the Federal High Court in Abuja to challenge the restriction and sought N2 billion in damages, arguing that the EFCC’s action unlawfully interfered with the state’s access to its funds.

The legal dispute changed following Tinubu’s intervention and the subsequent lifting of the restriction.

After being declared winner of the governorship election, Adeleke directed the Osun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the suit against the EFCC.

Adeleke said the President’s intervention had addressed the immediate dispute and that there was therefore no need to continue with the case.

With the accounts now operational, the immediate confrontation between the Osun State Government and the EFCC appears to have eased.

However, the lifting of the account restriction does not necessarily mean that the underlying investigation has been discontinued. The EFCC’s earlier allegations concerning the handling of about N11 billion remain separate from the decision to restore access to the accounts.

The development has also renewed discussions about the relationship between anti-corruption agencies and elected governments, particularly when financial investigations take place close to major elections.

For the Osun State Government, the restoration of access to its accounts removes an immediate financial constraint and allows the state to continue accessing funds required for government operations.

For the EFCC, the development means the financial investigation, if still ongoing, would have to proceed through the appropriate legal and investigative channels without the earlier account restriction.

Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling

Published

on

IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu's Release Following UN Ruling
Mazi Nnamdi Kanu

IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has called out the British Government for what it describes as a “selective outrage” and double standards in applying international law, citing a United Nations ruling that its leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, was subjected to torture and extraordinary rendition.

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has accused the British Government of hypocrisy and applying international law selectively over its stance on Israel and the continued detention of its leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu. The group was reacting to recent comments by the British Foreign Secretary concerning real estate development in Jerusalem. IPOB’s spokesperson, Comrade Emma Powerful, in a statement on Friday, said the group supports Israel and recognises Jerusalem as its “eternal and undivided capital”.

The group maintained that Britain lacks the moral authority to lecture Israel on international law while allegedly ignoring the findings and recommendations of United Nations human rights bodies concerning Kanu. According to IPOB, the United Nations Human Rights Council, acting under the UN General Assembly, has officially indicted Nigeria for what it described as gross violations of international law and fundamental norms in Kanu’s case. The group stated that the UN had determined that Kanu was subjected to torture and extraordinary rendition after being forcibly returned to Nigeria from Kenya in 2021, and the UN Working Group explicitly called for his immediate release and payment of compensation.

“These are not the words of IPOB. These are the findings of the highest international human rights bodies,” the statement emphasised. IPOB regretted that, rather than support this binding call for justice, Britain chose to assist Nigeria in defying international law. The group further lamented that the same Britain now lecturing Israel about international law turned a blind eye to the torture of a British citizen. “The same Britain invoking legal principles against our Israeli brothers and sisters actively helped Nigeria circumvent those very principles when it concerned Mazi Nnamdi Kanu,” the statement said.

READ ALSO:

IPOB also criticised the British Foreign Secretary’s position on Israel, describing it as entirely one-sided. The group accused the British Government of condemning Israel over construction near Jerusalem while allegedly failing to adequately address Palestinian terrorism, incitement, and the Palestinian Authority’s “pay for slay” policy. The group claimed that this policy of blaming only Israel while ignoring Palestinian extremism has contributed to a massive wave of antisemitic hatred against the British Jewish community.

IPOB vehemently rejected what it described as the patronising tone of the British government’s lectures, pointing out that the Jewish people have the right to live throughout the historic and Biblical land of Israel. “Jerusalem is Israel, and Israel is Jerusalem. The Balfour Declaration formally recognised this historic right more than a century ago,” the group said, adding that Britain, which still controls colonial territories thousands of miles from its shores, has no right to lecture the Jewish people about where they may live in their tiny historic homeland.

IPOB subsequently demanded what it described as consistency in Britain’s application of international law. The group called on the British Government to publicly support the UN findings concerning Kanu, demand his release and compensation from the Nigerian Government, and end what it described as the selective application of international law based on political convenience. “Britain must choose: respect international law for all, or be exposed as a hypocrite that uses law only as a weapon against its friends,” the statement concluded.

IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending