metro
MURIC Appeals ISI Hijab Judgment, Seeks Stay of Execution
MURIC Appeals ISI Hijab Judgment, Seeks Stay of Execution
The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC), Oyo State Chapter, has filed a notice of appeal against the judgment of the Court of Appeal on the International School, University of Ibadan (ISI) hijab case and urged the school management not to enforce its directive banning the use of hijab pending the determination of its application for a stay of execution.
The organisation disclosed this in a statement issued on Friday by its General Secretary, Mallam Ibrahim Agunbiade, following a notice reportedly issued by the management of ISI directing that, with effect from Monday, July 6, 2026, female students would no longer be permitted to wear the hijab with the school uniform.
According to MURIC, the directive was based on the judgment delivered earlier on Friday by the Court of Appeal, Ibadan, which overturned the May 22, 2024, ruling of the Oyo State High Court that had recognised the right of 11 Muslim female students to wear the hijab as part of their school uniform.
The group, however, said it had immediately commenced the appellate process by filing and serving a Notice of Appeal, alongside a Motion for Stay of Execution/Injunction Pending Appeal before the appropriate court.
MURIC argued that the filing of the appeal means the legal dispute has not been concluded and that the rights of the affected Muslim students remain subject to further judicial determination.
READ ALSO:
- Islamic Scholar Cautions Students Against Wasteful ‘Signing-Out’ Shirt Tradition
- South Africa Rejects Nigeria’s Compensation Request Over Xenophobic Attacks
- 13 Women, 12 Men Arrested as Kebbi Hisbah Cracks Down on Immoral Activities in Hotel
“The filing and service of these processes signify that the legal contest is far from concluded,” the organisation said.
It maintained that implementing the Court of Appeal judgment before the pending application for a stay of execution is determined would be inappropriate and could prejudice the judicial process.
The group therefore called on the management of the International School, University of Ibadan, to exercise restraint and refrain from enforcing the directive pending the court’s decision on its application.
According to MURIC, taking steps to implement the judgment at this stage could render the pending application ineffective and heighten tensions within the school community.
The organisation reiterated its commitment to resolving the dispute through lawful means, stressing that the protection of fundamental rights and peaceful coexistence can only be guaranteed through respect for due process and judicial proceedings.
MURIC also appealed to Muslim parents, guardians, students and members of the Muslim community to remain calm, peaceful and law-abiding while the legal process continues.
It urged stakeholders to avoid any action capable of disrupting public peace, expressing confidence that the courts would ultimately determine the matter in accordance with the Constitution and the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
The organisation reaffirmed its commitment to pursuing all available legal remedies in defence of what it described as the constitutional rights of Muslim students.
The latest development comes hours after the Court of Appeal, in a split decision, held that ISI is a private school because it does not receive direct government subventions and ruled that the Supreme Court’s earlier judgment recognising the right of Muslim students to wear the hijab applies only to publicly funded schools.
The appellate court also held that the affected students voluntarily accepted the school’s dress code upon admission. However, it upheld the finding that confining the students to the school library over their use of the hijab violated their rights, although it reduced the damages awarded by the High Court.
The case is expected to proceed to the Supreme Court, where the final determination on the dispute over the use of the hijab at ISI will be made.
MURIC Appeals ISI Hijab Judgment, Seeks Stay of Execution
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Politics1 day agoDavido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
-
metro3 days agoFrom Pulpit to Ifá Shrine: Ex-Pastor Exposes ‘Deceit’ in Christianity, Embraces Yoruba Tradition
