News
Pandora Papers: EFCC invites Peter Obi for questioning
Former Governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi, whose secret and alleged illegal offshore activities were reported in the ongoing Pandora Papers series, has been summoned for questioning by the Nigeria’s anti-corruption agency, Economic Financial Crimes Commission.
It is the first known action by any Nigerian law enforcement agency since PREMIUM TIMES started reporting influential Nigerians involved in offshore shenanigans exposed through the global Pandora Papers investigation.
The Presidency has directed that Nigerians exposed in the reports be investigated, according to reliable sources in the Aso Rock, the seat of power.
It was learnt that the EFCC communicated the invitation to Obi during the week and he has been asked to report at the agency’s Abuja headquarters on October 27 to face investigators.
Sources separately said the invitation is in connection with revelations in our Pandora Papers report. The report exposed how Mr Obi incorporated offshore holdings, which he did not declare to the Code of Conduct Bureau when he served as a governor and how he continued to manage his Next International UK Limited 14 months after becoming a governor. In addition, he also continued to operate a foreign account as a governor.
All these actions, which had been secret until our report, were in contravention of Nigeria’s laws on code of conduct for public officers, PREMIUM TIMES reported. Mr Obi has, however, continued to claim no wrongdoing.
However, a source at the anti-graft agency said the Pandora Papers revelations only served as a lead for investigators and that “a number of issues” are now being investigated regarding Mr Obi and his offshore dealings.
Pandora Papers: Investigation Reveals How Ex-Nigerian Governor, Peter Obi Repeatedly Broke The Law Amid Many Secret Businesses
Apart from Mr Obi, acting NPA MD, Mohammed Bello-Koko, and former minister and serving senator, Stella Oduah, have been reported in the PREMIUM TIMES’ ongoing Pandora Papers series.
Others included Governor Abubakar Bagudu of Kebbi State, Governor Gboyega Oyetola of Osun State as well as his associates including former Lagos Bola Tinubu, and Ogun State Governor Dapo Abiodun. We also reported the offshore links of children of former NSA Sambo Dasuki and billionaire Leno Adesanya.
It was learnt that President Muhammadu Buhari had requested relevant law agencies, including the EFCC, Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit, and the Code of Conduct Bureau to investigate all Nigerians whose secret, many times suspicious, dealings were exposed in Pandora Papers series.
It is not clear if the EFCC’s action on Mr Obi is connected to Mr Buhari’s directive.
However, a source said the anti-graft agency’s investigations would be extended to “all persons reported with links to the Pandora Papers.”
“It is an ongoing, gradual process,” the source said, asking not to be identified.
News
Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers
Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers
United States President, Donald Trump, has introduced a sweeping immigration proposal that could halt the issuance and renewal of work permits for asylum seekers for many years, marking what analysts describe as one of the most consequential shifts in U.S. asylum employment policy in decades.
The proposed rule, released on Friday by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), seeks to suspend new employment authorisation for asylum applicants until the average processing time for designated asylum cases falls to 180 days or fewer.
According to DHS data, the asylum case backlog now exceeds 1.4 million applications, with the department projecting that meeting the 180-day benchmark could take between 14 and 173 years under current conditions—effectively creating an indefinite suspension of asylum work permits.
Despite the bleak projections, DHS said administrative restructuring, staffing increases, and efficiency-focused reforms could eventually reduce processing delays. However, officials acknowledged that significant improvements would take time.
READ ALSO:
- Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare
- Abuja Church Expels Newly Married Woman Over Refusal to Consummate Marriage
- Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom
In a statement accompanying the proposal, DHS said the rule, if finalised, “would reduce incentives for frivolous, fraudulent, or otherwise meritless asylum claims.” The department stressed that work authorisation is not an entitlement, but a discretionary benefit granted by the DHS secretary.
If implemented, the policy would generally bar migrants who entered the United States unlawfully from receiving new work permits or renewing existing ones while their asylum claims remain pending.
Limited exemptions would apply only to individuals who alerted U.S. border officials within 48 hours of arrival that they feared persecution, torture, or faced another urgent humanitarian threat.
The proposal forms part of a broader immigration clampdown under President Trump, who returned to office in 2025 after campaigning on stricter border enforcement and tougher asylum standards.
Throughout his campaign and early months back in office, Trump portrayed immigrants and asylum seekers as economic and security burdens, claims that critics argue are not supported by crime or labour market data.
Immigrant advocacy groups, civil rights organisations, and some Democratic lawmakers have criticised the proposal, warning that denying work permits could push asylum seekers into poverty, increase dependence on charities, and drive people into undocumented employment.
Legal experts also expect significant court challenges, arguing that the rule could weaken long-standing U.S. and international asylum protections and undermine due-process guarantees.
The proposal will undergo a 60-day public comment period once it is formally published in the Federal Register on Monday. The regulatory process could extend for months or even years, with the final outcome uncertain amid anticipated legal battles.
Until then, existing regulations governing asylum seeker work permits in the United States remain in force.
Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers
News
Agege Council Announces Free 3kg Cooking Gas Refill for 4,000 Residents
Agege Council Announces Free 3kg Cooking Gas Refill for 4,000 Residents
The Chairman of Agege Local Government Area, Abdulganiyu Obasa, has announced a free 3kg cooking gas refill programme for 4,000 residents of the council area.
Obasa made the announcement via a post on X on Friday, stating that the initiative is aimed at reducing household energy costs and providing immediate relief at the grassroots amid rising prices of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG).
According to the council chairman, beneficiaries will be selected from the seven wards in Agege, with equal allocation across all wards to ensure fairness, accessibility, and inclusiveness.
“As part of our continued commitment to easing the daily burdens faced by our people, I am pleased to announce a free cooking gas refill programme for 4,000 residents across the seven wards in Agege,” Obasa said.
He explained that designated gas refill stations have been assigned to each ward, adding that the distribution would run on a first-come, first-served basis. Residents are required to bring their personal gas cylinders, as only refill services will be provided.
READ ALSO:
- Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder
- FCT Polls: S’Court, A’Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities
- Lassa Fever Deaths in Nigeria Rise to 51 After 15 Killed in Early February – NCDC
Obasa warned that once the allocated slots for any ward are exhausted, the exercise would be concluded in that location.
The council boss said the intervention is part of measures to cushion the impact of rising gas prices, support vulnerable households, and promote the use of cleaner and safer cooking energy.
“This is one of several people-focused programmes we are implementing to improve quality of life, encourage clean energy adoption, and demonstrate that governance must be felt where it matters most — in our homes and communities,” he stated.
Obasa is the son of the Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, though the council stressed that the initiative is part of its local social intervention programmes.
The announcement has attracted mixed reactions on social media, with many residents welcoming the scheme as timely relief amid economic pressure.
However, some critics questioned the sustainability of the intervention, arguing that job creation, empowerment programmes, and small business support would provide more long-term economic solutions.
As of the time of filing this report, no official response had been issued by Obasa to the criticisms, though council officials said further details on distribution dates and locations would be communicated through official channels.
Agege Council Announces Free 3kg Cooking Gas Refill for 4,000 Residents
News
UniAbuja Student Sadiya Usman Found Safe After Two Days Missing
UniAbuja Student Sadiya Usman Found Safe After Two Days Missing
The University of Abuja (UniAbuja) has confirmed that 100-level student Sadiya Usman has been found safe after being reported missing earlier this week. The university expressed relief and gratitude to the public and security agencies for their assistance in locating the student.
Sadiya Usman, who is enrolled in the Department of Accounting, was last seen leaving her residence at Kontagora Estate, Gwagwalada, Abuja, on Tuesday, 18 February 2026, at around 8:00 a.m. She was on her way to the university’s Main Campus to sit for her Computer-Based Test (GST 111) but did not arrive for the exam.
READ ALSO:
- Lassa Fever Deaths in Nigeria Rise to 51 After 15 Killed in Early February – NCDC
- Mob Kills Injured Motorcycle Rider After AK‑47 Rifles, Ammunition Found in Crash Scene
- Tacha Condemns False Rape Allegations After Mirabel Admits Fabrication
After her disappearance, her guardian reported her missing when all attempts to reach her by phone were unsuccessful. The university promptly activated internal safety protocols and collaborated with security agencies, campus authorities, and the public to ensure her safe recovery.
The student was eventually located late on Thursday, 20 February 2026, around 11:49 p.m., and is reported to be safe, unhurt, and in stable condition. Authorities confirmed that coordinated efforts between the university, law enforcement, and concerned members of the public were instrumental in her recovery.
The university reaffirmed its commitment to student safety and welfare, promising continuous updates as necessary. It also thanked those who responded to the public appeal for information and urged students and parents to remain vigilant about safety.
This incident highlights the importance of campus security measures, timely reporting of missing persons, and the role of community involvement in safeguarding students.
UniAbuja Student Sadiya Usman Found Safe After Two Days Missing
-
International2 days agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
Politics24 hours agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
News1 day agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
News3 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
International1 day agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
metro2 days agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
-
Politics2 days agoUpdated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
-
metro2 days agoOndo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North


