Prove terrorists didn’t fund #EndSARS protests, Akeredolu challenge campaigners - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Prove terrorists didn’t fund #EndSARS protests, Akeredolu challenge campaigners

Published

on

The Chairman of the South-West Governors’ Forum, Rotimi Akeredolu (SAN), has told the #EndSARS campaigners whose bank accounts have been frozen by the Central Bank of Nigeria to show proof that the recent national youth protests were not funded by terrorists.

He urged them to approach any competent court to show the sources of funds in the frozen accounts and what the money was being used for.

Akeredolu, who is also governor of Ondo State, spoke on Wednesday on Channels Television’s Sunrise programme, said the issue was discussed last Sunday at the meeting of governors, traditional rulers and other stakeholders in the region held in Lagos.

He said, “The issue of the accounts that were frozen was discussed but nobody said in the communique that we appreciated the government for freezing the accounts.

“We know that there are ways to get a few things done without putting it in the public glare and start contestation on the pages of newspapers. So, we know what we decided and we know what we want to do about that.

“The issue, when it was raised generated some debate here and there. But it was so clear that some people were getting to fund this for reasons other than #EndSARS. So, if we know money moved from some accounts that were suspicious, do you say the government should keep quiet? It is something we are looking into.”

Bank accounts of 20 #EndSARS promoters and protesters have been frozen after an Abuja Federal High Court had issued an exparte order to that effect as requested by the CBN.

Those whose bank accounts were frozen are Bolatito Racheal Oduala, Chima David Ibebunjoh, Mary Doose Kpengwa, Saadat Temitope Bibi, Bassey Victor Israel, Wisdom Busaosowo Obi, Nicholas Ikhalea Osazele, Ebere Idibie, Akintomide Lanre Yusuf, Uhuo Ezenwanyi Promise and Mosopefoluwa Odeseye.

Others are Adegoke Pamilerin Yusif, Umoh Grace Ekanem, Babatunde Victor Segun, Mulu Louis Teghenan, Mary Oshifowora, Winifred Akpevweoghene Jacob, Victor Solomon, Idunu A. Williams, and Gatefield Nigeria Limited.

Lagos State judicial panel of inquiry probing activities of personnel of the disbanded special anti-robbery squad had to suspend its sitting over the withdrawal of two ENDSARS campaigners and members of the panel, Bolatito Olorunrinu and Temitope Majekodunmi, whose bank accounts were frozen.

The Nigerian Bar Association, many prominent lawyers and human right activists have condemned the action of the CBN in freezing the bank accounts of youth protesters.

News

UniAbuja Student Sadiya Usman Found Safe After Two Days Missing

Published

on

Sadiya Usman

UniAbuja Student Sadiya Usman Found Safe After Two Days Missing

The University of Abuja (UniAbuja) has confirmed that 100-level student Sadiya Usman has been found safe after being reported missing earlier this week. The university expressed relief and gratitude to the public and security agencies for their assistance in locating the student.

Sadiya Usman, who is enrolled in the Department of Accounting, was last seen leaving her residence at Kontagora Estate, Gwagwalada, Abuja, on Tuesday, 18 February 2026, at around 8:00 a.m. She was on her way to the university’s Main Campus to sit for her Computer-Based Test (GST 111) but did not arrive for the exam.

READ ALSO:

After her disappearance, her guardian reported her missing when all attempts to reach her by phone were unsuccessful. The university promptly activated internal safety protocols and collaborated with security agencies, campus authorities, and the public to ensure her safe recovery.

The student was eventually located late on Thursday, 20 February 2026, around 11:49 p.m., and is reported to be safe, unhurt, and in stable condition. Authorities confirmed that coordinated efforts between the university, law enforcement, and concerned members of the public were instrumental in her recovery.

The university reaffirmed its commitment to student safety and welfare, promising continuous updates as necessary. It also thanked those who responded to the public appeal for information and urged students and parents to remain vigilant about safety.

This incident highlights the importance of campus security measures, timely reporting of missing persons, and the role of community involvement in safeguarding students.

UniAbuja Student Sadiya Usman Found Safe After Two Days Missing

Continue Reading

News

Police to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim

Published

on

TikToker and aesthetic vendor, Mirabel

Police to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim

The Ogun State Police Command has confirmed plans to arrest and prosecute TikTok user Mirabel after she admitted that her viral rape allegation was false, authorities and investigative reports indicate.

Mirabel, a social media influencer, first sparked national attention after posting videos alleging she had been sexually assaulted in her home in Ogijo, Ogun State. The posts quickly went viral, drawing widespread outrage, calls for justice, and prompting the police to launch an immediate investigation.

An audio recording of a phone conversation, shared online by social media personality VeryDarkMan (VDM), reportedly captures Mirabel acknowledging that parts of her story were fabricated. In the recording, she apologises and admits creating a threatening TikTok account to support her narrative, claiming she had been taking drugs at the time and “was not thinking clearly” when posting the videos.

READ ALSO:

A police source said senior officers, including the Divisional Police Officer, were at the hospital where Mirabel was receiving medical care. Once she is discharged, she will be taken into custody and formally charged under provisions of Nigeria’s Criminal Code relating to false reporting of sexual offenses. “The essence is to serve as a deterrent to others,” the source added.

The Ogun State Police had earlier ensured that Mirabel received medical treatment and support, following procedures to protect her health while the investigation continued. The Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA) confirmed that the incident fell outside its jurisdiction and forwarded all relevant information to the Ogun authorities.

This development has sparked public debate about the responsible use of social media, the impact of false allegations, and the importance of evidence-based reporting. Legal experts warn that fabricating sexual assault claims can carry serious criminal penalties and may undermine the credibility of genuine victims.

Authorities continue to urge the public to avoid spreading unverified claims and to cooperate with law enforcement in ongoing investigations. Updates on the case will be issued by the Ogun State Police Command as formal legal proceedings begin.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Türkiye President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Türkiye President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan

Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU

President Bola Tinubu has commenced a strategic expansion of Nigeria’s defence diplomacy, engaging the European Union (EU) and Turkey to strengthen the nation’s security architecture while reducing overreliance on the United States. The initiative comes as Nigeria faces multiple security threats, including Boko Haram insurgency in the north-east, farmer-herder clashes in the north-central region, separatist violence in the south-east, and escalating banditry in the north-west.

The move coincided with a visit to Brussels by National Security Adviser Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, who led discussions at the first EU-Nigeria Peace, Security, and Defence Dialogue. Both sides agreed to deepen collaboration on regional stability, counter-terrorism, and violent extremism, while enhancing intelligence sharing, maritime security, and cybersecurity cooperation. An EU diplomat in Abuja emphasized that the bloc would provide non-lethal military support, while respecting Nigeria’s sovereignty, describing the EU as “more consistent, more reliable, and more coherent than the United States” in delivering security assistance.

READ ALSO:

During his state visit to Turkey in January 2026, President Tinubu also held defence discussions with Turkish officials. Turkish companies pledged to supply military equipment, advanced systems, and tactical hardware, while exploring joint local production arrangements with Nigeria. Türkiye is currently regarded as a global leader in armed drones, which could bolster Nigeria’s counter-terrorism operations and reconnaissance capabilities.

Despite these new partnerships, Nigeria continues security cooperation with the United States, including deployments by United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) to support training, intelligence sharing, and operational planning. Recent U.S. personnel arrivals in Bauchi State aim to enhance counter-terrorism capacity without taking direct combat roles, operating under Nigerian command structures.

Analysts say Nigeria’s diversified defence diplomacy seeks to reduce dependency on a single partner, while providing access to a wider range of technology transfer, training opportunities, procurement options, and operational expertise. The strategy also reflects a broader trend of African nations balancing traditional defence alliances with emerging strategic partners to better address evolving security threats.

With regional instability and domestic insurgency on the rise, Nigeria’s engagement with Turkey, the EU, and other partners is expected to strengthen the Nigerian Armed Forces, enhance counter-terrorism operations, and secure national and regional stability.

Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending