Train Attack: We’ll kill train passengers if FG fails to meet our demands - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Train Attack: We’ll kill train passengers if FG fails to meet our demands

Published

on

The bandits, who abducted passengers on a Kaduna-bound train last month, have threatened to kill them if the federal government fails to meet their demands.

In a video released on Wednesday, the armed men said they were not interested in money, adding that the Federal Government knows what they were asking for.

The video, which was less then two minutes, had four of the bandits with one of the abducted passengers – Mr Alwan Hassan, Managing Director of Bank of Agriculture.

One of them, who spoke in Hausa, said the MD was released due to his age and in the spirit of Ramadan.

Daily Trust observed that the terrorists, clad in military uniform, made the video at the Forward Operational Base in Polwire, Birnin Gwari, Kaduna State, which was attacked on Monday.

One of the Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) that was burnt during the attack was used as a background in the video.

READ ALSO:

“We are the group that kidnapped passengers on the train few days ago. Among them is this man that was pleading with us due to his old age and we felt pity on him due to the month of Ramadan, so, we want to give him back to his family.”

“But the government should not misunderstand this, as it is a gesture we made because of the pity we had on him.”

The bandits then asked the MD to make some remarks. Speaking briefly, Hassan said he was released out of pity.

“I want to witness to everyone that they took pity on me due to my old age. I was told to go out but I want to assure everyone that I left huge number of people behind and they are in situation that requires help for them to be released fast. I hope that government will meet the head of this group to release as them as soon as possible,” he said

One of the bandits added, “I want to reiterate that what he said is true. Don’t try to try to investigate us immediately or to rescue them because killing them is not an issue for us. We don’t want your money, if we want money, we wouldn’t have carried out the attack. You know what we want,” he said.

DAILY TRUST

metro

Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors

Published

on

Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road

Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors

The Osun State Government has awarded the 55.6-kilometre Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan road project to three contractors as part of a strategic effort to accelerate construction, improve inter-state connectivity, and stimulate economic activity along the busy southwestern corridor linking Osun and Oyo states.

According to the Osun State Ministry of Works and Transport, the road has been divided into three segments and awarded to Pecular Ultimate Concerns, Kimzee Global Resources, and A’skorg Integrated Service Limited, with all contractors expected to be mobilised this month. The segmented approach aims to ensure timely delivery, improve supervision, and reduce construction bottlenecks.

READ ALSO:

The announcement comes amid ongoing infrastructure interventions in Iwo town, including the construction of a 3.6-kilometre dual carriageway — the first of its kind in the local government. Engr. Moruf Ojebode, Director of Highways, confirmed that phase one of the dual carriageway, spanning from Odo-Ori Market to Oja-Oba near the post office, is already 50% complete, with drainage, medians, and pedestrian walkways under development. Internal roads connecting key districts, including Ansarudeen to Puti Road, Fesu Agbowo Road, and Army Junction to Jagun Ode Road, have also been completed.

Residents and community leaders have commended Governor Ademola Adeleke’s administration for prioritising infrastructure development, noting the projects’ impact on mobility, safety, and local commerce. Prof. Lai Olurode, Chairman of the Iwo Board of Trustees, described the upgrades as a “visible Adeleke revolution,” emphasizing that connecting township roads to the main highway will enhance usability and economic benefits. Similarly, Chief Mujidat Sarumi, Iyaloja of Iwo land, praised the projects for opening up the local economy and supporting trade.

The Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan road is a key trade artery in southwestern Nigeria. Once completed, it is expected to reduce travel time, ease congestion, improve road safety, and strengthen regional trade and investment opportunities. By splitting the highway project among multiple contractors, the government hopes to speed construction timelines while maintaining high standards of quality and supervision.

Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors

Continue Reading

metro

Mexico‑Based Nigerian fraudster Gets 8 Years for $1.3M U.S. Tax Fraud

Published

on

US Court Jails Nigerian for Defrauding 400+ Americans

Mexico‑Based Nigerian fraudster Gets 8 Years for $1.3M U.S. Tax Fraud

A U.S. federal court has sentenced Matthew A. Akande, a Nigerian national based in Mexico, to eight years (96 months) in prison for orchestrating a sophisticated fraud that defrauded the U.S. government of $1.3 million through fraudulent tax refund claims, the U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ) confirmed.

Akande, 37, was convicted for his central role in a conspiracy that used stolen taxpayer information to file more than 1,000 fraudulent tax returns, seeking over $8.1 million in unlawful refunds. Of those, the group successfully obtained $1,393,230 in illicit refunds before law enforcement dismantled the scheme.

U.S. District Court Judge Indira Talwani handed down the prison sentence at a federal courthouse in Boston, Massachusetts, where Akande was also ordered to pay full restitution of $1,393,230 to the U.S. government.

According to the DoJ, Akande and his co‑conspirators carried out the fraud over approximately five years by stealing taxpayers’ personally identifiable information (PII) through cyber intrusions and phishing attacks on tax preparation firms in Massachusetts.

READ ALSO:

The fraud used a type of malicious software known as Warzone Remote Access Trojan (RAT), which was embedded in seemingly legitimate emails sent to tax firms. The emails purported to be from prospective clients, tricking staff into downloading the malware, which then gave the conspirators remote access to systems and sensitive client data.

Once the attackers gained access, they used the stolen PII — including Social Security numbers, prior tax records, and other sensitive information — to file fraudulent federal tax returns, claiming large refunds. After the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issued the refunds, Akande’s network withdrew the stolen funds in cash across the United States. Portions of the money were then transferred overseas, including into accounts in Mexico, under Akande’s direction.

Akande was arrested in October 2024 at Heathrow Airport in the United Kingdom. After extradition proceedings, he was brought to the United States on March 5, 2025, to face federal charges.

In July 2022, a federal grand jury indicted Akande on multiple counts, including:

  • Conspiracy to commit wire fraud, identity theft, and theft of government money
  • Wire fraud
  • Unauthorized access to protected computers in furtherance of fraud
  • Theft of government funds
  • Aggravated identity theft

These charges reflect the wide reach of the scheme, which combined cybercrime tactics with financial fraud to exploit federal tax systems.

Prosecutors highlighted that the case underscores growing concerns about transnational cybercrime, particularly schemes targeting government benefits and tax systems. Nigerian nationals — both inside Africa and abroad — have previously been linked by U.S. authorities to various phishing, business email compromise, and identity theft operations, though many Nigerians abroad also contribute legitimately to global tech and financial sectors.

The Akande case involved cooperation between U.S. investigators, the U.K. authorities, and Mexican law enforcement, illustrating the international nature of both cybercrime and law enforcement response.

Judge Talwani’s ruling reflects the seriousness with which U.S. courts are treating digital financial fraud, particularly when it targets public funds, undermines trust in tax systems, and exploits individuals’ personal data.

Mexico‑Based Nigerian fraudster Gets 8 Years for $1.3M U.S. Tax Fraud

Continue Reading

metro

Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano

Published

on

Kano State Hisbah command

Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano

Officials of the Kano State Hisbah Board have arrested nine Muslims in Kano State for allegedly failing to observe fasting during Ramadan, triggering renewed debate over religious enforcement and personal freedoms in northern Nigeria.

According to the Hisbah authorities, the arrests were carried out during routine patrols across parts of Kano metropolis after reports that some individuals were eating and drinking publicly during fasting hours. The suspects were picked up at different locations, including eateries and roadside areas, and were subsequently taken into custody for questioning.

A senior Hisbah official explained that the enforcement action was in line with the agency’s mandate to uphold Islamic moral standards during the holy month of Ramadan, particularly among Muslims who are expected to fast from dawn to sunset.

The official noted that exemptions exist for certain categories of people, including the sick, pregnant women, travelers, and nursing mothers, but stressed that anyone claiming exemption must provide valid justification.

READ ALSO:

“The essence of this exercise is not to punish but to ensure compliance with Islamic principles and preserve the sanctity of Ramadan,” the official said, adding that those arrested would be counselled and possibly released after undertaking to observe the fast.

The arrests have, however, drawn mixed reactions from residents and rights advocates. While some Kano residents supported the move, arguing that public disregard for fasting offends religious sensibilities, others expressed concern over civil liberties and freedom of religion, especially in a plural society.

This is not the first time the Hisbah Board has taken such action. The agency has a history of enforcing Ramadan-related regulations, including the closure of eateries during fasting hours and warnings against public consumption of food by Muslims.

Kano State operates an Islamic legal system alongside conventional law, and the Hisbah Board plays a central role in religious and moral enforcement, particularly during Ramadan.


Background: Hisbah and Ramadan Enforcement in Kano

The Kano State Hisbah Board is a government-backed moral enforcement body established to promote Islamic ethics and social order. Its activities typically intensify during Ramadan, a period regarded by Muslims as sacred and spiritually significant.

Over the years, Hisbah’s actions—ranging from arrests for public eating to crackdowns on alcohol and “immoral conduct”—have sparked recurring debates about human rights, religious tolerance, and the limits of state-backed moral policing.

Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending