Train attack: Agriculture bank MD released in honour of Ramadan —Terrorists - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Train attack: Agriculture bank MD released in honour of Ramadan —Terrorists

Published

on

Alwan Ali-Hassan

Kidnapped Managing Director of the Bank of Agriculture, Alwan Ali-Hassan, was released in the spirit of Ramadan, his captors have said.

The terrorists made this known in an 81-second video posted on Twitter by a Senior Conflict Analyst at the Tony Blair Institute, Bulama Bukarti.

In the video, Ali-Hassan was flanked by four heavily armed men dressed in military camouflage.

After a short prayer and praise of God and his prophet in Arabic language, one of the terrorists said, “We are the ones who kidnapped the people on the train. We decided to release this man (Ali-Hassan) because of the honour of the month of Ramadan and because he is old. He has been pleading since we kidnapped him.

READ ALSO:

“The government should know that the train attack is just a little of what we can do.”

Also, Ali-Hassan, in the video, said he was freed because of his age.

Analysing the video, Bukarti said that early evidence suggests that Abuja-Kaduna train attackers are Boko Haram fighters.

The PUNCH had earlier reported that Ali-Hassan, on Wednesday, regained his freedom from terrorists who kidnapped him alongside others after bombing an Abuja-Kaduna train on Monday, March 28, 2022.

The Kaduna-bound train officially had over 362 passengers but unconfirmed reports claimed the passengers were more than that. Some of the passengers have been confirmed dead, scores injured and others in the den of the vicious terrorists who have launched daring attacks in Kaduna in the last two weeks.

PUNCH

metro

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Published

on

Mercy Johnson-Okojie
Mercy Johnson-Okojie

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has appointed popular Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson‑Okojie as Special Adviser on Public Engagement and Advocacy, in a move aimed at strengthening government–citizen communication across the state.

The appointment, announced on Thursday in a statement by the Secretary to the State Government, Musa Ikhilor, said the governor approved the nomination to enhance public engagement, improve awareness of government policies and programmes, and deepen grassroots participation in governance.

According to the statement, the Okpebholo administration believes Johnson-Okojie’s wide reach and influence will help bridge the communication gap between the Edo State Government and residents, particularly at the community level.

READ ALSO:

Johnson-Okojie is an accomplished Nigerian actress, producer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist, with nearly two decades in Nollywood and appearances in over 200 films, making her one of the industry’s most recognisable figures.

Beyond entertainment, she is the founder of the Mercy Johnson Okojie Foundation, through which she has championed women empowerment, child welfare, education support, and healthcare outreach initiatives across Nigeria—efforts the government says align with its people-centred governance agenda.

The statement added that the new adviser is expected to leverage her public influence and grassroots networks to promote policy awareness, encourage citizen feedback, and support advocacy initiatives of the state government.

Johnson-Okojie is married to Odianosen Okojie, who represents Esan North East/Esan South East Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives.

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Continue Reading

metro

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Published

on

Nigerian military troop
Nigerian military troop

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Dozens of people are feared dead following coordinated attacks by suspected Lakurawa militants on several rural communities in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi.

Local residents and security sources said the gunmen stormed multiple villages on Wednesday, firing indiscriminately at civilians and setting houses ablaze, triggering panic, displacement, and widespread destruction in the remote border district.

Preliminary security assessments indicate that at least 16 people were killed in Mamunu, five in Awashaka, three in Masama, while two fatalities each were recorded in five other affected villages. Several residents were also reported injured, while others remain unaccounted for after fleeing into nearby bushes and neighbouring settlements.

READ ALSO:

Survivors described the assaults as highly coordinated, with the attackers arriving in groups, blocking escape routes, and targeting homes and gathering points before withdrawing. The attacks forced many families to abandon their homes as fires engulfed residential buildings and farmlands.

The latest violence has heightened concerns over worsening insecurity in Kebbi’s border communities, which have faced repeated attacks in recent months, often linked to armed groups exploiting porous borders and difficult terrain.

In response, security forces have been deployed to the affected areas, with joint teams carrying out search-and-tracking operations to prevent the assailants from escaping and to restore calm. Efforts are also underway to support survivors and displaced residents.

Confirming the incident, the Kebbi State Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, said the command was aware of the attacks and that investigations were ongoing, assuring that further updates would be provided as details are consolidated.

Authorities have urged residents to remain vigilant and cooperate with security agencies, while community leaders continue to call for a stronger and sustained security presence to prevent further attacks in the area.

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Continue Reading

metro

Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

Published

on

Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

 

The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) has apologised to commuters after an air-conditioning malfunction disrupted services on the Oyingbo–Agbado Red Line corridor, leaving passengers stranded in uncomfortable conditions.

The disruption, which sparked complaints and viral social media videos showing overcrowded and overheated coaches, was traced to technical faults in the cooling system of one of the train sets. LAMATA acknowledged the inconvenience and said immediate steps were taken to rectify the issue.

In a statement signed by its Head of Corporate Communication, Mr Kolawole Ojelabi, the agency said its technical and engineering teams had been deployed to diagnose and fix the root cause of the failure.

“Restoration works are ongoing, and efforts are being intensified to return the affected coaches to optimal operating condition as swiftly as possible. LAMATA remains firmly committed to delivering safe, efficient and world-class rail services,” Ojelabi said.

Beyond the immediate repairs, LAMATA announced plans to strengthen operations on the Red Line with the addition of 24 new coaches. The delivery, expected by the third quarter of 2026, will comprise three train sets of eight coaches each, aimed at improving capacity, reliability and passenger comfort along the busy corridor.

The agency assured residents that proactive measures are being taken to minimise future technical disruptions and enhance service quality across its rail network.

Meanwhile, the General Manager of the Lagos State Office for Disability Affairs (LASODA), Mrs Adenike Oyetunde-Lawal, commended LAMATA for its swift response and ongoing efforts to make public transport inclusive.

During a visit to LAMATA’s headquarters in Ojota, she lauded the accessibility features in the state’s buses and trains and proposed the creation of dedicated Disability Support Offices at major transport hubs to assist persons with disabilities.

According to her, such offices would serve as complaint and help desks, offering guidance and support to commuters who require assistance. She also pledged LASODA’s support in translating onboard information into sign language to enhance accessibility.

Responding, LAMATA Managing Director, Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to ensuring safe and satisfactory travel for all commuters.

She noted that the Blue Line rail system is fully accessible to persons with disabilities and urged affected passengers to report any incidents of abuse or discrimination to uniformed officials.

As repairs continue on the affected Red Line coaches, LAMATA says passenger comfort and safety remain central to its operations.

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending