Politics
Lagos PDP calls for cancellation of state party primaries
The Lagos State Chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party has urged the party’s National Working Committee to cancel the House of Assembly and House of Representatives primaries slated for Sunday in Lagos.
The PDP Chairman in Lagos State, Philips Aivoji, made the call at a news conference he addressed on Sunday.
Aivoji spoke alongside other state executives of the party, governorship aspirants and party leaders in Ikeja.
He alleged the ad-hoc delegates’ list brought by the electoral committees for both primaries had been compromised.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that uncertainty and apprehension trailed the conduct of the primaries as delegates and aspirants waited at various venues in local government areas for election officers from PDP national headquarters, who as at the time of filing this report, had yet to be seen at any of the venues.
Aivoji said, “The entire executive committee of Lagos State PDP and five of the six gubernatorial aspirants reject in its entirety the ad-hoc delegates’ list brought by the electoral committee to Lagos State for the purpose of conducting the primaries.
“We are all shocked to see that the list does not reflect the authentic elected ad-hoc delegates as conducted by organs of the party at ward level and supervised by the DSS (Department of State Services) and INEC (Independent National Electoral Commission).
“It is imperative to state that copies of the ad-hoc list that emanated from the state and submitted to INEC are completely different from the one brought by the committee for the purpose of the exercise.
“We realised that contrary to the provision of our great party and the electoral guidelines of the party, the election committee came to the state with list of venues and already chosen electoral officers.”
According to Aivoji, this is the responsibility of the state executive committee of the party and, therefore, unacceptable.
He added that the chairman and secretary of the election committee meant to conduct the State House of Assembly primary election had not reported to the state chairman or state organ of the party.
He said, “Up till this moment, we cannot reach out to the committee chairman and secretary, their telephones have either been switched off or unreachable.
“As law-abiding members of our great party, we collectively reject this list and we cannot guarantee, free, fair and credible party primaries that we have sworn to conduct.
“The processes have been compromised ab initio and skewed. We, therefore, call for outright cancellation of the election.
“Doing otherwise will jeopardise the chances of the party in the 2023 polls.”
The Chairman said that if the exercise would go on, it could lead to a litigations.
He said that the process that brought about the authentic delegates’ list was done in consonance with the constitution of the party, as all relevant stakeholders were carried along.
Aivoji said, “We want to know the person at the national level that gave them (electoral committee) the order not to consult the state executives in the exercise.
“We want to get this list right because, as we speak, we are toying with the lives of millions of Lagos residents.
“We have been in the valley for so long, this is an opportunity for us to get it right to win the general elections in the state.
“We must douse the tension now.”
According to Aivoji, what the electoral committee intends to do is to cook up a list of candidates at a venue.
He said that if the party missed it now, it would be unfortunate.
NAN reports that some of the PDP governorship candidates at the conference were Dr. Ade Dosunmu, Olanrewaju Jim-Kamal, Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour and Adedeji Doherty.
Politics
AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
Less than 48 hours before the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Area Council elections, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chairmanship candidate for Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), Hon. Zadna Dantani, has pulled out of the race and declared support for the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Hon. Christopher Zakka Maikalangu.
Dantani’s withdrawal follows a similar move in Bwari Area Council, where the PDP candidate, Hon. Julius Adamu, stepped down in favour of APC’s Joshua Ishaku Musa, signalling a major shift in political alignment ahead of Saturday’s elections.
In a formal declaration, Dantani explained that his decision was influenced by high-level intervention from the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, whom he described as both “party leader and FCT leader.”
READ ALSO:
- Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
- Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets
- MOMAN, ALCMAN Partner BKG to Drive Nigeria’s Shift from Auto Imports to Industrial Production
“I want to sincerely appreciate everyone who supported us. This decision is not about personal interests. The Honourable Minister of FCT, Barrister Nyesom Wike, emphasized that this is a brotherhood election. I am aligning with APC in support of the good works of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” Dantani said.
Dantani also confirmed that he had completed all legal formalities, including submitting a letter of withdrawal to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), stating that the move was entirely voluntary and made after consultations with family and stakeholders.
He called on his supporters across AMAC’s 12 wards to vote for APC’s Christopher Maikalangu, describing the alignment as a step toward unity and effective governance in the territory.
Political analysts note that these high-profile PDP withdrawals in both AMAC and Bwari have reshaped the FCT political landscape, increasing APC’s chances of sweeping the elections and stirring debates about PDP’s internal cohesion ahead of upcoming local and national contests.
AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
Politics
Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
Lawmaker representing the South East Senatorial district of Rivers State, Senator Mpigi Barinada is dead.
He was aged 64.
The Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Works, Akin Alabi, confirmed the sad development in a tribute post on his official X handle on Thursday.
He wrote, “Good night my dear friend. Rest in Peace, Senator Mpigi Barinada. Sen Mpigi represented Rivers South East in the Senate”.
The Rivers Senator was the Chairman, Senate Committee on Works.
READ ALSO:
- Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
- Mexico‑Based Nigerian fraudster Gets 8 Years for $1.3M U.S. Tax Fraud
- Ademola Lookman Scores Historic Goal as Atletico Madrid Draw 3–3 With Club Brugge
Senator representing Nasarawa South, Mohammed Onawo, also paid glowing tribute to the late Rivers senator and urged his colleagues to honour his memory.
He spoke during the session of the Senate Committee on Culture and Tourism on Thursday.
First elected in 2011 to the lower house, he was re-elected for a second term in December 2016.
In 2019, he was elected as the Senator representing Rivers South East Senatorial District under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
Politics
LP Crisis Deepens as Abure Faction Rejects Otti’s Reconciliation Call
LP Crisis Deepens as Abure Faction Rejects Otti’s Reconciliation Call
The leadership crisis rocking the Labour Party (LP) has taken a new turn as the Julius Abure–led faction firmly rejected reconciliation efforts initiated by Abia State Governor Alex Otti, declaring it has no interest in any peace move proposed by him.
In a strongly worded response, the factional National Working Committee (NWC) led by Julius Abure described Governor Otti’s call for unity as dishonest, premature, and ill-fated, insisting that the internal dispute within the party is far from being resolved.
The Abure camp was reacting to Otti’s recent appeal for aggrieved factions within the party to sheathe their swords and work towards rebuilding the LP ahead of future elections. The governor had announced plans to set up a reconciliation committee, stating that the interim leadership would determine the appropriate timing.
However, the Abure faction dismissed the move outright, accusing Otti of playing a central role in triggering and escalating the crisis. According to the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Obiora Ifoh, the governor lacks the moral authority to champion reconciliation.
READ ALSO:
- Rivers Assembly Halts Impeachment Proceedings Against Gov Fubara
- PDP Chairmanship Candidate Withdraws, Backs APC Ishaku in FCT Polls
- Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others
“We are not interested in any reconciliation being proposed by Governor Alex Otti because he is largely responsible for the crisis facing the party today,” Ifoh said. He questioned why the governor was rushing reconciliation talks when legal battles over the party’s leadership are still ongoing, stressing that the matter is “far from over.”
The rejection comes amid heightened tensions following the removal of Abure’s leadership details from the INEC portal, a development that further deepened divisions within the opposition party.
Background: How the Labour Party Leadership Crisis Began
The Labour Party crisis stems from a prolonged power struggle over national leadership, which intensified after the 2023 general elections that significantly boosted the party’s national profile.
At the heart of the dispute are two rival factions: one led by Julius Abure, the party’s embattled national chairman, and another aligned with Nenadi Usman, who heads an interim leadership structure.
The crisis escalated when a court of first instance issued an order that effectively recognized the Nenadi Usman–led group as the authentic leadership of the party. Acting on the ruling, the Independent National Electoral Commission adjusted its records, delisting the Abure-led NWC from its official portal.
While Abure’s faction has since filed an appeal and maintains that the court ruling is not final, the Usman-aligned camp has continued to operate as the recognized leadership, widening the rift within the party.
Governor Otti, one of the most prominent LP officeholders, has publicly aligned with reconciliation efforts, arguing that internal unity is critical for the party’s survival. However, the Abure faction views his actions as politically motivated interference, rather than a genuine peace initiative.
With legal proceedings still pending and both factions refusing to back down, the Labour Party remains deeply divided, raising fresh concerns about its cohesion and electoral prospects ahead of future political contests.
LP Crisis Deepens as Abure Faction Rejects Otti’s Reconciliation Call
-
News3 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro3 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
International18 hours agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
metro3 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News2 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health2 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting


