Politics
Amosun irrelevant, can’t stop my re-election –Abiodun
Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, has replied his predecessor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, declaring that he (Amosun) will fail in his “anti-party politics aimed to scuttle his re-election bid in 2023”.
Abiodun, who flayed Amosun for playing “dirty politics” and openly declaring to work for the emergence of a governorship candidate of another party in the 2023 general polls, said that the former governor would fall once again as he did in the 2019 gubernatorial election.
Amosun had in an interview with BBC Yoruba on Friday declared that he would work against Abiodun’s re-election bid.
He also noted that he had already pitted his tent with the African Democratic Congress candidate, Biyi Otegbeye; a move which angered the state governor.
Abiodun, during a meeting with members of the Nigeria Automobile Technicians Association, held at the June 12 Cultural Centre, Abeokuta, was said to have dismissed the former governor’s outburst as an “empty threat of a fallen man”, adding that “my second term is already ordained by God”.
READ ALSO:
- Boat accident in Mokwa Niger claims six lives, five missing
- Osimhen faces battle to reclaim Napoli place
- Atiku’s men threaten showdown if Wike group has its way
- Anxiety as troops bomb IPOB\ESN camps in Enugu community
The governor noted that it was a pity that Amosun had quickly forgotten how his adopted candidate “lost woefully” during the last general election, even when he was still in office as Ogun Governor.
Abiodun said he was not perturbed by his predecessor’s “empty threat”, as similar threat in 2019 did not amount to anything,
“The same thing that person did in 2019 and failed woefully, even when he was still the governor in the state, he is now preparing to fail again and even fall down.
Abiodun was said to have said, “We are waving goodbye to him now. He is not even a candidate of any political party. He is nothing and he is saying he will stop a governor that God has ordained; he will definitely fail again by the grace of God.”
Punch
![]()
Politics
2027: Wike explains why he won’t join Tinubu’s campaign council
2027: Wike explains why he won’t join Tinubu’s campaign council
Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has explained why he will not seek a prominent position in President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s 2027 presidential campaign, saying his priority is to deliver tangible results rather than pursue campaign titles.
Wike said he would have declined the position of Director-General of the APC Presidential Campaign Council if it had been offered to him, stressing that he is not a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
The former Rivers State governor spoke on Saturday while inspecting ongoing FCT infrastructure projects, including the Apo-Karshi Road and Bwari-Kubwa Road.
His comments came shortly after the Presidency announced the composition of the APC Presidential Campaign Council for the 2027 election, with former Zamfara State Governor, Senator Abdulaziz Yari, named as Director-General and Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodimma, appointed secretary.
President Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima are expected to serve as chairman and vice chairman of the campaign council respectively.
Wike said occupying a senior position in a presidential campaign should not be regarded as proof of political influence or electoral success.
According to him, what matters is whether campaign leaders can mobilise voters and deliver their respective states to their presidential candidates on election day.
“I am not a member of the APC. So the issue of their Presidential Campaign Council is out of the question,” Wike said.
He cited the experiences of former Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi, former Senate President Bukola Saraki, former Sokoto State Governor Aminu Tambuwal and former Plateau State Governor Simon Lalong to support his argument.
Wike recalled that Amaechi served as Director-General of Muhammadu Buhari’s 2015 presidential campaign while he was Rivers State governor, but Buhari lost Rivers State.
He also referred to the 2019 election, when Amaechi again played a prominent role in Buhari’s campaign, arguing that Rivers State still did not deliver the expected result.
Wike said Saraki, who led Atiku Abubakar’s 2019 presidential campaign, also lost Kwara State, while Tambuwal, who served as Atiku’s campaign DG in 2023, lost Sokoto State.
READ ALSO:
- Umahi’s Son, 28, Wins Ebonyi LG Chairmanship, Vows to Reject Salary
- Opposition Unity Cracks as Atiku, Obi, Kwankwaso Diverge on 2027 Strategy Against Tinubu
- Atiku to FBI: Don’t Shield Tinubu With Secrecy – Nigerians Are Already Paying With Their Lives
He further cited Lalong, who headed Tinubu’s 2023 campaign, as another example of a campaign leader whose home state did not produce the desired result for the presidential candidate.
“I don’t want to lose my state. I will be in my state. I have two states, FCT and Rivers State. What’s important is, are you able to deliver those two states?” Wike said.
The FCT minister maintained that his support for Tinubu’s 2027 re-election bid does not require him to hold an official position in the APC campaign structure.
He recalled that he and other politicians who supported Tinubu during the 2023 presidential election were not members of the APC Presidential Campaign Council.
Wike also referred to the political alliance known as the Rainbow Coalition, which brings together politicians from different political backgrounds who support Tinubu while retaining their membership of their respective parties.
He said the coalition was already active in states including Rivers, Kwara, Bayelsa, Osun and Benue.
Rather than focusing on campaign titles, Wike said his priority was to use his position as FCT minister to complete major infrastructure projects and demonstrate the impact of government policies.
“Campaign is what have you done for the people? What has the government got to show? It’s not about promises. It’s about showing action,” he said.
Wike disclosed that the FCT Administration was targeting the completion of more than 10 major projects before the 2027 elections, adding that the number could increase depending on the pace of work.
During the inspection, he expressed confidence that the Apo-Karshi Road project would be completed within the timeline given by the contractor.
The road project, which has been in development for several years, is expected to improve connectivity between communities along the Apo-Karshi corridor and ease movement in the Federal Capital Territory.
Wike also inspected the Bwari-Kubwa Road, another major FCT project, and said the contractor had assured the administration that the road would be completed and handed over by December.
The minister said the administration would also publish details of projects inherited from previous governments alongside those awarded under the current administration.
According to Wike, the publication would cover projects inherited from administrations dating back to Olusegun Obasanjo, as well as those of Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, Goodluck Jonathan and Muhammadu Buhari.
He said Nigerians would then be able to compare inherited projects with those initiated and completed by the current FCT Administration.
Beyond infrastructure, Wike announced tougher enforcement of regulations governing commercial transportation in Abuja.
He warned taxi drivers and other commercial operators against picking up passengers outside designated bus terminals, saying vehicles used in violation of the rules could be impounded.
The minister also disclosed that the FCT Administration had begun reclaiming green areas and public spaces allegedly converted to car dealerships and other commercial activities.
Wike said a task force had been established to recover the affected areas, alleging that some allocation documents had been issued for spaces originally designated as parks and green areas.
He warned operators occupying such spaces to vacate them or face enforcement action, including possible seizure of vehicles.
Wike clarified that approvals for buildings and other developments in the FCT are handled by relevant departments and agencies of the administration rather than personally by the minister.
He said affected operators would be given time to comply before enforcement measures are implemented.
Wike’s position means he is set to remain outside the formal APC 2027 campaign council despite his continued support for Tinubu’s re-election bid.
His comments also reinforce his stated strategy of concentrating on delivering electoral support in Rivers State and the FCT, rather than seeking a formal campaign position.
For Wike, political success should ultimately be judged by electoral results, completed projects and measurable impact on citizens, rather than by the title or position held within a presidential campaign organisation.
2027: Wike explains why he won’t join Tinubu’s campaign council
![]()
Politics
Umahi’s Son, 28, Wins Ebonyi LG Chairmanship, Vows to Reject Salary
Politics
Opposition Unity Cracks as Atiku, Obi, Kwankwaso Diverge on 2027 Strategy Against Tinubu
Opposition Unity Cracks as Atiku, Obi, Kwankwaso Diverge on 2027 Strategy Against Tinubu
The G-100’s push for a united opposition front faces significant hurdles as both camps refuse to step aside, with the NDC publicly urging Atiku to back Peter Obi instead.
ABUJA, Nigeria – The camps of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and former Anambra State Governor Peter Obi have firmly rejected the proposal that opposition parties must present a single presidential candidate to defeat President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 election, creating fresh obstacles for efforts to build a broad opposition coalition. While both camps remain open to greater cooperation among opposition parties, neither has indicated a willingness to surrender its presidential ambition simply to make way for another candidate. The development comes as the G-100, a political pressure group led by former Director-General of the Progressive Governors Forum, Salihu Lukman, intensifies its push for a united opposition front, believing that opposition parties could lose the 2027 election if they enter the contest separately and split their votes among several presidential candidates. The G-100 has been advocating a common platform and a single presidential candidate capable of challenging Tinubu and the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). However, the latest reactions from the camps of Atiku and Obi suggest that cooperation may be easier to achieve than an agreement on who should fly the proposed opposition ticket, underlining one of the central difficulties confronting the opposition ahead of 2027.
Atiku’s position was made known by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, who said the former vice president was not opposed to efforts aimed at bringing opposition forces together, but indicated that discussions had moved beyond simply organising meetings and summits. “We have moved beyond this conversation. Atiku has brought to the table the policy alternatives, including what he would do with petroleum subsidy if elected. His policies are about the people and they are not hidden. Come January 2027, Nigerians will make their choice. This is where we are today,” Shaibu stated. He maintained that Atiku remained prepared to take over the leadership of the country and urged Nigerians to focus on the policies and programmes being offered by the various presidential candidates. The former vice president secured the presidential ticket of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) after joining the party as part of the opposition realignment ahead of the 2027 election. Meanwhile, Atiku has declared that the 2027 presidential election would be his last attempt at the presidency, regardless of the outcome, having made the declaration during a Facebook Live session where he said, “Whether I win or lose, 2027 will be my last time contesting for the presidency.” The former vice president has sought the Nigerian presidency several times over the past decades, serving as vice president between 1999 and 2007.
READ ALSO:
- Atiku to FBI: Don’t Shield Tinubu With Secrecy – Nigerians Are Already Paying With Their Lives
- 2027: Alfindiki tackles Atiku over Tinubu’s FBI records
- Lagos Police arrest five suspected telecom vandals, recover truckload of iron rods
Obi’s camp has also maintained confidence in his political strength, with Obi having contested the 2023 election under the Labour Party and finished third in the official results, before later joining the Nigerian Democratic Congress (NDC) where he has emerged as one of the leading figures in the opposition movement. The NDC has welcomed attempts to strengthen opposition cooperation but does not agree that all opposition parties must unite behind one candidate before Tinubu can be defeated. The party’s National Publicity Secretary, Osa Director, argued that Nigeria’s political history showed that an incumbent president could be defeated even when the opposition was not completely united under one presidential candidate. “Under a multi-party democracy, it is possible for one of the parties to defeat a sitting president. It happened in 2015 and it was only fragments of the All Progressives Grand Alliance and the Peoples Democratic Party that teamed up to form an alliance with the All Progressives Congress and they were able to defeat President Goodluck Jonathan,” Director said. “So, the NDC is not going into the 2027 election with that self-defeatist approach that the opposition cannot defeat the APC unless all the parties come together,” he stated.
Despite rejecting the argument that a single candidate is the only route to victory, the NDC spokesman made the party’s preference clear, saying the NDC believes Obi should lead the coalition if the opposition eventually decides to adopt a common presidential candidate. “We have made the point clear that we should choose the best candidate in the opposition and we in the NDC believe that Peter Obi is the best if he is allowed to lead the coalition. This is our position,” Director said. The push for Obi to lead a potential coalition has been further amplified by the NDC’s Director of New Media and Strategic Communications, Theo Abu Agada, who publicly called on Atiku to step aside and support Obi for the 2027 race, arguing that Atiku’s withdrawal from the race and support for Obi would strengthen the opposition’s chances of defeating President Bola Tinubu. “Every electioneering season. AA is a good and solid man, but he needs to give it up at this point. His idea for a working Nigeria is brilliant, but at this point, he needs to give up his ambition. If he steps aside, nothing is going to affect his sterling legacy. AA should support Obi to kick the APC out,” Agada wrote.
READ ALSO:
- Stop Sokoto killings or resign, MURIC tells Defence Minister
- Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
- Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu, By Farooq Kperogi
The NDC’s presidential ticket now features a significant alliance between Obi and former Kano State Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso, who has accepted the position of vice presidential candidate. Kwankwaso disclosed that he agreed to serve as Obi’s running mate to bring solutions to Nigeria’s challenges, including youth unemployment, insecurity, and economic downturn. He lamented that Nigeria faces “a difficult economic reality” with rising food costs placing enormous pressure on families, while insecurity continues to threaten communities across the country, stating that “too many families have lost loved ones, homes and livelihoods to terrorism, banditry, kidnapping and other forms of violence.” “Our partnership is not about region, religion or personal ambition. It is about Nigeria. We believe in a country where government serves the people, where hard work is rewarded, where young people can build successful futures at home, and where every citizen has a fair opportunity to prosper,” Kwankwaso said, urging Nigerians to support the Obi-Kwankwaso ticket. The alliance between Obi and Kwankwaso has energised the NDC, with reports indicating that followers of both former governors have been mobilised under the party’s umbrella.
Federal Capital Territory Minister Nyesom Wike has added to the political tension, describing Atiku as a “voodoo economist” and insisting that he is not a leading contender in the 2027 presidential election. Wike made the remark while reacting to Atiku’s claim that he would not remove fuel subsidy if elected president, saying, “I disagree that Atiku is one of the leading presidential candidates. We have only one leading candidate, and that is Bola Tinubu.” He further questioned Atiku’s consistency, noting that the former vice president had previously supported subsidy removal in 2022, adding, “2027 is gone because we don’t have any opposition that wants to wrestle power from the government.” Wike has also vowed to keep Atiku and Obi under pressure as the contest gathers momentum, saying in Abuja, “My business is to make them not feel well all day, because they will be having high blood pressure. I guess that is my job, to make them have high blood pressure.” His rivalry with both opposition figures predates the current alignment, with roots in the bruising PDP presidential primary of 2022.
The G-100 had proposed an opposition summit in Abuja to advance its unity agenda, with the group calling on opposition leaders to put aside individual interests and work towards presenting a common candidate. However, uncertainty surrounds the summit’s outcome as opposition leaders appear reluctant to concede ground. While Atiku had earlier welcomed “every genuine initiative aimed at strengthening democratic opposition,” his camp has now signalled that the conversation has moved beyond mere meetings. The Labour Party has also weighed in, arguing that any coalition should be built around its existing structure rather than creating another political platform. As the 2027 contest takes shape, the fragmentation of the opposition presents a significant advantage for the ruling APC, with political analysts noting that early resolution of candidate selection and message discipline will be critical in determining whether the opposition can present a credible national alternative, but the current divisions suggest a difficult road ahead.
Opposition Unity Cracks as Atiku, Obi, Kwankwaso Diverge on 2027 Strategy Against Tinubu
![]()
-
News2 days agoDelta Governor Reveals ₦503,000 Monthly Salary, Says Permanent Secretaries Earn ₦900,000
-
metro2 days agoHistory in Makkah: Nigerian Teen Wins Prestigious Qur’anic Contest, Breaks 46-Year Gender Barrier
-
metro3 days agoFormer MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute
-
Auto2 days agoDangote deploys technology to curb truck crashes, improve road safety
-
Politics3 days agoPBAT Door-to-Door Movement Holds Kano Rally, Strengthens APC Ties Ahead of 2027
-
Africa3 days agoM23 Rebels Impose Ebola Movement Restrictions as DRC Conflict Complicates Outbreak Response
-
News2 days agoAtiku’s Fuel Subsidy Plan Unrealistic, Destructive, Says Presidency
-
Politics3 days agoAtiku Vows to Restore Fuel Subsidy If Elected in 2027
