BREAKING: Anger as NDLEA operatives shoot two dead during Lagos raid - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

BREAKING: Anger as NDLEA operatives shoot two dead during Lagos raid

Published

on

BREAKING: Anger as NDLEA operatives shoot two dead during Lagos raid

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency have allegedly shot dead two persons including one Gafar Yusuf, in the Idioro area of Mushin, Lagos State.

The PUNCH gathered that the NDLEA operatives stormed the community around 10pm on Wednesday to raid a drug den when they started shooting sporadically in a bid to achieve their aim.

While engaging in the act, it was learnt that stray bullets from the operatives, shooting sporadically to scare hoodlums attempting to scuttle their plan in the community, killed the victims.

A resident, who gave his name simply as Olasunkanmi, while lamenting over the development, questioned the operatives for shooting sporadically in a residential area, adding that the bullets hit Yusuf’s head and the yet-to-be-identified victim’s chest.

He noted that the victims died on the spot, adding that people in the community had been enraged by the development.

Olasunkanmi said, “We are not saying the NDLEA should not do their job, but why will its operatives be shooting anyhow in a residential area? The NDLEA operatives invaded a drug den in the community around 10pm and started seizing illicit drugs which is OK.

READ ALSO:

“The operatives were about 50 in number and most of them were armed. While some wore the official uniform, others were dressed in casual wear. The people dealing in the drug business were enraged by the raid and started threatening to make trouble.

“But the NDLEA operatives started shooting to have their way and stray bullets hit two young boys in the head and chest. Both of them died on the spot. The name of one of the victims is Gafar Yusuf. After killing them, the NDLEA operatives attempted to take their corpses away but people in the area resisted.”

Another resident, who gave his name simply as Lukmon, said Yusuf’s mother, Olaide, who had been inconsolable since the shocking events that claimed her son’s life, informed him about the incident.

He said, “We are tired of the NDLEA’s issue in our neighbourhood. Why will they be shooting carelessly in a residential neighbourhood? If they want to work, it is expected that they would have a target and they should have a plan for how they will arrest the target instead of shooting carelessly to the point of killing two innocent persons.

READ ALSO:

“It is uncalled for; they suddenly stormed the area with guns and started shooting. Gafar Yusuf, 22, was killed on Imoru Street. We are already making arrangements to bury his corpse. We heard three people were killed during the raid but what I can confirm to you for now is the death of two persons.

“Yusuf’s mother called me yesterday that a bullet had hit him and that he was running errands when he got struck down by the bullets fired by the NDLEA operatives.”

Video clips in possession of our correspondent showed people running helter-skelter during the raid that created tension in the community.

In one of the video clips, our correspondent observed residents in the area shedding tears as they surrounded the corpses of the victims that lay motionless on the road.

Blood stains gushing out of the corpses were visible on the road as people expressed anger over the tragedy.

When contacted, the spokesperson for the NDLEA, Femi Babafemi, did not take his calls and had yet to reply to a text message sent to his mobile number as of the time this report was filed.

metro

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Published

on

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Awhum, Udi LGA, Enugu State — At least 18 passengers were killed after a massive ancestral tree, locally known as “Ukwu Akpu Awhum,” collapsed onto a commercial 18‑seater bus on Tuesday, during a heavy thunderstorm and rainfall. The bus was en route from Ukehe in Igbo‑Etiti LGA to Enugu metropolis when the tragedy occurred.

Eyewitnesses said the ancient tree fell without warning, crushing the bus and its occupants instantly. “The rain was very heavy, the wind was strong, and we heard a loud crash,” one resident recalled. All passengers were reportedly killed on impact.

READ ALSO:

Local resident Charly Okeke suggested that recent human activity, including tying red and white cloths around the tree trunk for spiritual purposes, may have weakened the tree, contributing to the collapse. The community has been thrown into mourning, as families grapple with the sudden loss.

Emergency responders and local volunteers rushed to the scene, pulling survivors from the wreckage and transporting the injured to nearby hospitals. Authorities are expected to investigate the cause of the collapse, though no official statement has been released by Enugu State authorities as of now.

The tragedy highlights the dangers posed by aged trees along busy roads, especially during periods of torrential rain and strong winds, and underscores the need for public safety measures and regular assessments of roadside trees to prevent similar disasters.

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Continue Reading

metro

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Published

on

Over 200 Killed as Deadly Landslide Hits Mining Community in Congo

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Kampani Zurak, Wase LGA, Plateau State — Tragedy struck early Wednesday morning as a carbon monoxide gas leak at an underground mining site claimed the lives of at least 37 miners and injured more than 20 others. The incident occurred around 6:30 a.m., shortly after workers returned from morning prayers.

According to eyewitness Safiyanu Haruna, survivors and local residents discovered miners unconscious inside the poorly ventilated tunnels. “It’s heartbreaking to wake up to the news that 37 miners, who had been struggling to make ends meet, have died,” he said.

READ ALSO:

The injured miners were immediately transported to a hospital in Wase town for treatment. Authorities and emergency response teams had not yet arrived at the site when the leak occurred, highlighting the dangers of underground mining in poorly regulated areas.

Funeral prayers for the deceased are currently being held in the community, with the Local Government Area chairman reported to have attended. Security forces have sealed off the mining site to prevent further casualties and aid ongoing investigations.

The tragedy underscores the critical need for improved mining safety regulations, particularly in remote areas where miners often work under hazardous conditions with limited safety protocols. Experts warn that carbon monoxide exposure in mines can be deadly within minutes if ventilation and gas detection measures are inadequate.

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Continue Reading

metro

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Published

on

Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf
Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all entertainment centres across the state as part of measures to ensure a peaceful and spiritually focused observance of Ramadan. The directive, issued by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects entertainment venues popularly known as gala houses, as well as disc jockey (DJ) operators and related entertainment outlets under the board’s regulatory jurisdiction.

Abdullahi Sulaiman, the board’s Public Relations Officer, announced that the closure will take effect from 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, 18 February 2026, and will remain in force throughout the holy month. He explained that the action aims to create a calm and morally conducive environment for Muslim residents to observe fasting, prayers, and other religious activities without distractions.

READ ALSO:

The board emphasised that reopening dates, particularly for Eid‑el‑Fitr celebrations, will be communicated at the appropriate time. Enforcement teams have been mobilised to ensure compliance, with sanctions for violations under the board’s regulatory mandate.

Officials clarified that the closure does not apply to event centres used for weddings, conferences, or political gatherings, which fall outside the board’s jurisdiction. Board director Usman Dankwano reiterated that only entertainment outlets such as gala houses are affected by the directive.

The government said the decision aligns with efforts to promote social harmony, maintain public order, and respect religious observances during Ramadan. Residents and business operators are urged to comply fully to avoid penalties.

The move reflects a broader pattern in northern Nigeria, where authorities adjust entertainment and public activities during Ramadan to respect cultural and religious practices while maintaining community peace.

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending