Flood sacks 5 Delta communities - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Flood sacks 5 Delta communities

Published

on

Flood sacks 5 Delta communities

NO fewer than five riverine communities in Warri North Local Government Area of Delta have been sacked by flood, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), reports.

Mr Kenren Pere, Councillor representing Ogbinbiri ward 18, in Asigborodo Community disclosed this to newsmen on Monday in Warri.

Pere said that the affected communities were Torukubuagbene, Awanba, Koropigbene, Itagbene and Asigborodo as well as adjourning communities.

According to him, the incident began more than a week ago and the situation became worse on Friday.

While appealing for an urgent intervention by the state government, the councillor said that the lives of his people were at stake.

Pere said: “rain has been falling before, but we have never had it this bad.

“Many valuables including boats, clothes, food items, and other means of livelihood have been destroyed by the unfortunate occurrence.

READ ALSO:

“Lives are at stake, people can no longer go about their normal daily activities to feed, so there is hunger in the affected communities.

“The overflow started more than a week ago, but the situation became worse three days ago, leaving my people in fear,” he said.

Pere also appealed to the state government to send relief materials including food items to the people to alleviate their suffering.

Mr Smart Asekutu, Chairman, Warri North Local Government Area neither  picked several calls put across to his phone nor respond to WhatsApp messages sent to his cell phone.

Meanwhile, Mr Daniel Okpor, Director, Administration and Finance, Delta Emergency Management Agency said that the agency was not aware of the development.

Okpor, however, requested for video clips of the incident to aid the agency’s findings and response.

“Was the incident a result of flood or rainfall? We believe more in video clips than in photographs. In the absence of video, you can send me photographs,” he said. (NAN)

Auto

Appeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG

Published

on

Appeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG

The Lagos State Government has dismissed widespread claims that a recent Court of Appeal judgment has stripped Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIOs) of their powers across Nigeria, insisting that the ruling applies strictly to the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

The clarification follows public reactions to a decision of the Court of Appeal, Abuja Division, which upheld an earlier ruling of the Federal High Court restraining Vehicle Inspection Officers and the Directorate of Road Traffic Services in the FCT from stopping motorists, impounding vehicles, or imposing fines.

The judgment triggered viral interpretations suggesting that VIO operations had been outlawed nationwide.

However, Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Lawal Pedro, SAN, described such interpretations as legally inaccurate and misleading.

Basis of the Court Decision

According to Pedro, both the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal premised their decisions on the absence of statutory authority empowering VIO officials in the FCT to stop, impound, confiscate vehicles, or impose fines on motorists.

READ ALSO:

“It is important to understand that the Honourable Judge of the Federal High Court and Justices of the Court of Appeal premised their decision on absence of statutory power conferred on the Respondents to stop, impound or confiscate vehicles and/or impose fines on motorists on roads in FCT Abuja,” he stated.

He noted that the courts did not declare vehicle inspection enforcement unconstitutional in Nigeria, but rather ruled specifically on the legal framework governing the FCT authorities involved in the suit.

Why Lagos Is Different

The Lagos government stressed that Nigeria’s federal structure allows states to legislate on residual matters such as road traffic management and vehicle inspection.

Pedro explained that Lagos operates under the Lagos State Transport Sector Reform Law, which expressly establishes and empowers the Vehicle Inspection Service (VIS).

Section 12(1) of the law authorises the VIS to:

Inspect and regulate the roadworthiness of vehicles

Conduct pre-registration inspections

Issue Road Worthiness Certificates

Collaborate with other relevant agencies to enforce traffic laws

In addition, Section 23(1) provides for penalties against offenders, subject to adjudication before mobile or magistrate courts, ensuring judicial oversight.

Not of Nationwide Effect

While acknowledging that the appellate decision is binding within the FCT, the Lagos government emphasised that it does not have automatic nationwide application.

“The judgment, though binding, is not of general application or of nationwide effect in Nigeria,” the ministry stated.

The state government stressed that VIS officers in Lagos remain legally empowered to carry out enforcement duties under extant state laws.

Wider Implications

The controversy underscores ongoing debates over traffic enforcement powers in Nigeria, particularly the constitutional boundaries between federal and state authorities.

Legal analysts note that unless the Supreme Court delivers a broader pronouncement on the issue, enforcement powers will continue to depend largely on the specific statutory framework establishing such agencies in each jurisdiction.

For now, Lagos authorities insist that vehicle inspection and traffic enforcement operations in the state remain valid and legally grounded.

Appeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG

Continue Reading

metro

FG Drags El-Rufai to Court Over Alleged NSA Phone Interception

Published

on

FG Drags El-Rufai to Court Over Alleged NSA Phone Interception

 

The Federal Government has filed a three-count criminal charge against former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, accusing him of unlawfully intercepting the phone communications of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, filed at the Federal High Court in Abuja through the Department of State Services (DSS), alleges that El-Rufai conspired with unnamed accomplices—said to be currently at large—to carry out the interception.

According to court documents, the alleged offence contravenes Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act 2024.

The Federal Government further claimed that El-Rufai admitted involvement in the act during an appearance on Arise Television’s Prime Time programme on February 3.

In the second count, prosecutors alleged that the former governor was aware that the NSA’s communications had been unlawfully intercepted but failed to report the breach to appropriate security agencies.

The third count accuses El-Rufai and his alleged collaborators of using technical equipment to intercept Ribadu’s calls in a manner that endangered public safety and national security.

The prosecution argued that the action created “reasonable apprehension” among Nigerians, contrary to Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act 2003.

El-Rufai, a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory under President Olusegun Obasanjo and a prominent figure in an emerging opposition coalition critical of President Bola Tinubu’s administration, has yet to publicly respond to the charges.

Further proceedings in the case are expected to commence at the Federal High Court in Abuja.

Continue Reading

metro

Terror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road

Published

on

Mile 12–Ketu Road

Terror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road

Motorists plying the ever-busy Mile 12–Ketu corridor of Lagos were gripped by fear on Monday morning after suspected armed robbers reportedly attacked vehicles trapped in traffic, causing widespread panic along the route.

Eyewitness accounts shared on social media indicated that the assailants, said to be wielding cutlasses, emerged during the rush-hour gridlock to harass and intimidate motorists.

The hoodlums allegedly moved from one vehicle to another, threatening occupants and attempting to force open car doors in what appeared to be a coordinated operation.

One commuter who claimed to have narrowly escaped the incident decried the recurring security breaches in the area, expressing concern that such attacks continue despite the proximity of security formations.

READ ALSO:

The Lagos State Police Command confirmed that it had swung into action following reports of the incident.

Spokesperson for the Command, SP Abimbola Adebisi, said the Commissioner of Police had ordered an immediate security reinforcement of the axis to prevent a recurrence.

She disclosed that the Area Commander, Divisional Police Officer, and tactical teams have been mobilised to intensify patrols and track down criminal elements operating between Mile 12 and Ketu.

“The Command is committed to safeguarding lives and property, and no area will be left unattended, particularly locations with repeated security concerns,” Adebisi assured.

She urged residents and road users to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities through the Command’s emergency lines: 07061019374, 08065154338, 08063299264, 08039344870, and 09168630929.

 

Terror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending