metro
Lagos demolishes illegal structure in Banana Island, warns against unapproved dredging
Lagos demolishes illegal structure in Banana Island, warns against unapproved dredging
THE Lagos State government on Saturday demolished an illegal structure on Banana Island, constructed on unauthorised reclaimed land to obstruct drainage paths.
The Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Mr Oluyinka Olumide, who led the exercise also ordered the demolition of illegal fences.
Olumide was accompanied by the General Manager, Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA), Mr Gbolahan Oki, who decried the rate at which property owners and developers disregarded building code, hence, the demolition to compel compliance.
LASBCA is an agency supervised by the ministry Physical Planning and Urban Development.
The commissioner warned against illegal reclamation of land in the state, saying individuals did not have the right to reclaim without requisite permission from the ministry charged with that responsibility.
He said land reclamation was an exclusive right of government, which usually carried out required tests through sand filling, adding that, residents should follow the processes for land acquisition to avoid prosecution.
Olumide said the demolished structure violated a suspension order issued by Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu during his assessment visit to the site earlier in the year.
He said it was discovered then that the developer illegally dredged the river to reclaim the land without recourse to any approving authority.
The commissioner warned that indiscriminate dredging activity in the area must stop because it violated Planning Laws and impacts negatively on the state’s ecosystem.
READ ALSO:
- Three Islamic clerics arrested for allegedly beheading man in Ibadan
-
Synagogue president stabbed to death in US amid Hamas-Israel war
-
Court to deliver judgment in Nigeria Vs P&ID case Oct 23
-
AGN is not a charitable organization, nor bank – AGN counters Mr Ibu’s wife
“We need to stop people’s believe that they are above the law, once you have law, every body is supposed to be controlled by the law which is supposed to guide the society.
“Here, lawless activities are taking place whereby people are on thier own deliberately reclaiming land for the purpose of their own developments which is very bad.
“The power line was even made at the centre of the lagoon, the ceiling is almost reaching the power line which is not safe for human habitation,” he said.
The General Manager, Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA), Mr Gbolahan Oki, said the construction site had been sealed three times but the developers broke government seal to continue working.
Oki said the developers did not have building plan approvals and did not have layout approvals.
He advised residents to always carry out the necessary checks and documentations by visiting the district offices across local governments to get the right information.
He advised residents to get Certificate of Occupancy and building plan approval or regularisation before moving to site.
“My duty is to remove anything illegal,” he said.
Oki said breaking the seals contravened the building code, adding that, illegal land reclamation activities would be punished.
He said all buildings involved in unapproved shoreline extensions along the Lagos Waterfront would be demolished and their developers prosecuted.
He urged all intending building owners to always ensure due diligence before construction, including obtaining the necessary documentations from relevant agencies of the government.
Lagos demolishes illegal structure in Banana Island, warns against unapproved dredging
(NAN)
![]()
metro
Lagos Police arrest five suspected telecom vandals, recover truckload of iron rods
Lagos Police arrest five suspected telecom vandals, recover truckload of iron rods
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested five suspected telecommunication vandals and recovered a truckload of suspected stolen iron rods in the Ibeju-Lekki area of Lagos State.
The suspects were allegedly caught stealing iron poles intended for the construction of telecommunication masts before they were apprehended while conveying the materials in a truck.
The suspects were identified as Mohammed Shaibu, 26; Musa Zakari, 29; Abdullahi Bala, 22; Salisu Musa, 18; and Yahuza Bala, 20.
The Command said the arrests were made as part of its intensified efforts to tackle vandalism and theft of critical infrastructure across Lagos State.
According to the police, the suspects are currently in custody, while the matter is being investigated at the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Yaba.
The Command said discreet investigations were ongoing to track down other suspects who allegedly fled and establish the full extent of the alleged operation.
READ ALSO:
- Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
- Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu, By Farooq Kperogi
- Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
The police also acknowledged the support of the 81 Division of the Nigerian Army, saying the cooperation between the two security agencies contributed significantly to the successful operation and arrest of the suspects.
The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, CP Tijani Fatai, reaffirmed the Command’s determination to protect critical infrastructure and ensure that anyone found responsible for vandalism is brought to justice.
Fatai also urged Lagos residents to remain vigilant and promptly provide credible information about suspicious activities in their communities to security agencies.
The Command said members of the public can report emergencies and suspicious activities through its designated emergency lines, including 07061019374, 08065154338, 08063299264, 08039344870, 08080193432 (Marine), and 09168630929.
The latest arrests highlight continuing security concerns over the vandalism of telecommunications infrastructure, which can undermine network expansion, disrupt services and impose additional costs on infrastructure operators.
The police said investigations would continue to determine whether the five suspects allegedly acted alone or were connected to a wider network involved in the theft and movement of telecommunications infrastructure materials.
The suspects remain presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty by a court of law.
Lagos Police arrest five suspected telecom vandals, recover truckload of iron rods
![]()
metro
Stop Sokoto killings or resign, MURIC tells Defence Minister
Stop Sokoto killings or resign, MURIC tells Defence Minister
The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has given the Minister of Defence, Gen. Christopher Gwabin Musa (retd.), 14 days to take decisive action to halt killings and kidnappings in Sokoto State or resign from office.
MURIC, in a statement issued on Saturday by its Executive Director, Prof. Ishaq Akintola, said the ultimatum followed what it described as the worsening security situation in the state and the minister’s earlier pledge to end the killing of Nigerians.
According to the organisation, 43 people and an imam were killed while 19 others were abducted in three separate attacks in Sokoto State within the past few weeks.
MURIC said the victims were Muslims, adding that the continued attacks had heightened concerns over the safety of residents, farmers, travellers and communities across the state.
“Killings and kidnappings around Nigeria have continued unabated. The level of insecurity has risen to an all-time high. But these terrorist activities have been concentrated on Sokoto State in particular in the past two years,” Akintola said.
The group described the attacks as a reflection of what it called weaknesses in the country’s security architecture and accused the military of failing to adequately protect citizens in the affected areas.
MURIC further argued that attacks in Sokoto had wider implications because of the state’s historical and religious significance to Nigerian Muslims.
“If Abuja is Nigeria’s political capital, if Lagos is the country’s economic hub, then Sokoto is the heart of Islamdom in Nigeria,” the group said.
It urged the military to strengthen security around Sokoto, insisting that the state required what it described as an “iron-clad defence mechanism” to prevent further attacks.
The organisation also recalled statements reportedly made by Musa when he assumed office as Defence Minister in late 2025, in which he pledged to work towards ending killings and said he could not afford to fail himself, his country and his family.
MURIC said the current security situation in Sokoto amounted to a failure to fulfil that pledge.
“Today Sokoto is under siege. Farmers cannot go to their farms. Villagers seek safe haven in distant lands. City dwellers sleep with one eye open. Travellers have become human merchandise, abducted, humiliated, dehumanised and turned to mere goods whose price must be haggled with criminals,” Akintola said.
The group also expressed concern over a warning reportedly issued by the Department of State Services that terrorists were planning attacks on tertiary institutions in Sokoto State.
MURIC described the warning as a serious development, saying it further underscored the urgency of taking immediate and effective measures to protect residents and institutions in the state.
The organisation therefore gave the Defence Minister 14 days, beginning from Monday, August 24, to demonstrate what it called “visible, tangible and reliable changes” in the security situation in and around Sokoto.
MURIC said the objective should be to make the state, particularly the Sokoto metropolis, safe from terrorist and bandit attacks.
“The alternative is for the Minister to submit his letter of resignation on or before the ultimatum. There is no other option on the table,” Akintola said.
The organisation called on the Federal Government and the security agencies to intensify operations against terrorists and bandits while ensuring the protection of civilians, farmlands, educational institutions and major routes across Sokoto State.
Stop Sokoto killings or resign, MURIC tells Defence Minister
![]()
metro
Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace, supported by vigilantes and local hunters, apprehended 30-year-old Halima Ibrahim during an intelligence-led raid in Bassa Local Government Area. The operation, linked to the recent abduction of a medical doctor, led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle, a locally fabricated revolver, and other military items.
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace, in collaboration with members of the Vigilante Group of Nigeria and local hunters, have arrested a suspected gunrunner and recovered an AK-47 rifle, magazines and other military-related items in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State. The operation was carried out on Friday, August 21, following intelligence linking the area to the recent abduction of a medical doctor, Dr Abraham Owoicho, who was kidnapped on August 19.
According to security sources who spoke to security analyst Zagazola Makama, troops moved into Kisayi and Dogon Daji settlements after receiving intelligence on the activities of suspected criminals operating in the communities. The troops, supported by local security volunteers and hunters, raided the settlements and searched identified locations.
Several male residents reportedly fled into the surrounding bush when they sighted the advancing security personnel, leaving women and children behind. A 30-year-old woman, identified as Halima Ibrahim, was however arrested while allegedly attempting to escape with two AK-47 rifle magazines. Following her arrest, troops cordoned off and searched her residence in Kisayi B Village.
The search reportedly led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle, which investigators are working to trace to its source and determine its ownership. During preliminary questioning, the suspect allegedly told investigators that the rifle belonged to her husband, identified as Ibrahim. Troops also recovered a locally fabricated revolver pistol, a military jungle hat and three mobile phones from the residence. The suspect and the recovered items have been taken into military custody as investigations continue.
READ ALSO:
- Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu, By Farooq Kperogi
- Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
- IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
The Nigerian Army has reiterated its commitment to conducting intelligence-driven operations to dismantle criminal networks involved in kidnapping, arms trafficking, and other violent crimes across the country. The operation in Plateau was part of broader efforts, with separate operations in Edo State leading to the rescue of a kidnapped victim.
According to security sources, investigators are working to establish the source of the firearms, the circumstances surrounding their possession and any possible links between the suspects and criminal networks operating in the area. The operation forms part of ongoing efforts by security agencies to disrupt kidnapping networks and the illegal arms trade in Plateau State, particularly following recent abductions in Bassa Local Government Area. Further intelligence-driven operations are expected in the affected communities as security agencies continue investigations.
The arrest comes amid heightened security operations in Plateau State, where troops and other security agencies have intensified efforts to disrupt criminal networks. In a separate operation on August 19, troops of Sector 8, Operation Enduring Peace, recovered one AK-47 rifle, one locally fabricated AK-47 rifle, one locally fabricated revolver rifle, two Dane guns and 15 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition during a raid in Mangu Local Government Area, following intelligence about a suspected attack on Mwar community. The military has also intensified operations across the state, with troops of Sector 6 arresting 19 suspects in Riyom Local Government Area following an ambush that killed two security operatives.
Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
![]()
-
metro3 days agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
metro3 days agoPFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
-
News3 days agoTinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND
-
Politics3 days agoAtiku Dismisses Obasanjo’s Political Clout, Says Ex-President Has ‘No Electoral Value’
-
metro2 days agoHistory in Makkah: Nigerian Teen Wins Prestigious Qur’anic Contest, Breaks 46-Year Gender Barrier
-
News2 days agoDelta Governor Reveals ₦503,000 Monthly Salary, Says Permanent Secretaries Earn ₦900,000
-
metro2 days agoFormer MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute
-
Auto2 days agoDangote deploys technology to curb truck crashes, improve road safety
