Abduction of schoolchildren, attack on education in North - ACF - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Abduction of schoolchildren, attack on education in North – ACF

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Abduction of schoolchildren, attack on education in North – ACF

The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has strongly condemned the abduction of 287 students and teachers from GSS Kuriga and LEA Primary School in Kaduna State, labeling it an attack on education in Northern Nigeria.

In a statement released by its National Publicity Secretary, Prof Tukur Muhammad-Baba, on Saturday, the ACF stressed the vulnerability of schoolchildren and urged the Bola Tinubu-led government to promptly rescue the abducted individuals.

The group highlighted the broader issue of security in the country, citing previous incidents like the Federal University Gusau abduction in July last year. They called on the Federal Government to move beyond generic directives, urging concrete actions with specific timelines for results.

The statement reads in part; “The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) is gravely saddened and exasperated at the news of the mass abduction by terrorists/bandits of about 312 students (20 of whom reportedly are orphans), from the Local Education Authority (LEA) Primary School and Junior Secondary School, along with a principal at Kuriga, Chikun local government area of Kaduna state, on Thursday, March 7th, 2024.

READ ALSO:

“As a sad reminder about their unabated presence, the terrorists struck again, attacked worshippers, and killed two persons during Friday prayers at Angwar Makera, Kwasakwasa Community in Birnin Gwari local government area, Kaduna state.

“Together, the incidents looked planned in advance, a most discomfiting reality, given the enormous public resources being allocated to the security sector.

“As ACF had observed in July, 2023, when students of the Federal University Gusau were abducted (and sadly still in captivity), these disturbing incidents point to the very parlous state of security in the country, and specifically that school children are a defensively vulnerable population.

“ACF unequivocally decries and condemns the incidents in strong terms and hereby: Calls for the immediate and unconditional return of the abducted students and pupils, unharmed, to their parents/guardians; Commiserates with the parents/ guardians of the pupils and students,” the statement added.

Northern elders to Tinubu: Rescue abducted school children

metro

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

Published

on

TikToker and aesthetic vendor, Mirabel
TikToker and aesthetic vendor, Mirabel

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

A young woman identified as Mirabel has shared a harrowing account of a near-death experience following an alleged rape attack in her apartment in Lagos, triggering widespread outrage and calls for justice.

In a video posted on TikTok under the handle @mirab351, Mirabel said the incident occurred on Sunday morning after she opened her door, believing it was a neighbour. According to her account, she was overpowered and lost consciousness during the attack.

She later said she regained awareness to find an intruder assaulting her. The assailant allegedly left her injured before fleeing. Mirabel explained that she initially thought the bleeding she noticed afterward was menstrual, until she received disturbing messages from a man she identified as the suspect.

READ ALSO:

Screenshots shared by the victim show the suspect boasting about the attack and making threats intended to discourage her from seeking justice. The messages, which have circulated widely online, have drawn strong condemnation from the public.

In a follow-up video, Mirabel appeared visibly distressed and disclosed that she attempted to harm herself afterward but was rushed to hospital by a friend and survived. She thanked those who reached out in support and said she needed time to recover before engaging further.

The case has sparked an outpouring of sympathy from Nigerians across social media, with many demanding the immediate arrest and prosecution of the suspect and renewed action against sexual violence. Advocacy groups and citizens are urging law enforcement to ensure accountability and protect survivors.

Mirabel’s story has reignited conversations about women’s safety, survivor support, and the need for swift justice in Nigeria.

If you or someone you know is in danger or struggling after an assault, please seek immediate help from trusted people or local emergency services.

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

Continue Reading

metro

BREAKING: Drama in NASS as Reps Clash Over Backup Manual Result Collation

Published

on

Speaker, House of Reps, Tajudeen Abbas

BREAKING: Drama in NASS as Reps Clash Over Backup Manual Result Collation

Abuja — Tension erupted at the National Assembly on Tuesday as opposition lawmakers staged a dramatic walkout in protest against the approval of manual collation of election results as a backup to electronic transmission.

The controversy unfolded during plenary when a motion seeking to adopt manual collation as a contingency measure in the event of technical failure of electronic transmission systems was presented for consideration. While the majority lawmakers supported the proposal, opposition members strongly objected, arguing that the move could undermine electoral transparency and public confidence in the electoral process.

Heated Debate on the Floor

The debate quickly grew intense as several opposition representatives warned that reintroducing manual collation, even as a backup, could open the door to manipulation and irregularities.

One opposition lawmaker described the decision as “a dangerous step backward,” insisting that Nigeria’s electoral reforms were designed to eliminate the flaws associated with manual processes. According to them, reliance on manual collation in previous elections had been a major source of disputes and litigation.

However, lawmakers from the majority caucus defended the proposal, stating that the backup option was necessary to safeguard the integrity of elections in situations where electronic systems malfunction due to network failure, cyber threats, or logistical challenges.

A ranking member of the majority party argued that “no responsible legislature should ignore the possibility of technical glitches,” stressing that manual collation would only serve as a last resort and not replace electronic transmission.

READ ALSO:

Dramatic Walkout

Following the Speaker’s ruling allowing the motion to proceed to approval by voice vote, opposition lawmakers rose from their seats in protest. Chanting “No to manual manipulation” and “Protect our votes,” they exited the chamber en masse.

The walkout temporarily disrupted proceedings, drawing reactions from observers and legislative aides present in the gallery.

Despite the protest, the remaining lawmakers proceeded to adopt the motion, effectively approving manual collation as a backup mechanism pending further legislative fine-tuning and possible amendments to the electoral framework.

Implications for Electoral Reform

The development is expected to generate significant political debate across party lines and among civil society organizations. Advocacy groups have consistently pushed for full electronic transmission of results to minimize human interference and enhance credibility.

Political analysts say the decision could become a flashpoint ahead of future elections, especially given past controversies surrounding result collation.

As of press time, leaders of the opposition caucus were reportedly preparing a joint press briefing to outline their position and next steps, including the possibility of seeking judicial interpretation if the approval translates into legislative amendments.

Further updates will follow as the situation develops.

BREAKING: Drama in NASS as Reps Clash Over Backup Manual Result Collation

Continue Reading

metro

Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Pays Courtesy Visit to Customs Zonal Deputy Controller in Ibadan

Published

on

Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Pays Courtesy Visit to Customs Zonal Deputy Controller in Ibadan

The Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Land, Sheikh Al-Imam Barrister Bilal Husayn Akinola Akeugberu, on Tuesday paid a courtesy visit to the Zonal Deputy Controller of the Nigeria Customs Service, DC Wale Moses Adewole, at the Oyo and Osun Zonal Directorate Office, Agodi Secretariat, Ibadan.

The visit, which took place on February 17, 2026, was marked by warm reception and professional camaraderie, underscoring a shared commitment to institutional cooperation and national development.

According to a statement issued by the Media Office of the Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Land, the engagement forms part of the Imam’s ongoing outreach to key government institutions aimed at strengthening moral values, civic responsibility, and harmonious relationships between religious leadership and public agencies.

READ ALSO:

In his remarks, Sheikh Akeugberu commended DC Adewole and officers of the Nigeria Customs Service for what he described as their dedication to safeguarding the nation’s economic frontiers, facilitating legitimate trade, and contributing significantly to national revenue generation.

He emphasized that integrity, transparency, and accountability remain indispensable pillars of effective public service, noting that religious and public institutions must work collaboratively to promote ethical standards within society.

The Imam further reiterated that Islam promotes justice, fairness, and lawful conduct in all spheres of life. He assured the Customs leadership of the Muslim community’s continued support in encouraging compliance with lawful regulations and fostering a culture of discipline and responsibility.

Responding, DC Wale Moses Adewole expressed appreciation for the visit, describing it as inspiring and encouraging. He acknowledged the important role religious leaders play in shaping moral consciousness, patriotism, and discipline among citizens.

Adewole reaffirmed the commitment of the Oyo and Osun Zonal Directorate to professionalism, fairness, and efficient service delivery in line with the mandate of the Nigeria Customs Service.

The meeting, described as cordial and intellectually engaging, concluded with special prayers offered by the Grand Chief Imam for divine guidance, wisdom, and continued success for the Customs leadership and the entire Service.

The visit, stakeholders say, reinforces the collective aspiration for a peaceful, law-abiding, and economically progressive Oyo State and Nigeria at large.

Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Pays Courtesy Visit to Customs Zonal Deputy Controller in Ibadan

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending