Abdulsalami Abubakar
A former Head of State, Abdulsalami Abubakar, says he is recovering well from knee problems which led to his cancelling activities to mark his 80th birthday.
In a phone chat with TheCable on Monday evening following widespread reports that he had suffered a stroke, the retired general said he only had issues with his knee which affected his movement.
He said, “I had a swollen knee and was unable to walk for days in the last week of May.
“After initial care by my doctors, they advised that I should seek further expert care abroad. That was why I had to cancel my birthday programme.
READ ALSO:
“I was on admission for a brief period but I have now been discharged while doctors do a regular follow-up. I am much better. It was not an emergency and I was not rushed to any hospital.
“I appreciate the support, love and care that Nigerians have been showing since the story went on social media. I am grateful to all my friends and well-wishers.”
He however did not say when he would return to the country.
Abdulsalami handed over to a democratically elected government in May 1999 and is seen as one of the heroes of Nigerian democracy.
He has also been involved in a number of peace moves to prevent violence around elections and promote the spirit of sportsmanship.
Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the governor of Lagos, said…
Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos The Lagos State Police Command has taken a…
Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt Senate President Godswill Akpabio has said he will…
Oyo PDP chieftain Adeojo dies, Makinde mourns Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has expressed deep sorrow…
Bayelsa govt gets court order to stop pro-Wike rally A High Court in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, has…
Petitioners mobilise constituents for fresh Natasha’s recall Following the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) dismissal of…