News

Adeleke withdraws EFCC suit after Tinubu’s intervention

Adeleke withdraws EFCC suit after Tinubu’s intervention

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has directed the state Attorney-General to withdraw the lawsuit filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the restriction placed on a state government account.

Adeleke disclosed this in an interview with Channels Television on Sunday, shortly after he was declared the winner of the Osun State governorship election, saying he was no longer interested in pursuing the case following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.

The governor said Tinubu personally intervened in the matter and contacted him, adding that he considered the President’s intervention sufficient reason to discontinue the legal action.

“What else do I want? I’ve instructed my Attorney-General to drop it. Mr President has done well; he called me. What more do I want?” Adeleke said.

The dispute followed the decision by the EFCC to place a Post-No-Debit restriction on an Osun State Government account as part of an investigation into the alleged handling of about ₦11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account.

The anti-graft agency said its investigation had been ongoing since March 2026. It said the restriction became necessary after it detected what it described as the “precipitate and unwarranted movement of funds” from the account into several corporate entities.

The EFCC maintained that the restriction was connected to its investigation and was aimed at preventing further movement of funds while the probe continued.

READ ALSO:

Adeleke had strongly opposed the action, directing the state Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice to challenge the restriction in court.

The governor had described the EFCC’s action as unlawful and politically motivated, particularly because it occurred shortly before the Osun governorship election.

The legal dispute subsequently became a major point of contention between the Osun State Government and the anti-graft agency, with the state seeking judicial intervention over the restriction on its account.

However, Adeleke has now opted to discontinue the case after Tinubu’s intervention.

The governor also addressed reports concerning some of his aides who had been invited or detained by the EFCC in connection with the investigation.

He said his lawyers were engaging with the commission and had been directed to visit the agency to address the matter.

“Well, we are… we’ve been talking. I’ve been calling all my lawyers to go there,” Adeleke said.

The governor also questioned the decision to invite some of his aides, particularly his spokesperson, for questioning by the anti-graft agency.

“Can you imagine my spokesperson? You are inviting my spokesperson to EFCC. Is my spokesperson a finance minister or accountant? So I told him, ‘Go,’” he said.

Adeleke, however, said his aides had complied with the invitations because they had nothing to hide.

The governor further clarified that his renewed support for Tinubu should not be interpreted as an indication that he intends to return to the All Progressives Congress (APC).

When asked whether he would return to the APC, Adeleke said, “I’m not even thinking about it right now.”

He nevertheless stressed that remaining outside the APC would not prevent him from supporting Tinubu ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

“But that doesn’t mean I can’t express my support… Mr President,” Adeleke said.

The governor, who previously contested political positions under the APC before moving to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and later the Accord Party, said his support for Tinubu was independent of his party affiliation.

Adeleke also alleged that some individuals had been using Tinubu’s name in connection with the EFCC matter without the President’s knowledge.

His comments came after he defeated the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, in Saturday’s governorship election to secure a second term as Osun governor.

According to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Adeleke polled 511,067 votes, while Oyebamiji secured 444,815 votes.

The governor’s decision to withdraw the lawsuit is expected to ease the immediate legal confrontation between the Osun State Government and the EFCC, although the anti-graft agency’s investigation into the alleged handling of public funds remains a separate matter.

The development also comes at a significant political moment for Adeleke, who is preparing to begin his second term after another closely contested election in the state.

Adeleke withdraws EFCC suit after Tinubu’s intervention

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

TCN Injects 220MVA Into Lagos Grid, Boosts Power Supply to 134,000 Residents

TCN Injects 220MVA Into Lagos Grid, Boosts Power Supply to 134,000 Residents The Transmission Company…

2 minutes ago

Obasanjo Pays Surprise Visit to Adeleke, Tasks Him on Good Governance

Obasanjo Pays Surprise Visit to Adeleke, Tasks Him on Good Governance Former President Olusegun Obasanjo…

12 minutes ago

US Teen Charged With Killing Mother, Brother After ChatGPT Searches

US Teen Charged With Killing Mother, Brother After ChatGPT Searches A 17-year-old Massachusetts boy, Arjun…

19 minutes ago

Davido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu

Davido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu Afrobeats superstar David Adeleke, popularly known…

28 minutes ago

King’s College Concession: Parents Mobilise for Mass Protest as N100bn Takeover Plan Sparks Outrage

King's College Concession: Parents Mobilise for Mass Protest as N100bn Takeover Plan Sparks Outrage The…

39 minutes ago

Osun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church

Osun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church The Osun State Police Command has…

1 hour ago