All passengers, crew members alive after Toronto plane crash - Newstrends
Connect with us

International

All passengers, crew members alive after Toronto plane crash

Published

on

All passengers, crew members alive after Toronto plane crash

All passengers and crew on a flight which crashed and overturned while landing at Toronto Pearson Airport in Canada have survived, the airport’s chief executive said.

“We are very grateful there was no loss of life and relatively minor injuries,” said Deborah Flint of the Greater Toronto Airports Authority.

One child and two adults were critically injured in the crash, according to emergency services. Images shared on social media show a plane flipped over and lying on its roof on the snow-covered tarmac. It appears to be missing at least one wing.

Toronto Pearson Airport said the crash involved a Delta Air Lines flight arriving from Minneapolis, and of the 80 people on board, 76 were passengers and four were crew.

Eighteen passengers were transported to hospital in total.

Ontario air ambulance service Ornge said it haddispatched three air ambulance helicopters and two land ambulances to the scene.

The patients with critical injuries include a child, a man in his 60s and a woman in her 40s, it added.

In an evening briefing, Ms Flint called the response by emergency personnel “textbook” and credited them with helping ensure no loss of life.

The US Federal Aviation Authority said the plane involved was Delta Air Lines Flight 4819, being operated by one of its subsidiaries, Endeavor Air.

Delta confirmed that a CRJ900 aircraft was involved in the incident at about 14:15 ET (19:15 GMT) on Monday afternoon.

READ ALSO:

Twenty-two passengers are Canadian and the rest are “multinational”, Ms Flint said.

The airport was closed shortly after the incident, but flights into and out of Toronto Pearson resumed at about 17:00 local time, the airport said.

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada said it was deploying a team to “gather information and assess the occurrence”.

Two runways will remain closed for several days for investigation and passengers have been told to expect some delays.

Toronto Pearson fire chief Todd Aitken said on Monday night that while it was early in the investigation, they could say “the runway was dry and there was no cross-wind conditions”.

That contradicts earlier reports of wind gusts of more than 64km/h (40mph) and a crosswind.

Video footage shared on social media shows people clambering out of the overturned aircraft, with fire crews spraying it with foam.

“We’re in Toronto, we just landed. Our plane crashed, it’s upside down,” said one man as he filmed a video taken from outside the upturned plane.

The video shows passengers being helped out of the plane’s doors by airport staff, with some then running away from the plane’s entrance.

“Most people appear to be OK. We’re all getting off, there’s some smoke going on,” he can be heard saying.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said provincial officials were in contact with the airport and local authorities and would provide any help needed.

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz said he was “grateful to the first responders and professionals on the scene”.

READ ALSO:

After the crash, the airport’s arrival and departure boards showed scores of delays and cancellations to flights.

Some passengers told the BBC that they were now stuck in Toronto for several days after their flights were cancelled, with none available on Monday or Tuesday.

James and Andrea Turner were in customs – located right before the departure gates – when they were suddenly told to evacuate.

“They got rid of everybody from customs to security, and then put everybody back to the general area,” James said, adding that the departures hall was packed as a result.

The couple had been due to board the plane that crashed on the runway. Their flight was then cancelled – the third delay to their trip, after their previous journeys were rescheduled because of bad weather.

Toronto Pearson Airport had been experiencing weather-related delays over the last few days, with heavy snowfall and freezing temperatures battering parts of Ontario.

Two storms – one on Wednesday and one on Sunday – covered the city with a total of 30-50cm (11.8-19.6 inches) of snow.

The BBC’s US partner CBS reports that there was light snow falling at the time of the crash.

Earlier on Monday, the airport warned that “frigid temperatures and high winds were moving in”.

It said a “busy day” was expected, with airlines “catching up after this weekend’s snowstorm which dumped over 22cm of snow at the airport”.

The crash is at least the fourth major aviation incident in North America in the past month – including a deadly in-air collision between a passenger plane and a military helicopter near Washington DC’s Ronald Reagan airport, which killed all 67 people on board.

 

All passengers, crew members alive after Toronto plane crash

BBC

Loading

International

UK, Australia, Canada Lead 28 Nations in Condemning Israel Over Gaza Aid Killings Probe Closure

Published

on

UK, Australia, Canada Lead 28 Nations in Condemning Israel Over Gaza Aid Killings Probe Closure

UK, Australia, Canada Lead 28 Nations in Condemning Israel Over Gaza Aid Killings Probe Closure

The United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada have condemned Israel’s decision to close a criminal investigation into the 2024 killing of seven World Central Kitchen (WCK) aid workers in Gaza, calling the move “shameful” and “both too little, and too late.” The announcement came on World Humanitarian Day, August 19, 2026, a timing the three governments described as “particularly egregious.”

The Israeli military announced on August 19 that it would not pursue criminal proceedings into the April 1, 2024 strike on the WCK convoy, saying there was no reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct. The attack killed seven humanitarian workers who were delivering food to civilians in Gaza. The victims included Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom, three British security personnel, a dual Canadian-US citizen Jacob Flickinger, Polish national Damian Sobol, and Palestinian Saifeddin Issam Ayad Abutaha. The deadly strike occurred despite the convoy having coordinated its route with the Israeli military, and the vehicles were clearly marked with the WCK logo.

In a joint statement issued on August 21, the foreign ministries of the three countries said they had spent more than two years pressing Israel to conduct a swift and thorough investigation into the attack and hold those responsible to account. The governments noted that at the time, the Israel Defense Forces had described the incident as a serious mistake and failure, and that in the more than two years since, they had been pressing for Israel to swiftly and thoroughly consider the case and hold those responsible to account. The statement said the decision to close the case without further explanation was “shameful” and that announcing it on World Humanitarian Day, while the world honoured the courage and sacrifice of humanitarians, was particularly egregious. The governments stressed that the World Central Kitchen attack was not an isolated incident, arguing that the lack of accountability extended to numerous other incidents involving humanitarian workers in Gaza, noting that despite a fragile ceasefire, Gaza remains the deadliest place to deliver aid, with 186 humanitarian workers killed in 2025.

READ ALSO:

Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong separately expressed outrage at the decision, stating that the Israeli military’s response fell short of the standards of accountability Australia expected following the killing of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six other WCK workers. Wong summoned Israel’s ambassador to Australia, Hillel Newman, to express her concerns and later acknowledged that relations between Australia and Israel were at a “difficult time.” She said the government had learned of Israel’s decision moments before it was announced on World Humanitarian Day, which she described as “especially insulting to Zomi’s loved ones, humanitarians and all Australians.” The foreign minister said key questions remained unanswered, including why two further strikes followed the initial attack, each two minutes apart, why the strikes occurred in a humanitarian “fire control” zone, and Israel’s repeated refusals to hand over audio evidence of the attack. Wong stated that Australia did not have confidence in the IDF’s Military Advocate-General’s process given the many unanswered questions.

Frankcom’s family expressed deep disappointment and called on the Australian government to pursue all available legal avenues for an independent and credible investigation. Her brother, Josh Frankcom, said Israel’s decision was “simply not good enough.” The family has been vocal in demanding accountability for Zomi’s death, and they have questioned why the Israeli military has not provided a satisfactory explanation for the attack.

Israeli Ambassador to Australia Hillel Newman defended the military investigation, saying it was thorough and that the findings should not be attacked if they were not suitable to one’s political agenda. He said the IDF conceded serious failures had led soldiers to mistakenly believe a Hamas fighter was travelling with the convoy, but concluded there was no criminal intent. Newman said Israel was open to discussing reparations for Frankcom’s family if a formal request was lodged, but he stopped short of offering a formal apology, saying doing so could have legal ramifications. The IDF’s decision came alongside announcements that it would open criminal investigations into two other high-profile Gaza incidents: the killing of six-year-old Hind Rajab and six family members in January 2024, and the killing of 15 rescue workers in a Rafah convoy in March 2024. The United Nations has accused Israel of failing to provide adequate accountability for civilian deaths in Gaza, and the latest decision is likely to deepen international isolation for Israel.

UK, Australia, Canada Lead 28 Nations in Condemning Israel Over Gaza Aid Killings Probe Closure

Loading

Continue Reading

International

North Korea Fires 10+ Missiles Hours After Trump Signals Fresh Kim Summit

Published

on

North Korea Fires 10+ Missiles Hours After Trump Signals Fresh Kim Summit

North Korea Fires 10+ Missiles Hours After Trump Signals Fresh Kim Summit

North Korea launched more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward the East Sea on Thursday, just hours after President Donald Trump publicly declared his intention to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un later this year. The provocative test represents a blunt rejection of Trump’s diplomatic overtures and comes despite his recent order to scale back joint US-South Korean military drills. The launch was detected around 5:00 p.m. local time from the Pyongyang area. According to South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, the missiles traveled approximately 300 kilometers before landing in the sea, with detailed specifications still under analysis by US and South Korean intelligence. This marks the 12th missile test by Pyongyang this year and comes only eight days after the previous launch.

The missile salvo directly follows a series of conciliatory gestures from Washington. On Monday, Trump posted on social media that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, citing what he described as his “very good relationship” with Kim Jong Un. The following day, Trump told reporters that Kim had responded to his “dialogue” offer, though he declined to share specifics. The Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercises, originally scheduled to run for 11 days, were abruptly shortened to just 5 days following Trump’s directive. The Pentagon said the reduced drills would cause “no degradation to US training objectives.” Reports indicate Trump is privately pushing aides to arrange a meeting with Kim as early as this fall, potentially during an Asia trip scheduled for November 2026 for the APEC summit in Shenzhen.

READ ALSO:

Despite these overtures, North Korea responded with defiance. Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of Kim Jong Un and a senior Workers’ Party official, issued a statement dismissing the reduction in US-South Korean drills as “not even worth commenting on” and “completely uninteresting.” “Reducing the scale or duration of the exercises does not change their fundamentally provocative and aggressive nature,” Kim Yo Jong said. She emphasized that the joint exercises are “still underway,” calling them “an unmistakable expression of hostility toward North Korea.” As for the communication between the North Korean and American leaders mentioned by President Trump, Kim Yo Jong clearly drew the line by saying she has “absolutely no knowledge of it.” She added, however, that “relations between the two leaders remain excellent,” saying this is “well known to the world and hardly surprising.” Her statement, issued just hours before the missile launch, effectively signaled that Pyongyang would not be swayed by US diplomatic gestures alone.

Analysts view the launch as a calculated act of defiance with multiple strategic objectives. The test occurred just before the shortened UFS exercises were scheduled to conclude, suggesting frustration that the drills were still ongoing despite the reduction. North Korea has previously used similar provocations during joint US-South Korean exercises, viewing them as preparation for invasion. Trump, who held an unprecedented series of summits with Kim in 2018 and 2019, has since referred to North Korea repeatedly as a “nuclear power,” although his administration continues to call for denuclearisation. Trump told reporters on Wednesday that North Korea possesses 57 “very powerful” nuclear weapons, a specific figure he has cited for the first time regarding the North’s nuclear stockpile. South Korean estimates put the country’s nuclear arsenal at between 80 and 120 weapons. Trump’s renewed engagement with Kim has raised concerns among some US allies in Asia and sparked speculation that he may be seeking a diplomatic breakthrough as efforts to resolve the Iran conflict encounter difficulties.

South Korea’s presidential office convened an emergency national security meeting immediately following the launch, condemning the act as a grave violation of UN Security Council resolutions. The office stressed the need to maintain a “thorough readiness posture” and urged Pyongyang to halt such provocations. South Korean, US, and Japanese authorities are sharing intelligence and maintaining heightened readiness, with the South Korean military emphasizing its ability to “overwhelmingly respond to any provocation.” The United States currently maintains approximately 28,500 troops in South Korea, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War that ended with an armistice rather than a formal peace agreement. South Korean Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back said Seoul remained opposed to officially recognising the North as a nuclear-weapon state. Asked whether Washington had “given up” on North Korea’s denuclearisation, Ahn said he did not believe so. President Lee Jae Myung, who has advocated stronger domestic defence capabilities to lessen Seoul’s dependence on Washington, said he would “do his utmost” to support Trump’s peacemaking efforts with the North.

North Korea Fires 10+ Missiles Hours After Trump Signals Fresh Kim Summit

Loading

Continue Reading

International

Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash

Published

on

Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash

Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash

A tourist helicopter crash in Kenya’s Samburu County on Wednesday claimed the lives of all seven people on board, including Ecuador’s intelligence chief Michele Sensi-Contugi, his wife, and five American citizens, in a tragic incident that has sent shockwaves through diplomatic and tourism circles. The Eurocopter EC130 B4 aircraft crashed near Mount Ololokwe at approximately 9:13 am local time (06:13 GMT) while on a scenic flight from the Loisaba wildlife conservancy to the Ewaso Nyiro river, with the helicopter carrying guests from the luxury tour agency &Beyond and operated by Lady Lori Helicopters, as Kenya’s Transport Ministry has launched an investigation into the cause of the crash.

Michele Sensi-Contugi, 44, was the Director General of Ecuador’s Strategic Intelligence Center, appointed to the role in 2024, and he was a close associate of Ecuador’s President Daniel Noboa, having previously served as Minister of the Interior, while his wife, Stephany Hollihan, 42, an American fashion designer and founder of Sensi Studio, was also among the deceased. The five American victims have been partially identified, with José Alberto Suárez, 55, confirmed as an executive with the Spanish-language television company Telemundo, serving as president and general manager of multiple Telemundo-owned stations in Florida, and NBCUniversal described Suárez as a deeply respected leader and beloved friend and colleague, while Miami restaurateur Roger Duarte was also confirmed among the American victims, though the remaining American victims have not yet been publicly identified, and the pilot was a Kenyan national.

READ ALSO:

The US State Department confirmed the deaths of five American citizens, stating that the US Embassy is in touch with local authorities and is providing consular assistance while extending deepest condolences to the families and loved ones on their loss, as Ecuador’s presidential office also expressed condolences, with the government saying the death of Sensi-Contugi represents a great loss for the country. The Kenya Red Cross reported that search and recovery efforts were hampered by difficult terrain and an active fire at the crash site, with an additional team dispatched from Isiolo to reinforce operations, while Samburu County Police Commander David Nkoroi confirmed all seven people on board had died, as the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA) and the Aircraft Accident Investigations Department lead investigations into the circumstances surrounding the crash.

Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending