As controversy over Maersk-FG port investment rages, Onanuga says no $600m deal signed
The Nigerian government and a shipping giant, Maersk, have not signed any investment agreement, Bayo Onanuga, special adviser on information and strategy to President Bola Tinubu, has said.
Onanuga was reacting to the controversy surrounding the reported sealing of a $600 million deal for the development of the nation’s seaports.
He said there was only talk “of possible investment in Nigeria” by Maersk.
Interestingly Onanuga had hinted about the deal in a tweet said to have been pulled down after the social media backlash.
After President Tinubu’s discussion with Maersk’s Chairman Robert Uggla on April 28, on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum Special Meeting in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, the presidency had released a statement announcing that the shipping company had pledged to inject $600 million into the Nigerian seaport industry.
“Danish shipping company, A.P Moller-Maersk plans $600m investment in Nigeria. Danish shipping and logistics company A.P Moller-Maersk has disclosed a planned investment of $600 million in Nigeria to accommodate more container shipping services in Nigerian ports,” Onanuga wrote on X.
In a statement, Tinubu’s spokesperson, Ajuri Ngelale, also said “President Tinubu meets Chairman of Danish shipping giant Maersk, secures $600 million investment in Nigerian seaport infrastructure.” He quoted Uggla as saying, “We believe in Nigeria, and we will invest $600m in existing facilities and make the ports accommodating for bigger ships.”
In response to this. Maersk officials have denied any such agreement and stress no deals have been signed.
Onanuga in a new report by TheCable, an online news platform admitted no agreement on investment had been reached by the two parties.
“I think the statement issued by Maersk did not talk about a deal. There was no deal according to that statement that I read.
“However, there was talk of investment,” the special adviser said.
“No document or agreement was signed, so there was no deal. But there was talk of a possible investment in the country.
“So, go and read the statement again. They never said any deal was signed between the Nigerian government and the Dutch company. There was nothing like that.”
Onanuga however said the shipping company did not expressly deny that there was an investment talk.
He said people are “unnecessarily giddy over nothing.
Tinubu must address rising mass massacres now, By Farooq Kperogi Recent events show a widening…
Man Arrested for Slitting Wife’s Throat During Farm Argument A tragedy occurred in Amaji Village,…
Armed Bandits Kill 30, Kidnap Villagers in Zamfara Attack At least 30 people have been…
Agege Council Announces Free 3kg Cooking Gas Refill for 4,000 Residents The Chairman of Agege…
Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder President Bola Tinubu has summoned Ondo…
FCT Polls: S'Court, A'Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities The Supreme Court of…