Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Saturday announced that he had authorized $200 million in defensive assistance for Ukraine following a request from President Biden.
“I have immediately authorized today, pursuant to a delegation by the President, a fourth Presidential Drawdown of up to $200 million for additional military assistance for Ukraine’s defense,” said in a statement.
“This package will include further defensive assistance to help Ukraine meet the armored, airborne, and other threats it is facing,” he continued.
Blinken noted that the additional funds would bring the total amount of U.S. security assistance provided to Ukraine since Jan. 2021 to $1.2 billion, saying in a post on Twitter that the fourth drawdown in less than a year was “unprecedented.”
- Kyiv ‘ready to fight’ as Russian forces close in on Ukraine capital
- Malami makes a U-turn, says no evidence Kyari laundered money
- AGF Malami orders DSS to hands-off Sowore’s trial, takes over case-file
Earlier on Saturday, Biden directed Blinken to provide the defense aid, saying the secretary of state could use the funds for military training and to provide general “assistance to Ukraine and to make the determinations required.”
This comes after Congress on Thursday approved a massive government funding package that included $13.6 billion in aid tied to Ukraine.
The Russian invasion of Ukraine, now extending into its third week, has met with condemnation and multiple waves of sanctions targeting Moscow from the U.S. and its allies.
“We are committed to Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity and will continue to provide Ukraine the support it needs,” Blinken said.
“We will also continue to provide humanitarian assistance to those in need and to back the people of Ukraine in their fight for their country through security and economic assistance,” he continued. “The international community is united and determined to hold Putin accountable.”
Kenya’s Presidential Race: Early Results Put Odinga Slightly Ahead
Official results provided by the Kenyan election commission have shown that veteran opposition leader Raila Odinga led Kenya’s presidential race.
The results, which were displayed on a large screen at a national tallying centre in the capital, Nairobi, also pushed Deputy President William Ruto into second place.
The results, with just over 26 % of votes counted, Odinga had 54% and Ruto had 45%.
- Unknown gunmen now known; they’re Igbo who kill for human organs – Soludo
- I can comfortably buy a guy, keep him in my house, control him – Nkechi Blessing [VIDEO]
- Oshiomhole praises Jonathan, says he left enviable legacies
Ruto and Odinga are in a tight race to succeed President Uhuru Kenyatta, who has reached his two-term limit. Kenyatta fell out with Ruto after the last election and has endorsed Odinga.
Official vote tallying has been proceeding slowly, fueling public anxiety.
Election commission chairman Wafula Chebukati blamed party agents, who are allowed to scrutinise results forms before they are added to the final tally.
The winning candidate must receive 50% of the national vote plus one, and at least 25% of the vote from 24 of 47 counties.
The commission has until Tuesday to declare a winner.
Massive explosions rock Russian base in Crimea in major blow to Putin
Huge explosions have rocked an air base in occupied Crimea, a symbolic blow to Vladimir Putin’s war effort.
Ukrainian authorities have stopped short of formally confirming its missiles hit the target but an advisor to Volodymyr Zelensky strongly hinted this was the case.
It would mark the first major strike on a Russian asset in the peninsula since the February invasion began.
At more than 200km away from any territory held by Ukraine, it will also be seen as a vindication of the West’s strategy to provide Kyiv with long range missiles.
Kremlin troops have occupied the area since 2014 and have used it as a staging ground for its assault on the south of Ukraine.
Tourists at nearby resorts were reportedly evacuated as huge pillars of black smoke rose over the skyline.
- Oil price falls to $95 a barrel over plans to restore Iran nuclear deal
- Toyin Lawani: My Uncle Impregnated Me At 15
- FG moves to stop $1.9bn monthly loss to oil theft
- Nigerian Faces 10 years Behind Bars in the US for Fraud
Russian authorities said at least one person was killed when munitions blew up at Saki air base.
The defence ministry insisted the installation had not been shelled, a similar approach to denials issued in the wake of the sinking of the Moskva ship by a Ukrainian missile.
TASS, a Russian news agency, reported a military source claiming it was caused ‘only [by the] violation of fire safety standards.
The Kremlin has consistently claimed a fire which spread to munitions sunk the Moskva, the Black Sea fleet flagship which went down in April and gave Ukrainians a major morale boost.
Mykhailo Podolyak, an aide to the Ukrainian president, wrote on Twitter after the Crimea blast: ‘Demilitarization of the Russian Federation — an integral part of global security ensuring.
‘The future of the Crimea is to be a pearl of the Black Sea, a national park with unique nature and a world resort. Not a military base for terrorists. It is just the beginning.’
Crimea’s head Sergei Aksyonov said ambulances and medical helicopters were sent to the Saki air base and the area was sealed off within a radius of three miles.
It remains to be seen how the Kremlin will response after it previously threatened to strike ‘decision-making centres’ in Kyiv if Crimea was targeted.
Ukrainian officials earlier confirmed three people were killed and 23 more wounded in various shelling incidents, including near the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant.
Kenya Elections 2022: Raila Odinga and William Ruto in Tight Race for President
Kenyans are choosing their next president after an intense campaign dominated by debates about living costs, unemployment and corruption.
Outgoing President Uhuru Kenyatta, having served the constitutionally limited two terms, is backing one-time foe Raila Odinga, 77, to succeed him.
His decision followed a falling out with Deputy President William Ruto, 55, who had expected to be endorsed.
More than 22 million Kenyans have registered to vote.
There are several other elections happening at the same time and a mix-up of ballot papers in some areas for some of those votes has again raised questions about the organisation of the general election.
Polls are open for 11 hours from 06:00 local time (03:00 GMT). Anyone still in the queue at closing time will be allowed to vote.
The results of the last presidential election in 2017 were annulled after the Supreme Court ruled that the electoral commission had not followed the law when it came to the electronic transmission of the vote tallies from the polling stations.
Judges ruled that “illegalities and irregularities” had taken place.
A re-run was won by Mr Kenyatta, but boycotted by Mr Odinga – the main opposition candidate at the time.
The chairman of the electoral commission, Wafula Chebukati, who was also in charge of the 2017 vote, has frequently tried to reassure Kenyans that his team will be up to the task this time.
But Monday’s logistical problems have increased the pressure on him.
Baba v Hustler
This election looks like it will be a tight race between frontrunners Mr Odinga and Mr Ruto.
Two other candidates – David Mwaure and George Wajackoya – are also in the race.
Despite the campaign being dominated by issues, ethnic loyalty may also play a part in determining how people vote.
For the first time in the multi-party era none of the main candidates are from the country’s largest ethnic group – Kikuyu.
But knowing that those votes are vital, both have chosen Kikuyu running mates.
To win the presidential race in the first round, a candidate needs:
- more than half of all the votes cast across the country
- at least 25% of the votes cast in a minimum of 24 counties.
On election day, voters will have their fingerprint scanned to check their identity but a printed register can also be used if the machines fail.
Each voter will then be given colour-coded ballot papers for each of the elections, which they will mark in a private booth and drop in the relevant ballot boxes.
Counting will start at the polling stations shortly after voting ends. Officials will then take a photo of the final tally and send the image to both the constituency and national tallying centres.
To ensure transparency the media, political parties and civil society groups have been urged to run their own tallies using final results declared at the more than 40,000 polling stations.
But only the electoral commission can declare the winner of the presidential election after verifying the physical and digital forms sent to the national tallying centre.
The main presidential candidates have vowed to respect the result of the elections.
Nigerian girls more afraid of pregnancy than STDs – Actress Etinosa
Contractor lays final track beam of Lagos blue rail
UI Nigerian only varsity among global ranking
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
American preacher, Creflo Dollar confesses he misled congregants, says tithing not biblical + Video
[UPDATED]Conflicting Reports Over Viral Video Of Soldiers Evacuating ‘Bandits’ In Kaduna + Video
Lagos mother fights off suspected ritualist attempting to abduct kids + VIDEO
Business1 week ago
Agric budgets hit N874.83bn, food imports gulp N7.81tn
Sports1 week ago
Golden Sunday for Nigeria as Brume takes country CWG gold medals to 12
Education1 week ago
Oyo denies returning schools to original owners
metro7 days ago
Notorious Osun cultist, Oko’lu, remanded for murder, arson
News1 week ago
Wike alleges politicians recruiting cultists to destabilise Rivers
Business1 week ago
Oil price falls to $95 a barrel over plans to restore Iran nuclear deal
metro1 week ago
Kwara cultists gun down two during August celebration
metro1 week ago
Lagos corporal beats up senior officer over traffic