Some Boko Haram fighters renounced membership of the sect on Wednesday in Borno.
They gave up their arms and ammunition to security forces stationed in the Gwoza axis.
The commanders and footsoldiers had escaped from Jaje within the Sambisa Forest.
Operation Hadin Kai troops of 192 Battalion deployed to Gwoza-Limankara road took them into custody.
READ ALSO:
An intelligence officer told PRNigeria that many terrorists were forcefully conscripted at a young age.
“So far, more than 17,000 members of Boko Haram have surrendered despite ISWAP efforts to stop them,” the source said.
The military expects more submissions before the end of 2021.
Also on Wednesday, soldiers engaged Islamic State’s West Africa Province (ISWAP) insurgents at Malam Fatori.
The area, near the border with Niger Republic, is one of the terror group’s strongholds and hosts the Shura Council.
Daily Post
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has appointed…
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities Dozens of people are feared…
AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC Less than 48…
Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity…
Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64 Lawmaker representing the South East Senatorial district…
Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets By…