International
BREAKING: Explosion Rocks Ukraine As Putin Declares Military Operation
Russian President Vladimir Putin announced a military operation in Ukraine on Thursday with explosions heard soon after in the capital and other parts of the country, prompting outrage from Joe Biden who warned of a “catastrophic loss of life”.
Weeks of intense diplomacy and the imposition of Western sanctions failed to deter Putin, who had massed between 150,000 and 200,000 troops along the borders of Ukraine.
“I have made the decision of a military operation,” Putin said in a surprise television announcement shortly before 6:00am (0300 GMT) in Moscow.
He also called on Ukrainian soldiers to lay down their arms, claiming he wanted a “demilitarisation” of the former Soviet state but not its occupation.
An AFP reporter in Kyiv heard explosions within about 30 minutes of Putin’s announcement. Explosions were also heard in the eastern city of Mariupol, according to AFP.
US President Biden announced he would address the nation Thursday on “consequences” for Russia and said the world would “hold Russia accountable” for its actions.
He said a Russian attack would cause “catastrophic loss of life and human suffering”.
Putin’s announcement statement came after the Kremlin said rebel leaders in eastern Ukraine had asked Moscow for military help against Kyiv.
READ ALSO:
- Gunmen Kidnap Bride-To-Be, 5 Others In Kaduna
- Buhari Endorses Abdullahi Adamu As APC Chairman
- Insecurity: Niger Raises Alarm Over Influx Of Illegal Immigrants
In response, Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky made an emotional late-night appeal to Russians not to support a “major war in Europe”.
Speaking Russian, Zelensky said that the people of Russia are being lied to about Ukraine and that the possibility of war also “depends on you”.
“Who can stop (the war)? People. These people are among you, I am sure,” he said.
Zelensky said he had tried to call Putin but there was “no answer, only silence”, adding that Moscow now had around 200,000 soldiers near Ukraine’s borders.
Earlier on Wednesday the separatist leaders of Donetsk and Lugansk sent separate letters to Putin, asking him to “help them repel Ukraine’s aggression”, Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.
The two letters were published by Russian state media and were both dated February 22.
Their appeals came after Putin recognised their independence and signed friendship treaties with them that include defence deals.
– ‘Moment of peril’ –
Putin has defied a barrage of international criticism over the crisis, with some Western leaders saying he was no longer rational.
His announcement of the military operation came ahead of a last-ditch summit involving European Union leaders in Brussels planned for Thursday.
The 27-nation bloc had also imposed sanctions on Russia’s defence minister Sergei Shoigu and high-ranking figures including the commanders of Russia’s army, navy and air force, another part of the wave of Western punishment after Putin sought to rewrite Ukraine’s borders.
The United Nations Security Council met late Wednesday for its second emergency session in three days over the crisis, with a personal plea there by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to Putin going unheeded.
“President Putin, stop your troops from attacking Ukraine, give peace a chance, too many people have already died,” Guterres said.
The US ambassador to the United Nations, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, warned that an all-out Russian invasion could displace five million people, triggering a new European refugee crisis.
Before Putin’s announcement, Ukraine had urged its approximately three million citizens living in Russia to leave.
“We are united in believing that the future of European security is being decided right now, here in our home, in Ukraine,” President Zelensky said during a joint media appearance with the visiting leaders of Poland and Lithuania.
Western capitals said Russia had amassed 150,000 troops in combat formations on Ukraine’s borders with Russia, Belarus and Russian-occupied Crimea and on warships in the Black Sea.
Ukraine has around 200,000 military personnel and Wednesday’s call up could see up to 250,000 reservists aged between 18 and 60 receive their mobilisation papers.
Moscow’s total forces are much larger — around a million active-duty personnel — and have been modernised and re-armed in recent years.
– High cost of war –
But Ukraine has received advanced anti-tank weapons and some drones from NATO members. More have been promised as the allies try to deter a Russian attack or at least make it costly.
Shelling had intensified in recent days between Ukrainian forces and Russia-backed separatists — a Ukrainian soldier was killed on Wednesday, the sixth in four days — and civilians living near the front were fearful.
Dmitry Maksimenko, a 27-year-old coal miner from government-held Krasnogorivka, told AFP that he was shocked when his wife came to tell him that Putin had recognised the two Russian-backed separatist enclaves.
“She said: ‘Have you heard the news?’. How could I have known? There’s no electricity, never mind internet. I don’t know what is going to happen next, but to be honest, I’m afraid,” he said.
In a Russian village around 50 kilometres (30 miles) from the border, AFP reporters saw military equipment including rocket launchers, howitzers and fuel tanks mounted on trains stretching for hundreds of metres.
Russia has long demanded that Ukraine be forbidden from ever joining the NATO alliance and that US troops pull out from Eastern Europe.
Speaking to journalists, Putin on Tuesday set out a number of stringent conditions if the West wanted to de-escalate the crisis, saying Ukraine should drop its NATO ambition and become neutral.
Washington Wednesday announced sanctions on the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline, which Germany had earlier effectively suspended by halting certification.
Australia, Britain, Japan and the European Union have all also announced sanctions.
(AFP)
![]()
International
North Korea Fires 10+ Missiles Hours After Trump Signals Fresh Kim Summit
International
Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash
Ecuador Intelligence Chief, 5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash
![]()
International
US indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
US indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
Justice Department Unseals 14-Count Superseding Indictment Alleging Massive Hacking Operation Conducted on Behalf of Iranian Government and IRGC
The United States has charged 17 Iranian nationals in connection with an alleged massive cyber-theft campaign that targeted hundreds of universities, private companies, government agencies, and non-governmental organisations across the globe. The US Department of Justice announced on Tuesday that a 14-count superseding indictment had been unsealed against members of the Mabna Institute, an Iran-based company accused of conducting coordinated cyber intrusions since at least 2013, according to multiple reports.
The indictment, which has been assigned to US District Judge Jesse M. Furman in the Southern District of New York, represents one of the most extensive cyber-related prosecutions ever brought against Iranian actors. Nine of the 17 defendants were previously charged in a seven-count indictment announced in March 2018, while Tuesday’s superseding indictment adds eight additional defendants to the case, expanding the scope of the alleged criminal enterprise.
Assistant Attorney General for National Security John Eisenberg stated that the defendants allegedly hacked universities and research institutions worldwide at the behest of entities including Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), stealing large volumes of information and intellectual property. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) also stated that the defendants allegedly operated a “hacking-for-hire” network targeting intellectual property belonging to American and allied universities, companies, and government agencies for the benefit of the Iranian government. The US authorities stressed that an indictment is merely an allegation and that all defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
READ ALSO:
- Police Nab 49-Year-Old With Pump-Action Rifle, 50 Ammunition Rounds In Anambra
- WMotors takes Jetour Africa Expedition to Lagos, Puts SUVs to Off-Road Test
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
The alleged hacking campaign targeted a staggering number of victims globally, including 144 US-based universities and 178 foreign universities, totalling 322 academic institutions worldwide. The hackers are alleged to have targeted more than 100,000 university professor accounts globally and successfully compromised about 8,000 accounts across the identified universities. The campaign, which began around 2013 and continued through at least December 2017, targeted academic research and intellectual property across fields including science and technology, engineering, social sciences, and medicine.
The Justice Department said the hackers stole at least 31.5 terabytes of academic data and intellectual property, including journals, theses, dissertations, and electronic books. Some of the stolen material was allegedly sold through websites operated or affiliated with members of the conspiracy, transforming stolen academic resources into a profitable underground enterprise. Beyond universities, the defendants allegedly compromised employee email accounts at at least 42 US-based private companies, 11 foreign companies, and several government agencies and non-governmental organisations.
The alleged hacking campaign extended beyond academic institutions to include several high-profile government and non-governmental organisations. The Justice Department identified the following entities as among those targeted: the US Department of Labor, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the states of Hawaii and Indiana, the United Nations, and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). The superseding indictment also alleges that members of the group targeted HBO and were involved in hacking private companies and government entities, causing victims to incur more than $20 million in investigation and remediation costs.
A central element of the indictment is the alleged connection between the Mabna Institute and Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). The Justice Department alleged that many of the cyber intrusions were conducted on behalf of the IRGC and other Iranian government and university clients. The Mabna Institute was founded around 2013 by Gholamreza Rafatnejad and Ehsan Mohammadi, according to the Justice Department. The organisation allegedly assisted Iranian universities and research institutions in obtaining unauthorised access to scientific resources outside Iran while also providing hacking services to Iranian government and private entities.
This mirrors actions taken by the US Treasury Department in March 2018, when it announced sanctions against the Mabna Institute and 10 individuals, stating that the group had been acting at the behest of the IRGC. The Treasury Department had also noted that one of the hackers involved had attempted to extort $6 million from a US media company and was previously indicted in November 2017, demonstrating a pattern of aggressive cyber-operations and financial extortion.
The US Department of State’s Rewards for Justice programme is offering up to $10 million for information leading to the location of five of the defendants: Behzad Mesri, Mojtaba Galekuhi, Arman Kahzadian, Keyvan Fayaz, and Saber Shahbazi Ballojeh. This substantial reward reflects the seriousness with which US authorities view these alleged cyber-operations and their commitment to bringing the perpetrators to justice.
The case highlights the persistent challenge of state-sponsored cyber-operations and the ongoing efforts by US authorities to hold perpetrators accountable through legal and financial measures. With the charged individuals believed to be outside the United States and no extradition treaty with Iran, their apprehension remains uncertain. However, the US continues to pursue international cooperation and legal avenues to bring them to justice, signalling that such cyber-operations will not go unanswered.
US indicts 17 Iranians over $20m cyber-theft campaign targeting 322 global institutions
![]()
-
Insurance2 days agoNAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
-
metro3 days agoPalliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
-
Education3 days agoWAEC 2026 results: Schools raise alarm over alleged grading anomalies
-
metro3 days agoLagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Entertainment3 days agoVeteran Nollywood Actor Ogogo Battles Stage-4 Cancer as Daughters Beg for Treatment
-
Politics2 days ago‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
-
Politics3 days agoOsun guber: APC rejects Adeleke’s victory, begins audit of INEC results
-
metro3 days agoOver 50 Killed, Scores Injured as Gunmen Attack Mangu Communities in Plateau
