Connect with us

News

Buhari, Lawan, Tinubu greet new emir of Zauzau

Published

on

Buhari, Lawan, Tinubu greet new emir of Zauzau

President Muhammadu Buhari has congratulated the new Emir of Zazzau, Alhaji Ahmed Nuhu Bamalli, and advised him to be leader of all.

Governor Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna State on Wednesday had named Bamalli as the19th Emir of Zazzau.

Bamali succeeded Alhaji Shehu Idris, who died Sunday, September 20, 2020.

Bamalli’s emergence followed the cancellation of the selection process following some alleged irregularities and exclusion of some qualified aspirants from the process.

Bamalli was one of the three contenders initially nominated for the post.

The President in a statement said, “I congratulate you on making history by becoming the first emir from the Mallawa ruling house in 100 years. You deserve the appointment and I am confident you will justify the confidence reposed in you.

“While you bask in the glory of the moment, I want you to be the leader to all and treat all your people fairly in the performance of your duties.

“This is a challenging moment and, therefore, I want you to use this opportunity to unite all members of the ruling houses for the interest of your people.”

He prayed to Allah to grant him the wisdom and guidance needed to discharge his duties.

Also,  Senate President Ahmad Lawan in a statement described Bamalli’s appointment as well-deserved and expressed hope that “the new Emir will meet the high expectations of the revered office and justify the trust and confidence that his people have expressed in his character and ability through his selection and appointment.”

He commended the state government and the Zazzau Emirate for the peaceful and smooth transition after the exit of their 18th emir.

National Leader All Progressives Congress (APC) Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Asiwaju, also commended Governor el-Rufai on Bamali’s choice.

Tinubu said, “Ambassador Nuhu Bamalli is a prominent diplomat, tested administrator and a first class traditional title-holder. I congratulate him on his appointment as the 19th Emir of Zazzau.

“My congratulations also go to Governor Nasir el-Rufai for making a prudent appointment.

“As Magajin Garin Zazzau, Ambassador Bamalli distinguished himself as an excellent high chief of the Zazzau Emirate, just as he performed brilliantly well as top diplomat, serving Nigeria as Ambassador to Thailand.

“Like his immediate-past predecessor, Alhaji Shehu Idris, who died last month after 45 years on the throne, Ambassador Bamalli is also a highly detribalised Nigerian and a friend of all. I urge him to continue in that fashion and consolidate on the tremendous gains recorded by the late Emir.”

A frontline contender for the royal seat, Malam Munir Ja’afaru, has accepted the choice of Bamalli as emir and has congratulated the monarch.

Ja’afaru said, “It is with deep sense of gratitude to Almighty SWT that I learnt of the appointment of Magajin Garin Zazzau, Ambassador Ahmed Nuhu Bamalli as the new Emir of Zazzau by Governor Nasir Ahmed el Rufai.”

“May Allah SWT guide, lead and direct his actions on the throne, and usher in peace and prosperity,” the prince said.

A statement from the state government said Governor el-Rufai congratulated the new monarch on his appointment and wished him a peaceful reign.

It stated, “Until his appointment as Emir of Zazzau, Alhaji Ahmed Nuhu Bamalli held the title of Magajin Garin Zazzau and served as Nigeria’s ambassador to Thailand, with concurrent accreditation to Myanmar. He has been a permanent commissioner in the Kaduna State Independent Electoral Commission in 2015.”

It also said the new emir had worked in the banking sector as executive director, and later acting managing director of the Nigerian Security Printing and Minting Corporation (NSPMC).

“He was a staff of the Abuja Metropolitan Management Agency before a stint as head of Human Resources at MTel, the mobile communications arm of the old Nigerian Telecommunications Limited (NITEL).

“Alhaji Ahmed Nuhu Bamalli studied law at the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria and holds a master’s degree in international relations and diplomacy and a diploma in organisational leadership from Oxford University. He is also a fellow on Conflict Resolution of the University of York, United Kingdom (UK),” it said.

Ambassador Bamalli is a direct descendant of Malam Musa Bamalli, the flag bearer and first Fulani Emir of Zazzau, who ruled from 1804 to 1821.

His father, Nuhu Bamalli, held the position of Magajin Gari (the second most important princely title in the Zazzau Emirate) for 40 years.

Malam Ahmad Nuhu Bamalli acted in the capacity of Magajin Gari, representing his father in public functions for 20 years. He was appointed to the position in 2001, following his father’s death.

He is a direct descendant of the Islamic scholar and founder of the Fulani Empire, Usman Danfodio, from his mother’s side.

His mother is the daughter of Abdulrahman Dikko, and the great granddaughter of Sultan Aliyu Babba and Sultan Muhammadu Bello, as well as Shehu Usman Danfodio.

News

Some public servants earn more salary than the president – RMAFC boss

Published

on

Mohammed Shehu, chairman, Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC)

Mohammed Shehu, chairman, Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC), says some political appointees earn more salary than President Muhammadu Buhari.

Shehu disclosed this during an interview on Channels Television on Thursday.

The RMAFC boss, who spoke on the commission’s plan to review judicial and political holders’ salaries, said some officials of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) and Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) collect salaries higher than the president.

He said the country needs to review allocations as some agencies remit less revenue. 

“The severance package of the president is just N10.5 million. This is after the president leaves office. You can imagine after spending four or eight years, that would be the only take-home. The salary of Mr President is not up to N1.3 million a month,” he said.

READ ALSO:

“There are people in the private sector and others in other public sectors that earn twice, three times or four times. No public servant should earn a salary bigger than Mr President. But we do have public servants that earn salaries bigger than Mr President, such as in the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), etc.

“My argument has always been that no public servant should earn allowances, severances, or salaries larger than the president of the federal republic of Nigeria, and I stand by it.”

Speaking further on how salaries would be reviewed, especially on current realities, Shehu said salary review would go through processes.

He, however, added that salaries may be reviewed upward after going through due processes.

“When you do a review, the takeoff point is not immediate. And this is a process that has to go to the president and then to the national assembly, and then it becomes a law,” he added.

“I can not tell you whether we can afford it or not, but what I can tell you is there are unremitted revenues out there, probably estimated from N6 trillion to N7 trillion that should be remitted to the federation account.

The Cable

Continue Reading

News

Buckingham Palace aide resigns over racist comments

Published

on

A Buckingham Palace aide has resigned and tendered an apology over racist comments reportedly made to a black British guest at a reception hosted by the Queen Consort.

Ngozi Fulani, the founder of a charity supporting victims of domestic abuse, alleged that she was repeatedly asked by a royal aide at a Palace function where she was “really from” in Africa.

The palace said it was taking the incident “extremely seriously”.

An eyewitness to the conversation, Mandu Reid, confirmed the account and told the BBC the questions put to Ms Fulani were “offensive, racist and unwelcoming”.

Reid said she had a “sense of incredulity” about the exchange with a member of the Royal Household, in which Ms Fulani was “interrogated” about where she was from – even though she had explained she was born and lived in the UK.

Ms Fulani is the founder of the London-based charity Sistah Space, which supports black women who have faced domestic and sexual abuse.

Along with 300 guests, she had been invited to a high-profile reception at the Palace on Tuesday, where the Queen Consort, Camilla, had warned of a “global pandemic of violence against women”.

But after the event, Ms Fulani described her conversation on Twitter, where she was challenged by a royal aide to explain where she was from.

She recounted how she said: “We’re based in Hackney,” and the aide replied: “No, what part of Africa are you from?”

She said, “I don’t know, they didn’t leave any records”, and the Palace member responded, “Well you must know where you’re from, I spent time in France. Where are you from? Here, UK.”

“No, but what nationality are you?”

“I am born here and am British.”

“No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?”

She said that members of the Royal Household were circulating at the reception and making “chit chat” – but she said it became a “really unpleasant interaction”, when despite Ms Fulani’s replies there was an insistent questioning about her background.

Ms Reid said they were “stunned into silence” afterwards and says that Ms Fulani should receive an apology and those working for the palace should receive training.

Both Ms Reid and Sistah Space have decided not to name the royal aide believed to be involved.

Palace reacts

In response, Buckingham Palace said, “We take this incident extremely seriously and have investigated immediately to establish the full details.

“In this instance, unacceptable and deeply regrettable comments have been made.

“We have reached out to Ngozi Fulani on this matter, and are inviting her to discuss all elements of her experience in person if she wishes.

“In the meantime, the individual concerned would like to express her profound apologies for the hurt caused and has stepped aside from her honorary role with immediate effect.

“All members of the household are being reminded of the diversity and inclusivity policies which they are required to uphold at all times.”

Continue Reading

News

Adeleke denies sacking workers, monarchs

Published

on

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has denied making executive orders to sack traditional rulers and workers in the state.

He said he only set up a review panel and nobody has been sacked.

His Chief Press Secretary, Olawale Rasheed, who in spoke Rave FM in Osogbo, said executive order one to five shows the intentions of the administration to review, nullify, and set aside while the instrumentality to effect the orders was order six which is the composition of the panel.

He said: “There was never sack of any worker or traditional ruler. We only set up a review panel. It is impossible to sack and put a review panel in place.

“The review panel is to look at the numbers of the people that were employed, due processes of the employment, and qualification among other things.

READ ALSO:

“Before our taking over, there were issues of backdating of employment, even till last year. So, order 1-5 will be operationalised by order 6 which are the panels.

“Those that were employed from July 17 till our takeover are still at work presently, they have not been sacked. The staff audit will review the employment.”

However, a statement by Rasheed said the governor has approved the dissolution of all non-statutory boards in the state with immediate effect.

“As a follow-up to the pronouncement of Governor Adeleke, on Sunday, November 27, 2022, all non-statutory boards, commissions and parastatals, including those of tertiary institutions (with exception of UNIOSUN) are hereby dissolved in the state, forthwith.

“Consequently, all accounting officers of such boards, parastatals and commissions are to take charge with immediate effect.”

Sun

Continue Reading

Trending