metro

Court Approves Email Service on Tonto Dikeh in ₦200m Fundamental Rights Suit

Court Approves Email Service on Tonto Dikeh in ₦200m Fundamental Rights Suit

A Federal Capital Territory High Court has granted permission for substituted service of court documents via email on Nollywood actress Tonto Dikeh in a ₦200 million fundamental rights suit arising from an alleged exorcism involving a minor.

The case was filed by human rights lawyer Barrister Ikechukwu Obasi on behalf of a Junior Secondary School 1 pupil from Durumi II in Abuja, originally from Rivers State. The suit alleges that the actress subjected the child to degrading treatment during a religious deliverance session on March 6, 2026.

According to court filings, the incident was captured in a video and photographs that were later shared on the actress’s Facebook page. The plaintiff claims the child was placed on bare ground and pressed against a rough surface, resulting in public humiliation, stigma, psychological trauma, and a violation of her rights to dignity and privacy under the 1999 Constitution and the Child Rights Act 2003.

READ ALSO:

The matter is being heard at High Court No. 3 in Maitama before Justice Maryann E. Anenih. During proceedings on Tuesday, the court granted the application for substituted service after it was established that personal service on the defendant had not been successful.

The court ordered that all relevant court documents may now be served on the defendant through two verified email addresses or by publication in a national newspaper, ensuring that the case can proceed without further delay.

Counsel C.E. Okoro informed the court that attempts to serve the actress personally had been unsuccessful. Justice Anenih held that sufficient grounds had been established and approved the application for alternative service.

The suit was filed in March under the Fundamental Rights (Enforcement Procedure) Rules 2009, with an ex parte motion for substituted service submitted on March 31.

The case has now been adjourned for hearing on May 11, 2026, when the court is expected to consider the substantive issues in the matter.

Court Approves Email Service on Tonto Dikeh in ₦200m Fundamental Rights Suit

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

2027: South-East Leaders Clash Over Igbo Presidency Feasibility

2027: South-East Leaders Clash Over Igbo Presidency Feasibility As the 2027 presidential election draws closer,…

3 hours ago

Donald Duke Recounts How IBB Warned Obasanjo About Atiku: ‘This One Cannot Rule Nigeria’

Donald Duke Recounts How IBB Warned Obasanjo About Atiku: 'This One Cannot Rule Nigeria' Former…

3 hours ago

2027: Senator Saliu Mustapha quits APC after losing Kwara governorship ticket

2027: Senator Saliu Mustapha quits APC after losing Kwara governorship ticket Senator Saliu Mustapha, representing…

3 hours ago

2027 Election: NDC Tells Atiku to Step Aside, Support Peter Obi to Remove Tinubu

2027 Election: NDC Tells Atiku to Step Aside, Support Peter Obi to Remove Tinubu The…

3 hours ago

Delta Governor Reveals ₦503,000 Monthly Salary, Says Permanent Secretaries Earn ₦900,000

Delta Governor Reveals ₦503,000 Monthly Salary, Says Permanent Secretaries Earn ₦900,000 Asaba, Delta State –…

4 hours ago

Okocha Ignites Fresh GOAT Debate: Nigerian Legend Says Messi Is ‘Art,’ Ronaldo Is ‘Goalscorer Like Haaland’

Okocha Ignites Fresh GOAT Debate: Nigerian Legend Says Messi Is 'Art,' Ronaldo Is 'Goalscorer Like…

5 hours ago