Don’t give loans to Delta State govt, Deputy Senate President warns bank
The Delta State governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Deputy Senate President Ovie Omo-Agege, has urged Fidelity Bank to halt discussions with the state government over a N40 billion loan facility.
Omo-Agege said what Governor Ifeanyi Okowa should do now is to prepare his handover note.
He said: “It is, therefore, unacceptable for the governor and his agents to, on behalf of the state, approach your bank, on their knees, effusively begging for another loan. Please, ignore their entreaties and walk away from the negotiations.”
- Man arraigned for alleged rape of six-year-old
- Agbakoba tackles EFCC, insists it cannot prosecute state govt matters
- NFIU stops cash withdrawal from all govt accounts March 1
Omo-Agege said the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is strapped for cash and desperately gasping for financial breath.
He added: “The governor has no intention of continuing with any ongoing projects. He has long abandoned such noble intentions.
“The impoverished people of Delta State are very tired of the Dr. Okowa-led government and cannot wait to surprise him with an outright rejection of his vice presidential bid and that of his surrogate governorship candidate of the PDP, with their ballots in the ensuing weeks.
“In my traverse across all nooks and cranny of our beloved Delta State, I have not chanced upon a mega project to which anyone can say substantial funds were committed.
“I was always moved to tears wherever I went and saw the wretchedness of the people he took oath to protect and provide for. Wherever I went, I saw suffering and denial, and was forced to ask where all our monies went.
“Records of federal remittances to the state and internally generated revenue (IGR) available to the public revealed that over N3.5 trillion had accrued to Delta over a period of seven years. And the governor, breathing over the neck of a gullible rubber stamp State House of Assembly, like Dickson’s Uriah Heep, has made the House approve loans climbing over N600 billion…”
FG fixes census for May 3-5
The Federal Government says the 2023 National Population and Housing Census will commence on May 3.
A member of the Publicity and Advocacy Committee on the 2023 National Population and Housing Census, Dr Garba Abari, confirmed this on Sunday in Abuja when he appeared on the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Forum.
He said that the three-day exercise would commence on May 3 and end on May 5 across the country.
Abari, who is the Director-General, National Orientation Agency (NOA), explained that the census exercise would capture every person, household and structure for national planning and project execution purposes.
According to him, the change in the date was due to the postponement of the 2023 governorship and state houses of assembly elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
“That change by INEC made it mandatory for us to also adjust the date for the conduct of the exercise,” he said.
He described the census and the 2023 elections as major national events with significant importance which had earlier been planned to hold not too far away from each other.
The census had to be put forward from the initial date of March 29 to April 2nd, now to May 3 to May 5.
“There are two things that informed the shift in date. First, in the course of our planning by the National Population Commission, it was so factored that INEC will also tinker with its own electoral timetable.
“The gubernatorial election, as you are aware, had to be shifted by one week. This had a telling effect on the date of commencement of the census.
“Just like election, the Census is also a very long process, from the training, the sub-trainings, retraining leading up till the very day of the actual house listing and numbering.
“These will then be followed by the actual capture of the population.”
On the level of preparedness, the NOA boss assured the nation that the National Population Commission was ready to embark on the exercise.
Ex-Chief of General Staff Oladipo Diya dies at 79
Former Chief of General Staff under the late General Sani Abacha, Lt. General Oladipo Diya (retd), is dead.
Diya reportedly died on Sunday morning in Lagos from a protracted illness. He was aged 79.
A short statement released by one of his children, Prince Oyesinmilola Diya, confirmed the death of the former military leader.
The statement read, “On behalf of the entire Diya family, home and abroad, we announce the passing on to glory of our dear husband, father, grandfather, brother, Lt- General Donaldson Oladipo Oyeyinka Diya (Retd) GCON, LLB, BL, PSC, FSS, mni.
“Our dear daddy passed onto glory in the early hours of 26th March, 2023.
“Please keep us in your prayers as we mourn his demise in this period. Further announcements will be made public in due course.
“Barrister Prince Oyesinmilola Diya, on behalf of the family.”
His demise came about two years after he lost his second wife, Deborah Folashade Diya, at the age of 66.
Born in April 3, 1944, Diya was military Governor of Ogun State after the Buhari/Idiagbon coup of December 31, 1983.
He joined the Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna and fought during the Nigerian Civil War.
He later attended the US Army School of Infantry, the Command and Staff College, Jaji (1980–1981) and the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru.
While serving in the military, Diya studied law at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, where he obtained an LLB degree, and then at the Nigerian Law School, where he was called to bar as Solicitor and Advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
He held other top military positions such as GOC, 82 Division and finally the Chief of General Staff (military Vice President) to Gen Sani Abacha.
He was the CGS when he was arrested for planning a coup to unseat Abacha.
He was thereafter condemned to death by firing squad along with Maj.-Gen Abdulkarim Adisa on April 28 1998.
The death sentence was commuted to 25 years in jail. When Abacha died, Diya and others were later released.
We will not tolerate anarchy – DSS
The Department of State Service (DSS) says it will take measures to check groups and individuals making inciting statements that can lead to anarchy.
It said this in a statement signed by its spokesman, Peter Afunanya.
The DSS warned people against taking the laws into their hands and championing anarchy.
The statement read in part, “It would be recalled that the service had earlier advised political players to abide by the rules of engagement as well as approach the courts for redress, if and where there are suspicions of infractions on extant electoral laws.
“It is evident that some aggrieved politicians are already taking advantage of this legal process. This, without a doubt, is the beauty of democracy. It is strongly believed that this approach enhances peace and security. All and sundry should cherish it.
“Be that as it may, the DSS will not tolerate a situation where persons and/or groups take laws into their hands and champion anarchy. Those peddling fake news, hate speech, and all forms of false narratives as a basis to ignite violence or pit the people against the present or incoming administrations, at the Federal, State, and Parliamentary levels, should stop forthwith.
“Those inciting violence have nothing to gain as doing so will not only consume them but also the innocent. It is otherwise disturbing to see respected personalities use their platforms to mislead or incite citizens. This, to say the least, does not augur well for peaceful coexistence and general order.”
The DSS added that it would continue to take necessary measures “to checkmate these elements who do not wish the country well.”
PDP crisis worsens as Benue ward suspends national chairman Ayu
UK says Lagos, Onitsha, P’Harcourt should be cosmopolitan cities
FG fixes census for May 3-5
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
Politics7 days ago
BREAKING: NNPP wins Kano guber election
metro4 days ago
BREAKING: NLC directs workers to shut down CBN offices nationwide
metro1 day ago
Updated: Court dismisses PDP suit seeking Tinubu, Shettima’s disqualification
News6 days ago
Ramadan: Sultan urges Muslims to look out for new moon on Wednesday
metro5 days ago
Grandmother sets son, wife, two grandchildren ablaze in Ondo
metro7 days ago
House of Assembly member, 163 others arrested over attempt to destroy Kano INEC office
Politics6 days ago
Wike’s anointed candidate, Siminialayi Fubara, declared Rivers governor-elect
metro7 days ago
Bandits kill chief’s wife after N2m ransom in Kaduna