Categories: Politics

Ekiti gov poll holds today, police withdraw personnel attached to VIPs, embark on aerial surveillance

The Nigeria Police says it will deal with any electoral offenders during the conduct of the governorship election holding today (Saturday).

Deputy Inspector General of Police, Babatunde Kokumo, in charge of the Ekiti election, said this when he visited the Ekiti Resident Electoral Commissioner, Rec, Dr Adeniran Rahmon.

 

Kokumo said the Force had imposed restriction of movement in and out of the state from the hours of 11:59am on Friday, adding that a strong security arrangement had been put in place to ensure a transparent poll in the state.

Already, the police have embarked on an aerial patrol of Ado Ekiti, the state capital, as part of its confidence building measures.

It has ordered the withdrawal of its personnel attached to the governorship candidates and VIPs during the election.

Kokumo said, “The security arrangement was being carried out in collaboration with sister security agencies.”

He appealed to Ekiti residents to cooperate with security agencies in itheir efforts to prevent the incursion of criminal elements into the state.

Kokumo also said that the restriction of movement was to prevent incursion of criminals into the state.

He urged travellers and commuters hoping to move through the State to seek alternative routes.

He said that “it would help security agencies prevent flow of illicit drugs and illegal arms into the said.

The DIG also announced the withdrawal of police personnel attached to candidates contesting in the election and other VIPs in the state.

Kokumo warned that policemen found with VIPs or candidates during the conduct of the election would face severe penalties.

He appealed to all accredited observers to observe all rules guiding their deployment for the exercise.

He said, “We are here to interface and familiarise with your office. We want to let you know that healthy and robust security arrangements have been put in place.

“This exercise is not going to be a permanent arrangement. We urged the public to bear with us.

“We ask them to bear with our men who are checking for arms and ammunition.

“We are ready for the assignment. Other security agencies are ready for the assignment.

“We are leaving no stone unturned to make sure there is adequate security for INEC and the citizens of Ekiti State.

“Our men should look out for electoral offenders. Any infraction of the electoral act will be frowned upon.

“Offenders will be arrested and followed up with prosecution. We will work with you to ensure a credible Ekiti gubernatorial election.”

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

South Korea Former President Park Geun-hye Jailed for Life Over Martial Law Attempt

South Korea Former President Park Geun-hye Jailed for Life Over Martial Law Attempt Former South…

13 minutes ago

Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano

Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano Officials of the Kano…

24 minutes ago

Ondo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North

Ondo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North Oba Kehinde Falodun, the traditional ruler of…

30 minutes ago

LP Crisis Deepens as Abure Faction Rejects Otti’s Reconciliation Call

LP Crisis Deepens as Abure Faction Rejects Otti’s Reconciliation Call The leadership crisis rocking the…

38 minutes ago

Rivers Assembly Halts Impeachment Proceedings Against Gov Fubara

Rivers Assembly Halts Impeachment Proceedings Against Gov Fubara The Rivers State House of Assembly has…

50 minutes ago

PDP Chairmanship Candidate Withdraws, Backs APC Ishaku in FCT Polls

PDP Chairmanship Candidate Withdraws, Backs APC Ishaku in FCT Polls In a dramatic political realignment…

6 hours ago