The Ekiti State Government has said it intends to produce of over one million metrics tonnes of rice in a couple of years.
Ekiti State Commissioner for Agriculture and Food Security, Mr Olabode Adetoyi, disclosed this in Ado Ekiti at a news conference ahead of the official launch of the ” Ekiti Rice Pyramid Project” and flag off of the 2021 Wet Season Rice Cultivation, scheduled for Tuesday.
He said the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr Godwin Emefiele, would perform the inauguration of the rice pyramid project while Governor Kayode Fayemi would be the chief host.
The commissioner said the state was embarking on massive production of rice so as to be able to meet both local demand and for export.
He explained that the state government had brought in investors, who were ready to invest in planting and processing of rice, adding that the product would be of high standards and stone free.
Adetoyi added that the state government was working assiduously towards ensuring that youths ventured into farming by making it more attractive and lucrative, through various agricultural incentives
He assured farmers in the state that the government would not fail in providing adequate security for them to enable them go to their farms anytime without entertaining fears
Adetoyi disclosed that 23 new investors had already been allocated lands to plant rice, cocoa and palm oil, among others, as the government was doing all to attract investors through provision of enabling environment.
He said, “Top-notch rice processing plant like Stallion, Dangote and Jumlar rice have been allocated land in premium location in Ekiti Knowledge Zone for quality rice production.
“Land clearing and development of over 5,000 hectares of land for commercial agriculture is also on, out of which 1,000 is cleared for swampy rice along the river banks and valleys in the state. Over 40,000 hectares is to be made available as time goes on.”
The commissioner said that the Federal Government under President Muhammadu Buhari had conceived the Anchor Borrowers Programme under the CBN to provide easy access to credit for farmers and processors at low interest rate, among others.
He added that the government of Japan had brought in some equipment such as harvesters to provide high quality rice production in the state.
Adetoyi warned people in the habit of setting fire to bushes while hunting game to desist from such acts to avoid causing damage to peoples’ farms.
According to him, some farms have been destroyed in the process.
The commissioner said that government had approved money to buy seedlings that would be distributed to those farmers who lost their farms in such preventable fire incidences.
UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board…
NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London The Nigerian National Petroleum Company…
FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges The Nigeria Civil…
ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election The African…
Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers United States President, Donald Trump,…
Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare Nigerian TikTok sensation and…