Connect with us

News

#EndSARS: Fresh showdown looms as youths insist on Monday protests

Published

on

  • Use force on protesters – IGP
  • We’ll crush act of violence – Lagos Police
  • Heed police warning or face the law – LASG

Another orgy of violence may be unleash on the nation on Monday with many youths sympathetic to the #EndSARS ideology threatening to embark on fresh protests in Lagos and Abuja from Monday (November 09, 2020) over the what they consider as government’s clampdown on leaders of the movement.

They vowed to return to the streets for a second wave of the #EndSARS protest, adding that no amount of intimidation by the government or security agencies would stop their demonstration.

Some prominent members of the #EndSARS campaign had their bank accounts frozen by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Friday, just as some were said to have been stopped from travelling out of the country.

As a teaser, the youth representatives on the Lagos panel investigating alleged police brutality and recent shooting of Lekki protesters boycotted the panel’s proceedings on Saturday, an action that made the team to suspending the day’s sitting.

A Federal High Court judge had ordered the bank accounts of some youth leaders to be frozen for a period of 90 days, pending the outcome of investigation and inquiry currently being conducted by the apex bank.

Many of those affected were said to be prominent during last month’s nationwide protest, which attracted global attention.

An activist, Aisha Yesufu, said, “The CBN did not block the account of the numerous SARS officers that were alleged to have extorted money from the citizens at gunpoint, forcing them to transfer money to their accounts but it blocked the account of those who protested the extortion and killings by SARS officers.”

The Lagos State Police Command has vowed to resist any form of planned protest or gathering in the state, warning that the government and people were still nurturing the wounds of the recent Endsars violence.

The state police command has the full backing of the Inspector General of Police, Adamu Mohammed, who has ordered the police across the country to use force to quell any form of violence or attack by any group or individuals.

Lagos Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, said in a statement, “The command wishes to inform the general public that based on intelligence gathering from relevant intelligence agencies, some unpatrioric elements or group of people have concluded plans to orchestrate another set of violence in the state in furtherance to the recent Endsars violence, which has been analysed as dangerous and counterproductive.

“Premised on this, the command, therefore, wishes to warn any individuals, group of students or any groups who might want to stage any form of protest, either ‘peaceful’ or violent, or gathering whatsoever, to desist as the police and other security agencies will collectively and tactically resist any security threats or threats to public peace which might be triggered by protest or protesters in Lagos State.

“The police command, emphatically, warns parents and guardians to discourage their children or wards from embarking on any protest in the state as the possibility of hijacking it by armed hoodlums to cause grief and pains like the recent past is evident.”

Lagos State Government asked #EndSARS protesters to heed the warning of the police or be ready to face the consequences of disobedience.

In a statement on Friday, the state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, said, “Any person or group of persons who plans to fuel any crisis in Lagos should drop such thoughts or be ready to face the law.”

He urged anyone who had grievance against the police to approach the judicial panel of inquiry.

According to him, the state is “battling to recover from the shock of the carnage unleashed by hoodlums who hid under the #EndSARS protests.”

“Even as we are still counting our painful losses in lives and property, there are hints of a new protest. The police have warned that no protest will be tolerated,” he said.

Omotoso also said, “Any protest under any guise will be disrespectful to the memory of those who died in the violence and unfair to ordinary Lagosians, who have remained peaceful, despite the hardship that the original protests sparked.

“It is clear that the original protests, despite their good intentions, have caused more havoc than they were planned to resolve.

“The government hereby appeals to our patriotic youths to shelve any plan for a protest and join the practical efforts to find a solution to the problems that have been thrown up by the actions taken in recent weeks.

“Anybody who has any grievance against the disbanded SARS should approach the Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution to make his case.”

News

Updated: Postpone visit to Kano, Ganduje advises Buhari over fuel, new naira anger

Published

on

Abdullahi Ganduje and Muhammadu Buhari

Governor of Kano State, Abdulahi Ganduje, has made a request to President Muhammadu Buhari to put on hold his planned visit to the state.
Ganduje’s reason, according to a statement by his media aide, Abba Anwar, is to avert possible embarrassing breakdown of law and order by the ordinary citizens over the complications arising from the fuel scarcity and scarcity of the newly redesigned naira.

Ganduje was quoted to have stated this before some professionals who visited him at the Government House on Friday.

He was quoted as telling his visitors, “As we are waiting for this important visit, we find ourselves in this situation, which puts citizens into untold hardship. For security purposes, we wrote to the Presidency that President Muhammadu Buhari’s visit to Kano be postponed.

READ ALSO:

“We got an acknowledgement copy of the letter. People are really suffering because of this policy.”

Among the visitors were said to be two serving senators from the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Barau Jibrin and Kabiru Gaya, 20 members of the House of Representatives and 30 legislators from the State House of Assembly.

The governor quoted as saying that it has become difficult to transact businesses even with the Point of Sale (POS).
The situation is said to have led to many traders closing their businesses.

“This problem affects all of us.Therefore, our voice must be heard in all nooks and crannies. We are a commercial hub. As such, our position must be loud and clear,” Ganduje said.

The governor also reportedly called for an extension of the deadline for returning old naira notes.

“There are no banks in most of our rural communities. How these people get new naira notes is of great concern. Just look at what is happening in our urban areas; people go and spend hours upon hours in banks without any assurances of getting the new notes,” Ganduje lamented.

Continue Reading

News

I’m alive by God’s grace, I saw many colleagues during civil war fall before me – Buhari

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has recounted a part of experience during the civil war in which he saw many people including his colleagues die right before him.

He also revealed how he ran away from home to join the Nigerian army to escape family pressure of getting married.

The President revealed this during a visit to the Emir of Daura, Faruk Faruk, after inaugurating two roads in Katsina State.

A presidential aide, Femi Adesina, highlighted Buhari’s narrative of his battle during the Nigerian Civil War and some personal challenges faced as told by the President duy the visit.

The statement read, “President Buhari said that he secured his first job early after school to manage a co-operative in Daura, but had to escape and join the army when there was pressure that he should get married.

“I told Governor Aminu Masari the story of how I left Daura to join the army. That was how God planned it. We make choices in life, but eventually destiny is before God.

“I was at the war front during the civil war, and saw how many died. Some fell right beside me. God kept me.

“Many bridges were blown just before we arrived at some places, and after we crossed. I arrived at some places to see bodies of my own colleagues that we were fighting together. I am alive today only by God’s grace.

“This opportunity to serve the nation comes from God. All over the world, Nigeria is known for its diversity, with different religions and cultures.

“We are also known because we have a huge population of millions of people. For the President of Nigeria, at this time, to come from Daura is the grace and mercy of God.”

Buhari also told the emirate that he would return and settle in Daura after handing over on May 29, 2023.

Continue Reading

News

Alabi remains Lagos CP, no new commissioner appointed – PPRO

Published

on

Lagos Police Command says no new police commissioner has been appointed for the state.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Benjamin Hundeyin, disclosed this in a statement, in reaction to reports that a new CP had taken over the command.

According to him, the command has been inundated with requests for clarification on the status of the commissioner of police in the state.

“We wish to state categorically that the Commissioner of Police in Lagos State is still CP Abiodun Alabi,” he stated.

“For the avoidance of doubt, no Commissioner of Police has been posted to Lagos State. Members of the public are therefore urged to disregard fake news making the rounds that a new Commissioner of Police has been deployed to Lagos State Police Command.

“It is hoped that this clarification would halt the barrage of calls to officers of the command which has resulted in needless distraction and waste of valuable time.

“The Lagos State Police Command will keep residents and the good people of the state updated whenever the need arises.”

Continue Reading

Trending