Supreme Court
FCT Polls: S’Court, A’Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities
The Supreme Court of Nigeria and the Court of Appeal Nigeria on Friday continued judicial activities despite a public holiday declared by FCT Minister Nyesom Wike ahead of the FCT Area Council elections in Abuja.
At the apex court, Justices heard cases earlier fixed for hearing, while panels of the Court of Appeal delivered rulings and judgments in several matters, including commercial and contract disputes. Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs) and other lawyers were present in court, underscoring the independence of the judiciary despite the declared holiday.
In contrast, judicial activities at lower courts in the FCT were largely paralysed. The FCT High Court fully complied with the public holiday directive and shut down operations. Meanwhile, courtrooms at the Federal High Court near the Ministry of Justice headquarters were opened, but no judges sat, leaving matters unattended.
READ ALSO:
Wike had earlier declared Friday a work-free day in the Federal Capital Territory to allow residents participate in the Area Council elections scheduled for Saturday. The declaration was accompanied by a restriction of movement, which authorities said was aimed at ensuring security and orderly conduct of the polls.
However, the decision triggered strong criticism from civil society organisations, who described it as arbitrary, disruptive and lacking legal precedent. The Policy and Legal Advocacy Centre (PLAC) said no clear legal or administrative justification was provided for what it termed a sweeping shutdown of Abuja.
In a statement signed by PLAC Executive Director Clement Nwankwo, the organisation acknowledged that encouraging voter participation is legitimate but stressed that governance actions must remain lawful, proportionate and consultative.
PLAC added that the sudden public holiday disrupted businesses, schools and workplaces across the FCT, affecting students, workers and entrepreneurs, and creating what it described as avoidable anxiety rather than confidence in the electoral process.
The development has renewed debate over the limits of executive authority, the autonomy of the judiciary, and the need for transparent decision-making during elections in Nigeria.
Tinubu must address rising mass massacres now, By Farooq Kperogi Recent events show a widening…
Man Arrested for Slitting Wife’s Throat During Farm Argument A tragedy occurred in Amaji Village,…
Armed Bandits Kill 30, Kidnap Villagers in Zamfara Attack At least 30 people have been…
Agege Council Announces Free 3kg Cooking Gas Refill for 4,000 Residents The Chairman of Agege…
Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder President Bola Tinubu has summoned Ondo…
UniAbuja Student Sadiya Usman Found Safe After Two Days Missing The University of Abuja (UniAbuja)…