Categories: News

Fears rise as COVID Delta variant hits five states, FCT

There are mounting fears over fresh spread of COVID-19 in Nigeria as the Delta variant hits five states and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
The variant was first reported in Nigeria on July 8 and has been found to increased infection rates in many countries. countries.
Boss Mustapha, Secretary to the Government of the Federation and chairman of the presidential steering committee on COVID-19, gave the indication at a media briefing.
He expressed concern over the rising cases count, noting that the country’s test positivity ratio had also increased to about six per cent.
He urged Nigerians to ensure strict adherence to the safety protocol.
Mustapha said the PSC had been meeting to deliberate on the rising number of COVID-19 cases and proffer ways to prevent the spread of infections.
“The world has added about four million cases and under 100,000 deaths in the last one week. All countries in the West African region are beginning to see the third wave, while Nigeria is recording about 500 cases daily in the last seven days. Our test positivity ratio has increased to about six per cent. This is worrisome and shows that we are not out of the woods yet,” he said.
“It is no more news that the Delta variant has made its way into Nigeria. The PSC is particularly concerned about the situation in Lagos, Akwa Ibom, Oyo, Rivers, FCT and Plateau states as this variant has made way into these states and accounts for the rising cases in these states and across the nation. Lagos alone accounts for over 50 percent of the number of cases.
“This development calls for great caution because the virus is very virulent and raging in so many other countries. We must therefore keep observing the NPIs and also ensure that we get vaccinated. Vaccination prevents severe cases and reduces hospitalisation and deaths, but does not eliminate contacting it, hence the need to religiously observe the NPIs.
“We need to test more and detect early enough, so that people who have contacted this virus can be treated early.”
He added that the details of 500 travellers, who violated the travel protocol, would soon be made public.
“The PSC is ready to publish over 500 travellers who violated the travel protocol and those who evaded quarantine this week. Similarly, those who had their passports barred for six months will be lifted in the coming days,” Mustapha said.
He also said, “The CG Immigration will be directed to lift the suspension and to also activate the new sanctions. Travellers who did not go for their Day-7 test will have restriction placed on their international passports for six months, while those who evaded quarantine will similarly have restrictions on their international passports for one year.”

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture

UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board…

10 minutes ago

NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London

NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London The Nigerian National Petroleum Company…

5 hours ago

FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges

FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges The Nigeria Civil…

5 hours ago

ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election

ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election The African…

5 hours ago

Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers

Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers United States President, Donald Trump,…

5 hours ago

Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare

Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare Nigerian TikTok sensation and…

6 hours ago