Aisha Buhari, wife of President Muhammadu Buhari, says a fake statement on the extension of the old naira note deadline, posted on her social media accounts, was the work of a “hacker”.
The purported statement with the signature of Osita Nwanisobi, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) spokesperson, went viral on social media on Tuesday.
The statement claimed that the apex bank had been directed to recirculate the old N1000 and N500 notes as legal tender for 70 days.
The statement before it was deleted was shared by Aisha on her official Facebook and Instagram page.
The CBN later disowned the statement and asked the public to disregard it.
In a disclaimer on her Facebook page, Aisha said the statement was posted by a hacker with the intention to “attack her reputation”.
She stated, “It has come to my attention that a certain fake news was posted on my social media handle, Instagram, which also directly connects to my Facebook page, earlier this morning. I have since directed that it should be deleted.
“This is without a doubt the criminal actions of the person(s) who were responsible for deleting quite a number of my posts since 2018 to late last year when I posted a video and picture of my hands with Henna design of ABAT insignia on the day I launched the APC Women Presidential Campaign Committee for Bola Ahmed Tinubu in Ilorin, Kwara State, my post on the event for the Traditional and Complementary Alternative Medicine (TCAM) conference and 17 other posts.
“This person is a hacker, criminally minded with the intention to continue attacking my reputation through my social media platforms.
“But I am assuring you that this is the first and last I am disclaiming fake news on my handle.
“It is the responsibility of the security agencies to find out who am I sharing my social media handles with, despite being verified accounts, and take all necessary actions.”
Meanwhile, the CBN says it is working with law enforcement agencies to arrest and prosecute those responsible for the “fake” statement on the validity of the old N500 and N1,000 notes.
The apex bank issued the threat in a statement jointly signed by Edward Adamu, deputy governor, corporate services, and Osita Nwanisobi, director of corporate communications, on Tuesday.
The CBN insisted that President Muhammadu Buhari’s directive on the old N200 notes still stands.
It stated, “The bank is working with the law enforcement agencies to investigate, apprehend and prosecute the purveyors of this fake news. Please be guided accordingly.”
NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London The Nigerian National Petroleum Company…
FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges The Nigeria Civil…
ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election The African…
Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers United States President, Donald Trump,…
Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare Nigerian TikTok sensation and…
Abuja Church Expels Newly Married Woman Over Refusal to Consummate Marriage An Abuja-based church has…