Connect with us

Politics

I don’t know why APC has not sacked me — Babachir Lawal

Published

on

Babachir Lawal, former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF)

Former Secretary to Government of the Federation and chieftain of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, Engr. Babachir Lawal, has said that he was for Peter Obi of the Labour Party, expressing surprise that APC had not sacked him (Lawal).

He added that the 2023 presidential poll is a must-win for Peter Obi, given the current state of the country.

Lawal said these on Monday at an interactive session between Obi and north-eastern stakeholders in Abuja.

Lawal’s words: “I am in APC and a member of the Board of Trustees of the party, but I am doing the Peter Obi/Yusuf Datti movement.

“The APC has not sacked me yet. I don’t know what they are waiting for.

“We want (Obi) to win this election and must win this election. If we lose this election, we’ll all migrate to Cameroon because of the shame and disgrace of failure to win. It is not about whether we have options, Peter Obi must win this election.

READ ALSO:

“Nigerians are yearning for change and people are determined that this time around the change that we have been yearning for will come.

“Fortunately, we have a competent person in Peter and his running mate. We need an arrowhead to drive this change and these two provide it.

“I am not interested in LP as a party. I am interested in Peter Obi as a potential presidential candidate. It doesn’t matter which party Peter Obi is, I sense that Nigerians are due for change.

“They have been yearning for change; my own opinion is that Nigeria will vote for anybody as long as he is not part of the PDP or APC.”

The Convener, Engr. Isaac Balami stated that the interactive session is aimed at finding means of stirring the grassroots to mobilise them for Obi/Datti and ensuring their victory come February 25, 2023.

“Our meeting here is to meet on how to ensure victory for Obi/Datti,” he said.

Politics

JUST IN: 3 House of Reps members dump APC for PDP, meet Atiku [PHOTOS]

Published

on

Three members of the House of Representatives have dumped the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, for the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.

POLITICS NIGERIA gathered that the defectors also met with the 2023 Presidential candidate of the PDP, Atiku Abubakar, who officially welcomed them into the party on Sunday.

READ ALSO:

The reps members are; Hon Ahmed Dayyabu Safana (Member Representing Safana/Danmusa/Batsari), Hon Hamza Dalhat Batagarawa (Member Representing Batagarawa/Rimi/Charanchi), and Hon Salisu Iro Isansi (Member Representing Katsina Federal Constituency).

Continue Reading

Politics

Viral Video: My campaign bus was hijacked by APC thugs- Jandor

Published

on

Olajide Adediran, popularly known as Jandor

The PDP Governorship Candidate in Lagos, Abdul-Azeez Adediran (Jandor), has claimed that the PDP campaign bus seen in a viral video where some hoodlums shot in residential areas of Surulere was hijacked by thugs.
He sated this on Sunday while explaining that his campaign tour has come under heavy attacks in the state.
He appealed to the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Usman Baba, to take measures to check incessant attacks on his campaign trains.
Adediran also called on President Muhammadu Buhari and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to intervene in the attacks.
Adediran’s campaign train had been attacked by political thugs in Badagry, Ikorodu, Agege, Kosofe and Surulere, leaving some of his followers wounded and vehicles smashed.
It was also reported that the attack on Friday in Surulere was the third attack in succession where suspected hoodlums were said to have fired guns and destroyed some of the campaign vehicles in Adediran’s convoy.
Clearing issues around various attacks, Adediran noted that his change of campaign strategies by going to the people through his ward tours to sell himself to them had exposed him and his followers to huge threats and harassment from political thugs.

READ ALSO:

“I have constitutional backing to go everywhere to campaign for this election.
“Many of the people attacked are here because these attacks are not about me but the people, hence the account we are giving now.
“At Surulere, the moment I stepped out of the mosque, these boys came and began to shout “where is Jandor?”, and started to shoot everywhere. I quickly entered my car and we drove away.
“The thugs hijacked one of our cars. Before we knew it, all our campaign vehicles were damaged and the party secretariat was also damaged.
“We still want the IGP to take these happenings in Lagos State very seriously. Police should please live up to its constitutional responsibility of protecting our lives and property,” he said.
Adediran, who noted that his team had severally reported all the attacks to the police, said that there were video clips and pictures of the attacks.
He lamented that in most of the places, political thugs were also in the habit of harassing and dispersing people waiting to receive him.
Adediran explained that his running mate, Ms Funke Akindele, was also chased out of the Fruit Market in Kosofe by thugs while some others mounted a road block against his passage in the same council and resorted to hurling stones and bottles at him.
“We will go out there and continue with our campaign. We don’t want anybody to harass us, we don’t want to be intimidated.
“I have been speaking to the people, interacting with artisans, professional and religious groups as well as various associations and stakeholders.
“We were attacked in Badagry, Agege, Kosofe and Surulere in Lagos.
“All these happened in Lagos. Our expectation was that the Chief Security Officer of the state would have addressed the people of Lagos and condemned the attacks in its entirety. But nothing of such happened.

READ ALSO:

“We believe that they (the ruling party) actually want to use that to scare us away from embarking in the ward-to-ward tour. We will forge ahead,” he said.
Urging no one to twist the story, Adediran said that his followers could not have attacked the people he wanted to sell his manifestoes to, as was being alleged.
According to him, his team will not succumb to any threat from anywhere but will got out and engage the people at the grassroots, telling them what he would do differently if elected.
Adediran said that political actors should not resort to violence but allow the people of the state to select their leaders.
Stressing that the party had written an official petition to the IGP on the attacks, Adediran urged the police to do the needful.
Also speaking, Mrs. Aduke Akinde, a PDP leader at Iponri in Surulere, said that party members were preparing and waiting to receive Adediran and his team when masked political thugs drove in and destroyed the rented canopies and chairs on Thursday.
In her comment, Mrs Idowu Adeniyi (Iyalaya), a trader at fruit market in Kosofe, who is a PDP member, said that since the foiled attempt of Akindele to campaign in the market, the market authorities had not allowed them to enter their shops.
“Up till now, no opportunity to enter the market. We plead for help; we are being threatened since Tuesday. Our fruits, apples and bananas must be rotten now,” she said.
In his remarks, Pastor Philips Aivoji, the Lagos State Chairman of PDP, said that there were so many other attacks on PDP members in the state not reported in the media.
Aivoji, who noted that many PDP members in rural places were being threatened, said that election should not be a do-or-die affair.
“These cannot deter us. We will continue to forge ahead because we believe we are on the side of the people. We are not going to be intimidated,” he said.
Reacting to the alleged attacks in a statement on Saturday, Mr. Seye Oladejo, the Lagos APC Publicity Secretary, accused Adediran of unleashing terror on innocent residents in the course of his campaign in Surulere.
Oladejo condemned the resort to violence on the citizens of the state in the name of electioneering campaign.

Continue Reading

Politics

Sowore tackles Peter Obi for accepting donation from SS2 Student

Published

on

The presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi has come under criticism for accepting money donations from an SS 2 student. This criticism is coming from the candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), Omoyele Sowore.

Since the beginning of his campaign, Obi has asked Nigerians to support his plans to rescue Nigeria. A young secondary school girl by the name Chizzy Ebube Balogun heard this call and donated to Obi’s campaign.

READ ALSO:

Peter Obi accepted the money and thanked her for investing in her future and those of her contemporaries and generations yet unborn.

Here is what Obi wrote on his Twitter handle, “My deep appreciation to Ms. Chizzy Ebube Balogun, a secondary school (SS2) student, for her small but most invaluable donation. God bless you and your generation.”

Reacting to this, Sowore tagged it a scam. In his tweet, he shared a similar event that happened during President Buhari’s campaign years ago.

Continue Reading

Trending