Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC)
ICPC uncovers alleged fake agency claiming 2017 FEC approval after nine years
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has uncovered an alleged fake government agency that operated from the premises of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF) for years while presenting itself as a properly constituted federal institution.
The organisation, identified as the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office, allegedly claimed that it had received Federal Executive Council (FEC) approval in 2017 under the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari.
However, the ICPC said its investigation found that the office was operating without presidential authorisation and contrary to extant laws, raising questions about how it secured office space within the OSGF complex and maintained an official-looking structure for years.
The development was disclosed by ICPC Chairman, Dr Musa Aliyu, SAN, after he briefed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on the Commission’s investigation into the alleged fictitious Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC) and other weaknesses in the public service.
Aliyu said the discovery of the alleged fake agency emerged from the broader investigation into how unauthorised organisations could operate within government structures.
He said the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office had been illegally allocated office space within the OSGF premises, despite allegedly lacking the required authorisation to function as a federal agency.
The Commission identified George Buchi Nwabueze as the alleged promoter of the organisation.
According to the ICPC chairman, Nwabueze allegedly operated under several variations of his name, including George Nathan, George Nathan Nwabueze, Hon. George Buchi Nwabueze and Prince George Buchi Nwabueze.
A profile on the organisation’s website lists Nwabueze George as its “Executive Director, National Coordinator”, further linking the individual to the organisation at the centre of the ICPC investigation.
READ ALSO:
The organisation had built an elaborate public profile around its activities. Its website presented the office as an initiative focused on promoting Made-in-Nigeria products, supporting local industries, developing Nigerian brands and encouraging investment in domestic manufacturing.
Its stated objectives included the revival of moribund factories through investment arrangements, support for local brands, development of a national labelling and counterfeit surveillance system, and promotion of Nigerian products through trade fairs and exhibitions.
The organisation also published what it described as a “Bill for an Act to Establish the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Promotion Commission and for Related Matters.”
The purported legislation, identified on its website as the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Promotion Commission Act, 2025, was presented as providing a legal framework for the establishment of a commission responsible for promoting Nigerian brands and local manufacturing.
However, the publication of the proposed bill does not, by itself, establish that the organisation had been legally created as a federal agency.
The organisation also claimed that its activities had a 2017 FEC approval.
According to information published on its website, the Federal Executive Council allegedly approved a “National Campaign to Sensitize Nigerians on the Patronage of Made-in-Nigeria Products” at a meeting held at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on February 1, 2017.
The organisation listed the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment as the implementing ministry.
That claim has become one of the issues requiring verification as part of the ICPC investigation. While the organisation presents the 2017 FEC approval as part of its history, the anti-corruption agency maintains that the office was operating without the necessary presidential authorisation.
The alleged agency also established an extensive nationwide leadership structure, with national, zonal and state coordinators.
Its published structure included officials assigned to different geopolitical zones and states, creating the appearance of a federal organisation with representation across the country.
The organisation’s website also displayed official-looking green-and-white insignia bearing references to “The Presidency” and “Made in Nigeria”, further contributing to its public presentation as a government-backed initiative.
It maintained social media accounts under the handle @pmainpro on platforms including Facebook, Instagram, X and LinkedIn.
The ICPC is now investigating how the organisation was able to maintain such a structure and operate from government premises without being stopped earlier.
Aliyu also alleged that the organisation’s promoter may have had the suspected collaboration of some senior public servants within the OSGF.
The Commission is examining the role of officials who may have facilitated the organisation’s access to office accommodation and other government resources.
Following the ICPC briefing, President Tinubu ordered the immediate arrest of Nwabueze and directed the suspension of three permanent secretaries pending the outcome of the investigation.
The affected officials are M.S. Danjuma, Engr. Nadungu Gagare and Richard P. Pheelangwah.
The presidential action came amid a wider investigation into alleged fictitious government structures, following the earlier discovery of the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC).
The ICPC had alleged that the PFIPC was not a legitimate federal government institution despite presenting itself as one. Its alleged promoter, Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, is facing prosecution over allegations including forgery and impersonation.
The discovery of the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office has now widened concerns about fraudulent government structures and weaknesses in public-service oversight.
The case has raised questions about how an organisation allegedly lacking valid presidential authorisation could obtain office accommodation within the OSGF, establish a nationwide network of coordinators and maintain an official-looking online presence.
The ICPC said it had engaged officials of the OSGF to obtain additional information on how the organisation secured its accommodation and to establish the roles allegedly played by the suspended permanent secretaries and other individuals.
The Commission said its investigation would continue and that further findings would be communicated to the appropriate authorities.
For now, the alleged 2017 FEC approval, the circumstances surrounding the organisation’s occupation of government premises and the alleged involvement of public officials remain subjects of investigation.
The allegations against Nwabueze, the suspended officials and any other persons linked to the matter have not been established by a court. All individuals involved are entitled to due process and the presumption of innocence.
Lagos Moves to Tackle Housing Deficit, Inaugurates 2026 World Habitat Day Committee The Lagos State…
Hawk Fire in US Rages On, Burns 10,500 Acres in Nevada, Forces Mass Evacuations A…
EXEED to Storm Nigeria’s Premium Auto Market in December, courtesy of Versat Nigeria’s premium…
Rivers Monarch Escapes Assassination as Gunmen Raze Palace, Several Wounded Finima community in Bonny Local…
2027: Over 500 Northern Muslim Clerics Endorse Tinubu for Second Term The Muslim Intellectuals Forum,…
Messi Fined for Slapping Opponent in Heated Philadelphia Draw The Inter Miami star was sanctioned…