Iran’s Foreign Minister, Abbas Araghchi
Iran Accuses US of ‘Excessive Demands’ as Tehran Weighs Fresh Peace Proposal
Iran has accused the United States of making “excessive demands” as leaders in Tehran consider a new peace proposal aimed at ending months of conflict that have destabilised the Middle East and rattled global energy markets.
The latest diplomatic developments come amid growing speculation that Washington could launch fresh strikes on Iran if ongoing negotiations fail to produce a breakthrough.
Tensions escalated after reports emerged that US President Donald Trump abruptly cancelled plans to attend his son’s wedding in order to remain in Washington due to what aides described as “circumstances pertaining to government.”
The move fuelled speculation that discussions surrounding the Iran conflict had entered a critical stage.
The war began on February 28 following coordinated US-Israeli strikes on Iran, triggering retaliatory measures by Tehran and a prolonged standoff around the strategic Strait of Hormuz — one of the world’s most important oil shipping routes.
Since an April 8 ceasefire agreement, diplomatic efforts involving regional and international actors have failed to secure a permanent resolution to the conflict or fully restore unrestricted maritime access through the strait.
READ ALSO:
The disruption has significantly affected global oil supplies and contributed to volatility in international financial markets.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, during a telephone conversation with United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres, accused Washington of undermining diplomacy through what he described as contradictory policies and aggressive demands.
According to Iran’s foreign ministry, Araghchi said Tehran remained committed to diplomatic engagement despite “repeated betrayals of diplomacy and military aggression against Iran, along with contradictory positions and repeated excessive demands” by the United States.
US media organisations including Axios and CBS News reported that the White House was considering new strikes against Iran, although no final decision had reportedly been reached.
The reports indicated that senior US officials were reviewing military options in the event negotiations collapse.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio acknowledged that there had been “some progress” in negotiations but stressed that major differences remained unresolved.
Speaking on the sidelines of a NATO conference in Sweden, Rubio said Washington was still dealing with “a very difficult group of people,” adding that President Trump had “other options” if diplomacy failed.
Meanwhile, Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff, General Asim Munir, arrived in Tehran on Friday as part of mediation efforts aimed at preventing further escalation.
Iran’s official IRNA news agency reported that Munir held late-night talks with Araghchi focused on diplomatic initiatives to end the conflict.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei, however, cautioned against optimism, saying deep disagreements still existed between Tehran and Washington.
He noted that Qatar had also sent a delegation to hold discussions with Iranian officials as regional powers intensified efforts to broker peace.
“In recent days, many countries — both regional and non-regional — have been trying to help bring the war to an end,” Baqaei said, while emphasising that Pakistan remained the official mediator.
Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar also travelled to China — Iran’s largest trading partner — for high-level discussions expected to include the Middle East crisis.
A major sticking point in the negotiations remains the status of the Strait of Hormuz and retaliatory measures affecting Iranian ports.
Iran has warned that continued pressure could further disrupt maritime operations in the region, raising concerns over the impact on global trade and energy supply chains.
European Union member states on Friday condemned Iran’s blockade measures as contrary to international law and expanded sanctions targeting individuals allegedly linked to the closure of shipping routes.
Despite ongoing tensions, global markets showed cautious optimism that diplomacy could eventually succeed.
Wall Street closed higher on Friday, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average recording another all-time high as investors reacted positively to signs of continued negotiations.
However, oil prices also rose amid fears that prolonged instability around Hormuz could worsen global inflation and increase pressure on household incomes worldwide.
The conflict has also continued to spill into neighbouring Lebanon, where fighting between Israel and the Iran-backed Hezbollah movement has persisted despite ceasefire efforts.
Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported that Israeli forces carried out multiple airstrikes near the Syrian border targeting areas believed to house Hezbollah positions.
Iranian officials insisted that any comprehensive peace agreement must include an end to hostilities in Lebanon and other conflict zones linked to the war.
Lebanon’s health ministry said more than 3,100 people had been killed in the country since fighting escalated earlier this year, including civilians caught in cross-border attacks.
Odunlade Adekola Surprises Mother With Brand New Car On Her Birthday Nollywood veteran Odunlade Adekola has once…
Don't Label Oyo Kidnappers as 'Islamic Jihadists' – Saudi-Based Nigerian Scholar Warns Says criminality remains…
Jetour T2 Earns Top Global Safety Rating, Intensifies SUV Battle in Nigeria Jetour has…
Political Twist in Kano as Ganduje's Son Picks NDC Nomination Form for Reps Seat In…
APC Primary: Tinubu Sweeps Lagos, Borno Wards in Landslide Victory President Bola Tinubu on Saturday…
Google Unveils Gemini Omni AI Video Creation Tool to Rival OpenAI, Meta Google has unveiled…