International

Iran Demands Sanctions Relief In Response To US Peace Offer

Iran Demands Sanctions Relief In Response To US Peace Offer

Iran has formally submitted its response to the latest United States proposal aimed at ending the ongoing conflict, using Pakistan as a mediator, as tensions continue to rise over the future of the fragile ceasefire between both sides.

According to reports by Al Jazeera and Iran’s semi-official Tasnim News Agency, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed on Monday that Tehran’s latest position had been delivered to Washington through Pakistani intermediaries.

“The points raised are Iranian demands that have been firmly defended by the Iranian negotiating team in every round of negotiations,” Baghaei said during a press briefing.

The diplomatic exchanges come amid growing uncertainty surrounding a ceasefire that largely halted six weeks of fighting involving Iran, the United States, and Israel.

Talks mediated by Pakistan have reportedly stalled in recent days, with US President Donald Trump warning that the truce was “on life support.”

Iran’s latest demands reportedly include the release of Iranian assets frozen abroad, the lifting of US sanctions, compensation for war-related damages, and the removal of what Tehran described as a blockade on Iranian ports.

Iran is also insisting on a complete halt to hostilities across all fronts, including Lebanon, where Israeli military operations and airstrikes have reportedly continued despite ceasefire arrangements.

READ ALSO:

According to Iranian media outlet Fars News Agency, the latest US proposal presented a five-point framework that conditioned a permanent cessation of hostilities on Tehran entering formal peace negotiations with Washington.

The proposal reportedly included demands for Iran to maintain only one operational nuclear facility and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States.

Washington has also reportedly pressed Iran to dismantle key elements of its nuclear programme and ease restrictions affecting navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most strategic oil shipping routes.

Before the conflict escalated, the Strait of Hormuz reportedly handled nearly one-fifth of global crude oil and liquefied natural gas exports.

Iran, however, has maintained that it would continue to oversee activities around the waterway, which has remained partially disrupted since the beginning of the war.

Fars also claimed that the United States had refused to release “even 25 percent” of Iran’s frozen assets or agree to reparations for damages caused during the conflict.

Over the weekend, Trump intensified pressure on Tehran in a post shared on Truth Social.

“The Clock is Ticking,” Trump wrote, warning that Iran “better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!”

Meanwhile, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent announced plans to urge G7 finance ministers to align with US sanctions aimed at cutting off financing to what he described as Iran’s “war machine.”

US news outlet Axios also reported that Trump is expected to meet national security advisers on Tuesday to discuss possible options for renewed military action should negotiations collapse completely.

Analysts say concerns are growing that hostilities could resume within days if diplomacy fails.

Mohamad Elmasry, a professor of media studies at the Doha Institute of Graduate Studies, told Al Jazeera that competing influences within the Trump administration and pressure from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu could push Washington back toward military confrontation.

Despite the mounting pressure, Iranian officials insist the country is prepared for any escalation.

“As for their threats, rest assured that we are fully aware of how to respond appropriately to even the smallest mistake from the opposing side,” Baghaei said during the televised briefing.

The developments have continued to trigger concerns across global energy markets and diplomatic circles, with fears that a collapse of negotiations could further destabilise the Middle East and disrupt international oil supplies.

Iran Demands Sanctions Relief In Response To US Peace Offer

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

UTME 2026: JAMB Gives Fresh Update on Original Result Slip Delay

UTME 2026: JAMB Gives Fresh Update on Original Result Slip Delay The Joint Admissions and…

45 minutes ago

NYSC Charges Corps Members on Election Duties as Camp Closes in Osun

NYSC Charges Corps Members on Election Duties as Camp Closes in Osun The National Youth…

57 minutes ago

Frank Edoho Faces Fresh Allegations as Estranged Wife Breaks Silence

Frank Edoho Faces Fresh Allegations as Estranged Wife Breaks Silence Media personality Frank Edoho is…

1 hour ago

DAPPMAN Reacts As Dangote Refinery Challenges Fuel Import Licences In Court

DAPPMAN Reacts As Dangote Refinery Challenges Fuel Import Licences In Court The Depot and Petroleum…

2 hours ago

Yahaya Bello Sweeps Kogi Central APC Primary As Oshiomhole Wins Edo North

Yahaya Bello Sweeps Kogi Central APC Primary As Oshiomhole Wins Edo North Former Kogi State…

3 hours ago

Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide

Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide Three people were…

3 hours ago