International

Israeli strike on Gaza school kills more than 100 – Officials

Israeli strike on Gaza school kills more than 100 – Officials

More than 100 Palestinians have been killed and dozens wounded in an Israeli strike on a school sheltering displaced people in Gaza City, according to Palestinians officials in Gaza.

“The occupation army directly bombed the displaced people while they were performing the dawn prayer, and this caused the number of martyrs to rise rapidly,” the Gaza Government Media Office said in a statement following the attack on Saturday morning.

“This clearly comes within the framework of the crime of genocide and ethnic cleansing against our Palestinian people.”

Gaza’s civil defence agency said three Israeli rockets hit the al-Tabin school, located in al-Daraj district, describing the incident as a “horrific massacre”, with some bodies catching fire.

According to local media reports citing eye witness accounts, around 250 people had been inside the prayer hall at the time of the raid.

Palestinian journalist Hossam Shabat reported that rescue teams were unable to help those trapped by the flames as the Israeli military has cut water access to the area.

READ ALSO:

In its statement, the Israeli army said its air forces struck a “command and control centre” that “served as a hideout for Hamas terrorists and commanders” and was also a shelter for the residents of Gaza City.

The Palestinian Islamic Jihad rejected the claim. “The enemy army’s excuses for destroying schools are the same ones it used to destroy hospitals before, and they have been proven false,” it said in a statement.

Al Jazeera’s Hani Mahmoud, reporting from Khan Younis, said many of the casualties arriving at the al-Ahli Hospital in Gaza City were in critical condition.

“Many are arriving either soaked in blood or already pronounced dead,” Mahmoud said, adding that the medical facility was on the brink of collapse and unable to provide adequate medical care.

Al Jazeera’s Hamdah Salhut, reporting from Amman, Jordan, said “the images coming out of the school immediately after the strike shows tens if not hundreds of bodies just on the ground, some of them in pieces.”

She also pointed out that looking at the images coming out of the school, “the number of injuries, the damage to the buildings, really disprove the claims that there was precise weaponry that was used there”.

Our correspondent said the attack was the fourth such incident in a week. Israel has not presented evidence to prove its claims that schools were being used by Hamas.

Israeli strike on Gaza school kills more than 100 – Officials

Source: Al Jazeera

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Tinubu Hails Wike as APC Dominates 2026 FCT Area Council Elections

Tinubu Hails Wike as APC Dominates 2026 FCT Area Council Elections President Bola Tinubu has…

3 hours ago

Regina Daniels Takes Delivery of ₦150m 2026 GAC Trumpchi M8 SUV

Regina Daniels Takes Delivery of ₦150m 2026 GAC Trumpchi M8 SUV Nollywood actress Regina Daniels…

4 hours ago

Dr Sanusi Lafiagi Highlights Ramadan’s Spiritual Blessings, Post-Ramadan Challenges

Dr Sanusi Lafiagi Highlights Ramadan’s Spiritual Blessings, Post-Ramadan Challenges Ilorin, Kwara State – Dr Sanusi…

4 hours ago

Assistant Commissioner of Police Dies in Fatal Road Accident

Assistant Commissioner of Police Dies in Fatal Road Accident The Assistant Commissioner of Police Abubakar…

5 hours ago

Reasons Behind UniAbuja’s Expulsion of 28 Students, Withdrawal of 15 Certificates

Reasons Behind UniAbuja’s Expulsion of 28 Students, Withdrawal of 15 Certificates The University of Abuja…

5 hours ago

Yoruba Muslim Group Dismisses Viral Ramadan Date Claim, Reaffirms Sultan of Sokoto’s Authority

Yoruba Muslim Group Dismisses Viral Ramadan Date Claim, Reaffirms Sultan of Sokoto’s Authority A Yoruba…

5 hours ago