Ize-Iyamu withdraws from Edo APC gov primary
Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, one of the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship aspirants in Edo State, has withdrawn from the race.
This came on Friday ahead of the Edo APC governorship primary election scheduled to hold on Saturday.
On February 10, Ize-Iyamu and 11 other governorship aspirants were cleared to contest in the party’s primary.
Speaking at a press conference in Benin on Friday, Ize-Iyamu said the decision to withdraw from the governorship race was “painful”.
He added that his withdrawal from the race was in the interest of peace and unity of the party.
But he pledged to support any of the APC governorship aspirants who would win the Saturday’s primary.
“I entered the contest as a progressive democrat, with an open mind to keenly contest and accept the result of a process that is fair, credible and transparent,” he said.
“I appreciate the commendable effort made by the national working committee (NWC) of the APC.
“To correct the erroneous impression maliciously created by certain persons that some aspirants including myself had been disqualified from the gubernatorial contest.
“The NWC constituted the authentic screening committee and all 12 aspirants who purchased and completed the nomination forms were successfully screened and subsequently issued clearance certificates.
“This step was praise worthy and helped in restoring our integrity in the eyes of the public.
“Having been cleared to contest, I regrettably wish to announce my withdrawal from the race.
“Although painful, this decision has become imperative after an exhaustive consultation with my family, friends, political associates and supporters.”
Inflation Slows to 15.10% as Food Prices Eased in January Nigeria’s inflation rate recorded…
Police Arrest 13 as Armed Robbers Engage Officers in Fierce Gun Battle in Abuja Operatives…
Bandits Kill Six, Burn Police Station in Fresh Niger Attacks At least six people have…
US Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links The United States…
Appeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG The Lagos State…
FG Drags El-Rufai to Court Over Alleged NSA Phone Interception The Federal Government has…