Updated: Traffic relief as Lagos governor commissions Yaba overpass
The Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Thursday officially opened the new Yaba overpass to motorists.
This will provide a big relief for motorists and commuters who use the Yaba route daily and had to endure heavy traffic emanating from that end for months.
The Yaba overpass is one of five bridges being built by the state government along the red rail line corridor.
They are meant to put a permanent end to incessant accidents at level crossings.
Three other overpasses are built at Oyingbo, Mushin and Ikeja.
A statement by Sanwo-Olu’s spokesperson, Gboyega Akosile, said, “There are five overpass bridges constructed by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to eliminate the interaction between vehicular traffic and train services.”
He added that three out of the four remaining bridges had already been completed and would ready for commissioning in a few weeks.
Akosile stated that the fourth bridge, which is in the Mushin area of Lagos State, would be ready before the end of the year.
The spokesman for the Lagos State governor also said that the red line services, when fully operational, would transport more than one million passengers daily.
These overpasses will be supplemented by four more being built by the Federal Ministry of Transportation.
READ ALSO:
Governor Sanwo-Olu arrived at Yaba event at 12.20pm and he was received by the Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat.
Other dignitaries on the ground are Speaker Mudashiru Obasa, represented by Hon. Ademola Kasumu, Transportation Commissioner, Oluwaseun Osiyemi, and the Special Adviser to the Governor on Transportation, Sola Giwa.
Also on the ground are the Former High Commissioner to Ghana, Sen. Musiliu Obanikoro; Managing Director of LAMATA, Abimbola Akinajo and the Managing Director of Craneburg Construction, the contractor for the Yaba overpass, Gilbert Sassine.
Police Arrest 13 as Armed Robbers Engage Officers in Fierce Gun Battle in Abuja Operatives…
Bandits Kill Six, Burn Police Station in Fresh Niger Attacks At least six people have…
US Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links The United States…
Appeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG The Lagos State…
FG Drags El-Rufai to Court Over Alleged NSA Phone Interception The Federal Government has…
Terror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road Motorists plying the…