Kaduna DisCo
Kaduna DisCo disconnects Govt House over N2.9bn debt
The Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company (Kaduna DisCo) has announced the disconnection of electricity supply to the State Government House due to a N2.9 billion debt.
The management of the DisCo made this disclosure in a statement on Friday on their official X account.
The power company stated that the debt has accumulated over seven months of electricity consumption without payment by the government.
“In a dramatic move that underscores growing tensions between utility providers and state governments, Kaduna Electric has cut off electricity supply to the Kaduna State Government House and other state government accounts due to unpaid bills.
“Kaduna Electric announced the disconnection after extensive efforts to resolve the issue through consultations and reconciliations.
“The outstanding balance for electricity consumed from January 2024 to July 2024 alone amounts to a staggering One Billion, One Hundred and Sixty-Six Million, Eight Hundred and Fifty-Six Thousand, Nine Hundred and Ninety-One Naira, Eighty-Seven Kobo (N1,166,856,991.87).
READ ALSO:
“This figure, including the historical debt has left the State Government with a huge debt that currently stands at a total of Two Billion Nine Hundred and Forty-Three Million Sixty Thousand One Hundred and Sixteen Naira Seventy-Seven Kobo (N2,943,060,116.77),” the DisCo said.
In addition, the management noted that despite repeated attempts by the company to secure payment of the electricity bill from the State Government, all efforts were unsuccessful.
According to the statement, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) had previously intervened in the Disco by installing an Administrator and Special Board to oversee the Company during a transition period prior to an official takeover by the current investors.
The company also stated that a disconnection notice was formally issued on July 21, 2024, and was received by the Office of the Governor on July 22, 2024.
“Kaduna Electric’s decision to disconnect power came after repeated attempts to address the payment issues, including several consultations with state officials.
“A disconnection notice was formally issued on July 21, 2024, and was received by the Office of the Governor on July 22, 2024. The move reflects the company’s need to meet its own financial obligations amidst the broader challenges facing the electricity sector.
“Kaduna Electric has emphasized that the disconnection was a last resort after all other avenues for resolving the payment issue had been exhausted,” the statement added.
Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the governor of Lagos, said…
Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos The Lagos State Police Command has taken a…
Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt Senate President Godswill Akpabio has said he will…
Oyo PDP chieftain Adeojo dies, Makinde mourns Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has expressed deep sorrow…
Bayelsa govt gets court order to stop pro-Wike rally A High Court in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, has…
Petitioners mobilise constituents for fresh Natasha’s recall Following the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) dismissal of…