Kogi Bandits Ambush Wedding Guests on Ogbe–Egbe Road, Five Abducted - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Kogi Bandits Ambush Wedding Guests on Ogbe–Egbe Road, Five Abducted

Published

on

Kogi State Police Public Relations Officer, CSP William Ovye Aya
Kogi State Police Public Relations Officer, SP William Ovye Aya

Kogi Bandits Ambush Wedding Guests on Ogbe–Egbe Road, Five Abducted

Residents of Ogbe and surrounding communities in Kogi State were thrown into panic on Friday after armed bandits ambushed a group of travellers along the Ogbe–Egbe road, highlighting growing concerns over rural road insecurity in the region.

The victims were on their way to attend the wedding of an Ogbe indigene in Egbe when they were attacked near the Ogbe–Koro boundary. According to reports, one person was shot and rushed to a hospital for treatment, while five others were abducted and taken into the bush by the assailants.

READ ALSO:

This latest incident adds to a spate of violent attacks on rural roads in Kogi State, raising fears among residents and prompting urgent calls for heightened security measures and increased patrols to prevent further bloodshed.

In recent months, Kogi has witnessed multiple bandit attacks along key routes. Earlier in December, two travellers were kidnapped and another injured along the same Egbe–Ogbe road, while in September, three policemen were killed during a bandit ambush on the Egbe–Okunran axis. Security forces have occasionally engaged bandit groups in counter-operations, rescuing kidnapped victims and neutralising criminal elements, but residents continue to express concern over persistent threats.

Local authorities are being urged to strengthen intelligence gathering, improve rapid response capabilities, and collaborate with community vigilantes to curb the escalating insecurity that has made travelling on rural roads in Kogi dangerous.

Kogi Bandits Ambush Wedding Guests on Ogbe–Egbe Road, Five Abducted

Loading

metro

Lagos Moves to Tackle Housing Deficit, Inaugurates 2026 World Habitat Day Committee

Published

on

Lagos Moves to Tackle Housing Deficit, Inaugurates 2026 World Habitat Day Committee

The Lagos State Government has inaugurated the planning committee for the 2026 World Habitat Day celebration, charging members to deploy their expertise and work collaboratively towards finding sustainable solutions to the state’s housing and urban development challenges.

The committee was inaugurated last Tuesday by the Permanent Secretary, Office of Physical Planning, Lagos State Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development, Tpl. Olayinka Adebayo Wasiu, at the Ministry’s Conference Room in Alausa, Ikeja.

Speaking at the inauguration, Wasiu described World Habitat Day as an important platform for reflecting on the state of human settlements and reaffirming the fundamental right of every individual to adequate housing.

He said the 2026 theme, “Adequate Housing for All,” was particularly relevant to Lagos, given the need for stronger and more coordinated efforts to address housing challenges and improve living conditions across the state.

The Permanent Secretary called for greater collaboration among government agencies, private sector operators, development partners and other stakeholders in the built environment, stressing that the housing challenge required a comprehensive and sustainable response.

“I want you all to bring your expertise and contribute meaningfully before, during and after the programme because Lagos is widely regarded as the pacesetter of development in Nigeria,” he said.

Wasiu further urged committee members to approach their assignments with professionalism, dedication and a strong sense of purpose, while leveraging their diverse expertise to deliver a meaningful and impactful celebration.

He said the housing deficit could no longer be addressed through fragmented interventions, noting that a holistic approach was required to bridge the existing gap.

“The housing deficit is something we have to critically and holistically address in order to bridge the existing gap,” he added.

READ ALSO:

He explained that the Office of Physical Planning was responsible for coordinating the annual World Habitat Day observance in Lagos, adding that members of the 2026 planning committee were drawn from various Ministries, Departments and Agencies to promote broad representation, inclusiveness and effective coordination.

World Habitat Day is observed globally on the first Monday of October each year to draw attention to the state of human settlements and the right to adequate shelter.

The 2026 Lagos State celebration is scheduled for Monday, October 5, at the Blue Roof, LTV Complex, Agidingbi, Ikeja.

The state government reaffirmed its commitment to sustainable urban development, expanding access to adequate housing and implementing policies aimed at improving the quality of life of Lagos residents.

 

Lagos Moves to Tackle Housing Deficit, Inaugurates 2026 World Habitat Day Committee

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

ICPC uncovers alleged fake agency claiming 2017 FEC approval after nine years

Published

on

ICPC uncovers alleged fake agency claiming 2017 FEC approval after nine years

ICPC uncovers alleged fake agency claiming 2017 FEC approval after nine years

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has uncovered an alleged fake government agency that operated from the premises of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF) for years while presenting itself as a properly constituted federal institution.

The organisation, identified as the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office, allegedly claimed that it had received Federal Executive Council (FEC) approval in 2017 under the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari.

However, the ICPC said its investigation found that the office was operating without presidential authorisation and contrary to extant laws, raising questions about how it secured office space within the OSGF complex and maintained an official-looking structure for years.

The development was disclosed by ICPC Chairman, Dr Musa Aliyu, SAN, after he briefed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on the Commission’s investigation into the alleged fictitious Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC) and other weaknesses in the public service.

Aliyu said the discovery of the alleged fake agency emerged from the broader investigation into how unauthorised organisations could operate within government structures.

He said the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office had been illegally allocated office space within the OSGF premises, despite allegedly lacking the required authorisation to function as a federal agency.

The Commission identified George Buchi Nwabueze as the alleged promoter of the organisation.

According to the ICPC chairman, Nwabueze allegedly operated under several variations of his name, including George Nathan, George Nathan Nwabueze, Hon. George Buchi Nwabueze and Prince George Buchi Nwabueze.

A profile on the organisation’s website lists Nwabueze George as its “Executive Director, National Coordinator”, further linking the individual to the organisation at the centre of the ICPC investigation.

READ ALSO:

The organisation had built an elaborate public profile around its activities. Its website presented the office as an initiative focused on promoting Made-in-Nigeria products, supporting local industries, developing Nigerian brands and encouraging investment in domestic manufacturing.

Its stated objectives included the revival of moribund factories through investment arrangements, support for local brands, development of a national labelling and counterfeit surveillance system, and promotion of Nigerian products through trade fairs and exhibitions.

The organisation also published what it described as a “Bill for an Act to Establish the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Promotion Commission and for Related Matters.”

The purported legislation, identified on its website as the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Promotion Commission Act, 2025, was presented as providing a legal framework for the establishment of a commission responsible for promoting Nigerian brands and local manufacturing.

However, the publication of the proposed bill does not, by itself, establish that the organisation had been legally created as a federal agency.

The organisation also claimed that its activities had a 2017 FEC approval.

According to information published on its website, the Federal Executive Council allegedly approved a “National Campaign to Sensitize Nigerians on the Patronage of Made-in-Nigeria Products” at a meeting held at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on February 1, 2017.

The organisation listed the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment as the implementing ministry.

That claim has become one of the issues requiring verification as part of the ICPC investigation. While the organisation presents the 2017 FEC approval as part of its history, the anti-corruption agency maintains that the office was operating without the necessary presidential authorisation.

The alleged agency also established an extensive nationwide leadership structure, with national, zonal and state coordinators.

Its published structure included officials assigned to different geopolitical zones and states, creating the appearance of a federal organisation with representation across the country.

The organisation’s website also displayed official-looking green-and-white insignia bearing references to “The Presidency” and “Made in Nigeria”, further contributing to its public presentation as a government-backed initiative.

It maintained social media accounts under the handle @pmainpro on platforms including Facebook, Instagram, X and LinkedIn.

The ICPC is now investigating how the organisation was able to maintain such a structure and operate from government premises without being stopped earlier.

Aliyu also alleged that the organisation’s promoter may have had the suspected collaboration of some senior public servants within the OSGF.

The Commission is examining the role of officials who may have facilitated the organisation’s access to office accommodation and other government resources.

Following the ICPC briefing, President Tinubu ordered the immediate arrest of Nwabueze and directed the suspension of three permanent secretaries pending the outcome of the investigation.

The affected officials are M.S. Danjuma, Engr. Nadungu Gagare and Richard P. Pheelangwah.

The presidential action came amid a wider investigation into alleged fictitious government structures, following the earlier discovery of the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC).

The ICPC had alleged that the PFIPC was not a legitimate federal government institution despite presenting itself as one. Its alleged promoter, Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, is facing prosecution over allegations including forgery and impersonation.

The discovery of the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office has now widened concerns about fraudulent government structures and weaknesses in public-service oversight.

The case has raised questions about how an organisation allegedly lacking valid presidential authorisation could obtain office accommodation within the OSGF, establish a nationwide network of coordinators and maintain an official-looking online presence.

The ICPC said it had engaged officials of the OSGF to obtain additional information on how the organisation secured its accommodation and to establish the roles allegedly played by the suspended permanent secretaries and other individuals.

The Commission said its investigation would continue and that further findings would be communicated to the appropriate authorities.

For now, the alleged 2017 FEC approval, the circumstances surrounding the organisation’s occupation of government premises and the alleged involvement of public officials remain subjects of investigation.

The allegations against Nwabueze, the suspended officials and any other persons linked to the matter have not been established by a court. All individuals involved are entitled to due process and the presumption of innocence.

ICPC uncovers alleged fake agency claiming 2017 FEC approval after nine years

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

Rivers Monarch Escapes Assassination as Gunmen Raze Palace, Several Wounded

Published

on

Rivers Monarch Escapes Assassination as Gunmen Raze Palace, Several Wounded
Spokesperson for the Rivers State Police Command, Blessing Agabe

Rivers Monarch Escapes Assassination as Gunmen Raze Palace, Several Wounded

Finima community in Bonny Local Government Area, Rivers State, was thrown into chaos on Saturday when heavily armed gunmen stormed the palace of traditional ruler Aseme Alabo Dagogo Lambert Brown in a brutal attack that left multiple people wounded and raised fears of escalating violence.

PORT HARCOURT, Nigeria – The traditional ruler of Finima community in Bonny Local Government Area, Rivers State, Aseme Alabo Dagogo Lambert Brown, escaped assassination by the whiskers on Saturday morning when his palace came under brutal attack by heavily armed gunmen. The attack happened between 3 am and 4 am, when residents of Amadabo witnessed heavy gunfire that left residential buildings, fences, and a vehicle riddled with bullets. The incident, which lasted several hours, was said to have started in the early hours of Saturday over disagreements relating to cultural identity and the right of families in the community to perform certain masquerade displays. In the confusion that followed, the attackers reportedly invaded the building housing the ancient palace and stormed the Amadabo’s personal living room, apparently in search of him and members of his household.

Community sources claimed that some individuals have been fingered as those that carried out the attack. The sources, who craved to remain anonymous, said they expect security agencies to unravel the sponsors of the heinous operation. One source in the community further disclosed that an indigene identified as Ibiwari Brown allegedly suffered a severe injury, with his hand reportedly cut off by the attackers. Several other people who sustained severe bullet wounds were rushed to undisclosed hospitals for medical attention. According to the sources, the attackers did not end at the monarch’s residence, as they spread bullets to the houses of some community leaders, including an indigene identified as Alabo Tuwonimi. At the time of filing the report, it could not be ascertained if security agencies had arrested any suspects in connection with the operation.

READ ALSO:

The attack comes amid an ongoing dispute involving traditional institutions and chieftaincy interests in Finima, raising fears that the violence may be linked to a power struggle. The Buoye Omuso Brown Founding and Ruling House of Finima has called for urgent intervention by security agencies, the Rivers State Government, and other relevant authorities to prevent further deterioration of the situation. In a statement titled “SOS on Looming Invasion of Finima to Unleash Anarchy,” signed by its Administrative Secretary, Amasenibo Vivian Daps Brown, the Amadabo-in-Council raised concerns over alleged moves by the Bonny Chiefs Council, led by Se-Alabo (Amb.) Dagogo Soala Claude-Wilcox, to support a faction of the Tobin Chieftaincy House. The ruling house alleged that the development could cause unrest and threaten peace in Finima, warning that unknown individuals were being moved into the community for the purpose of causing what it described as “premeditated mayhem” against residents.

The Amadabo-in-Council recalled that the latest dispute originated in 2024 when a faction of the Tobin Chieftaincy House, led by Dagogo Joseph Tobin, reportedly initiated moves to establish what it described as the “Tobin House Owu-ogbo,” based on claims of ownership of Finima. The ruling house rejected the move, maintaining that the history and origin of Finima were well established and had been validated by courts of competent jurisdiction. Trouble reportedly began after a section of the Brown Chieftaincy House attempted to prevent the Tobin Chieftaincy House, both of Finima, from performing its annual festivals known as “Eremini and Fongu Mini,” scheduled for September 22, 2026. As part of the same cultural activities, the Tobin Chieftaincy House had also proposed to stage masquerade displays on October 31, 2026, an event which the Brown family had allegedly threatened to disrupt. But the Bonny Chiefs Council has debunked the claims of the Brown Chieftaincy House, dismissing them as unacceptable, provocative and capable of creating unnecessary tension and a breach of peace in the kingdom. In a statement, the council said no individual, faction, group or section of another chieftaincy house had the authority to stop or interfere with the cultural activities of another recognised chieftaincy house.

Reacting to the incident, the Chairman of Bonny Local Government Area, Amasenibo Hon. Abinye Blessing Pepple, directed the immediate suspension of all events and cultural activities in Finima Community. Pepple issued the directive when he visited the community for an on-the-spot assessment of the situation, expressing grave concern over the incident and assuring residents that necessary measures were being taken to restore and sustain peace. Pepple strongly condemned the violence and warned that any attempt by individuals or groups to undermine the security architecture of Bonny Local Government Area would be firmly resisted. He said all persons found responsible for the attack would be identified and brought to justice, stressing that acts capable of threatening the peace, security and safety of residents would not be tolerated. He also commended the security agencies for their swift and professional response, noting that their intervention contributed significantly to bringing the situation under control. “Consequently, all security agencies have been duly notified of the directive suspending all events and cultural activities in Finima Community. Any person or group that disregards this directive will be arrested accordingly,” he stated. The chairman urged residents of Finima and the entire Bonny Local Government Area to remain calm, vigilant and law-abiding, assuring them that the security situation was being closely monitored.

The community, which hosts the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) complex, was said to have been thrown into panic after the attack. The violence has raised fresh concerns over the management of traditional institutions, cultural rights and chieftaincy relations in Bonny Kingdom, where long-standing customs remain central to identity, legitimacy and communal peace.

Rivers Monarch Escapes Assassination as Gunmen Raze Palace, Several Wounded

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending