LASU workers declare indefinite strike over salary - Newstrends
Connect with us

Education

LASU workers declare indefinite strike over salary

Published

on

Lagos State University (LASU)

LASU workers declare indefinite strike over salary

The joint action committee of the academic and non-academic staff of Lagos State University (LASU), Ojo, on Monday, declared an indefinite strike.

Their demands from the Lagos state government – their employer – include an increase in salary and addressing salary disparities between LASU and other universities in the state.

It also includes payment of 20 percent salary increase as promised by the governor during his election campaign.

Others include payment of 20 per cent and 35 per cent agreement reached between the federal government and university workers.

The unions involved include the LASU chapters of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU).

Also involved are the LASU Chapters of the Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU) and the National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT).

Justice Obafemi, the chairman, NASU-LASU, said that the genesis of the industrial action was the promised 20 per cent salary increase made by Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos during his electioneering campaign.

READ ALSO:

Mr Obafemi said that after the election, the governor only paid the civil servants at Alausa Secretariat, neglecting the staff of the tertiary institutions.

“They used us, and in spite of our active contributions and efforts we made during the election, they have not fulfilled their promise.

“There is also a disparity in payment of salaries between LASU and the other two state-owned tertiary institutions.

“Even before Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education (AOCOED), and Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH) transmuted to universities, their staff were earning more than LASU staff,” the NASU chairman said.

Mr Obafemi added that when the administration came on board as new leaders, the unions wrote to the state government to look into the disparities.

“Also, the 20 per cent and 35 per cent agreement reached between the federal government and university workers.

“We set up a committee to look into it and sent all our requests to the government to harmonise salaries of all the academic institutions in the state.

“We had several meetings with the Lagos State Ministry of Tertiary Education and Ministry of Establishment and Training.

“Also, the LASU management tried to step into the matter. The vice-chancellor has pleaded several times, but we cannot continue to sacrifice the welfare of our union members,” Mr Obafemi said.

READ ALSO:

Ibrahim Bakare, chairman of ASUU-LASU, said that the unions were more interested in peace, adding that the action was an agitation for staff welfare.

Mr Bakare said that all unions in the institution decided to come together and collaborate to get to where they are today.

“We are being civil and not disrespecting the Senate of the university. We will remain calm for the government to address our demands and call us for a meeting,” he said.

Seyi Lawal, chairman, Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, SSANU-LASU, said that it had discussed and given the government several ultimatums to address and meet its demands.

Mr Lawal said that the government had been playing games with them, so the unions decided to take action by calling for an indefinite strike.

“We have not even gotten to the stage of payment of minimum wage; we want the government to address these demands first,” he said.

Oluwayemisi Thomas-Onashile, coordinator, centre for information and public relations, LASU, said in a statement that the institution’s Senate had declared a Christmas and New Year break for the students and staff.

She said that the break started today till Jan. 5, 2025, adding that all university activities, including lectures and socio-academic events, would resume on Jan. 6, 2025.

“All students residing in the university’s hostels across all campuses (Ojo, LASUCOM, Epe and Badagry) are required to vacate the hostels within 48 hours.

“The university management appreciates the support and dedication of staff and students throughout the year and wishes everyone a joyous Christmas and a prosperous New Year,” Mr Thomas-Onashile said.

 

LASU workers declare indefinite strike over salary

(NAN)

Loading

Education

Maduka University Denies Withholding Student Transcript, Fee Hike Claims in Viral Video

Published

on

Maduka University Denies Withholding Student Transcript, Fee Hike Claims in Viral Video

Maduka University Denies Withholding Student Transcript, Fee Hike Claims in Viral Video

Maduka University has denied allegations made in a viral social media video accusing the institution of withholding the transcript of a medical student and imposing arbitrary school fee increases on students.

The university described the claims as “baseless,” misleading and an attempt at “content creation,” insisting that due process was followed in all dealings concerning the student involved.

The controversy began after Mrs Chika Akhigbe, mother of a medical student at the institution located in Ekwegbe-Nsukka, Enugu State, posted a viral video alleging that the university refused to release her daughter’s hard-copy transcript despite payment of the required processing fee.

In the video, Akhigbe also accused the university of repeatedly increasing tuition fees for medical students, claiming the hikes had become financially unbearable for many parents.

She said the family requested the transcript because they planned to transfer their daughter to another university following the alleged fee increase.

However, in a statement signed by the Registrar of the university, J. Omeje, and made available to journalists, the institution rejected the allegations and provided its own account of the events.

According to the university, the student’s father was informed that official transcripts are only sent directly to another institution and not handed over to individuals.

READ ALSO:

“The student’s father was duly informed by the Registrar to provide the name of the institution to which the official transcript would be sent, in line with standard university practice and established academic procedures. This address has not been provided,” the statement read.

The university maintained that it never refused to release the transcript but merely requested the destination institution’s details in accordance with standard academic procedures followed globally.

Maduka University also alleged that the student’s father admitted he could not immediately pay the official transcript processing fee and later threatened legal action and social media exposure.

According to the institution, he allegedly visited several offices, including the Admissions Office and Bursary Department, making similar threats.

Responding to claims that all school fees had already been paid, the university said the student still had an outstanding balance of N500,000 from a total tuition obligation of N3.5 million for the 2025/2026 academic session.

“It is not true that all fees have been paid. They have an outstanding of N500,000,” the statement added.

The university further claimed that no payment had been received for transcript processing as of May 21, 2026.

“As at May 21, 2026, the university is yet to receive any payment from her for the purpose of any transcript processing,” the institution stated.

READ ALSO:

Maduka University also denied claims that the Vice Chancellor personally discussed the transcript matter with the student’s parents, clarifying that all interactions took place strictly through the Registrar’s office, which supervises transcript processing through the university records unit.

On allegations of arbitrary fee hikes, the institution insisted that reports circulating online were inaccurate.

According to the university, tuition and accommodation fees for returning medical students for the 2026/2027 academic session stand at N4,010,000 and not N4.5 million as claimed in the viral video.

The university said the new academic session had not yet commenced and argued that its fees remain among the lowest charged by private medical universities in Nigeria.

“Her claim that we increase school fees annually and therefore have become unaffordable is false. We have maintained one of the lowest fee regimes among our contemporaries,” the statement added.

The institution also dismissed claims that the student involved was the best-performing student in her class, describing the assertion as inaccurate.

Addressing security concerns raised in the video, the Registrar said the university has never recorded any security breach since its establishment.

“It is false and unsubstantiated; we have never had any security breaches since the inception of the university,” the statement said.

The university accused Mrs Akhigbe of attempting to damage the institution’s reputation through social media influence and public pressure.

“Her intention is to use her social media influence to force the university to circumvent official protocol. It is surprising that a mother would use the education of her daughter to entertain her social media followers and drive traffic to her page,” the university stated.

Maduka University reaffirmed its commitment to professionalism, due process and adherence to academic standards in all administrative matters.

The institution also urged members of the public to rely on verified information from official channels rather than social media narratives.

Maduka University was founded by renowned businessman and Peace Group Chairman, Samuel Maduka Onyishi, as part of efforts to expand access to quality higher education in Nigeria.

The controversy has continued to generate mixed reactions online, with some social media users calling for greater transparency from private universities, while others argued that transcript release procedures are standard practice across many tertiary institutions.

Education stakeholders have meanwhile stressed the need for better communication between universities, students and parents to prevent similar disputes from escalating publicly.

Maduka University Denies Withholding Student Transcript, Fee Hike Claims in Viral Video

Loading

Continue Reading

Education

Nigeria Signs Deal To Train 36,000 Youths In Digital Economy Programme

Published

on

Nigeria Signs Deal To Train 36,000 Youths In Digital Economy Programme

Nigeria Signs Deal To Train 36,000 Youths In Digital Economy Programme

The Federal Government of Nigeria has signed a landmark agreement to train 36,000 young Nigerians in digital skills development, as part of a renewed push to prepare youths for opportunities in the global digital economy.

The initiative, known as the Digital Training Academy (DTA) programme, was formally signed on the sidelines of the Education World Forum (EWF) in London and is being positioned as a flagship intervention under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

Speaking at the signing ceremony, the Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said the programme reflects the administration’s commitment to equipping Nigerian youths with globally competitive skills in technology, innovation, and entrepreneurship. According to him, digital competence is now essential for national development and individual employability. He added that the Renewed Hope Agenda recognises digital competency as a core foundation for modern economic growth, stressing that the initiative is a direct investment in helping young Nigerians compete globally.

A statement by the Special Adviser on Media and Communications to the Minister, Ikharo Attah, confirmed that the programme will be delivered in partnership with global online learning platform Coursera, alongside Nigeria’s National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) and Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH). Through this partnership, participants will be trained in high-demand digital and tech fields including Artificial Intelligence (AI), data science, cybersecurity, cloud computing, software engineering, and digital product development.

READ ALSO:

The Federal Government also confirmed it has fully funded 36,000 learning licences across Coursera and Pluralsight, ensuring that selected participants will access training at no personal cost. Officials said the initiative is designed to remove financial barriers while ensuring participants earn internationally recognised certifications that can improve their employability in both local and global job markets.

To ensure nationwide participation, the programme will leverage NOUN’s distance learning structure, allowing access for youths across all geopolitical zones in Nigeria. YABATECH will complement this effort by providing industry-based mentorship, facilitators, and technical support to strengthen practical learning outcomes and improve completion rates.

Alausa stressed that success will depend not only on access but also on accountability and completion, noting that structured support systems have been built into the programme to ensure measurable impact. He described the agreement as a “covenant between government and Nigerian youth,” reaffirming the administration’s commitment to long-term investment in human capital development.

The initiative is part of Nigeria’s broader strategy to reduce youth unemployment and strengthen participation in the global digital economy, where demand for skilled tech professionals continues to grow. Analysts say the programme could position Nigeria as a major exporter of digital talent if properly implemented and sustained.

However, education stakeholders have urged the government to ensure transparency, strong monitoring, and long-term funding to avoid challenges that have affected similar intervention programmes in the past.

Despite these concerns, the initiative has been widely welcomed as a significant step toward bridging Nigeria’s growing digital skills gap and expanding access to globally relevant technology education.

Nigeria Signs Deal To Train 36,000 Youths In Digital Economy Programme

Loading

Continue Reading

Education

BREAKING: JAMB Releases 279 Withheld UTME Results After Malpractice Review

Published

on

BREAKING: JAMB Releases 279 Withheld UTME Results After Malpractice Review

BREAKING: JAMB Releases 279 Withheld UTME Results After Malpractice Review

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has announced the release of 279 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) results that were earlier withheld for further scrutiny over suspected examination malpractice.

The development was confirmed in a statement issued on Thursday by the board’s Public Communication Advisor, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, who said the decision followed a detailed review of flagged cases during the 2026 UTME exercise.

According to JAMB, the released results are part of ongoing investigations into alleged irregularities recorded in some examination centres across the country.

The board explained that while some candidates were cleared after investigations found no evidence of malpractice, others had their results cancelled after being found culpable.

JAMB noted that the review process remains ongoing for several centres identified through its monitoring system for suspicious activities and reported irregularities during the examination period.

READ ALSO:

It added that results linked to such centres will remain withheld until investigations are fully concluded.

The examination body warned that any candidate eventually found guilty of malpractice will have their results cancelled in line with its regulations and examination guidelines.

To check their results, candidates were advised to send “UTMERESULT” to 55019 or 66019 using the same phone number used during UTME registration, as part of JAMB’s official result-checking process.

The board reaffirmed its commitment to maintaining the integrity of the UTME examination, stressing that strict monitoring systems were in place to curb malpractice and ensure fairness in the conduct of future examinations.

The latest release is part of JAMB’s phased review process for the 2026 UTME, which has seen results released in batches following nationwide examinations conducted earlier in the year.

 

BREAKING: JAMB Releases 279 Withheld UTME Results After Malpractice Review

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending