Insecurity: Makinde may buy AK-47 rifles for Amotekun operatives - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Insecurity: Makinde may buy AK-47 rifles for Amotekun operatives

Published

on

Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde has indicated interest in arming operatives of the Western Nigeria Security Network, codenamed Amotekun, with AK-47 rifles to boost security operations.

The governor stated this on Tuesday at the International Conference Centre, University of Ibadan, while delivering his keynote address at the maiden ‘Governor ‘Seyi Makinde National Democracy Summit’.

The governor said the success recorded so far by the outfit is due to the recruitment system which ensures that the operatives are selected from their local terrains.

According to him, challenges facing the nation would have been effectively addressed, if state governments are given the power to control security operatives in their states.

“We need to fully appreciate that state policing is a sure cure to our national development challenges. Anyone who has been involved in security at any level will tell you that policing is local,” Makinde said, according to a statement by Taiwo Adisa, his spokesman.

“One of the reasons why the Western Nigeria Security Network, code-named Amotekun, is recording success is because members of the corps are drawn from the locality. They know the terrain and so can gather needed intelligence. Also, they can be held accountable by the local people.

“When the state governors become the actual Chief Security Officers in charge of the security personnel in their state, they can quickly respond to security challenges.

“Yes, we will continue to do our best. We were able to get Amotekun off the ground and it is in operation now. But there are several limitations to what Amotekun can do right now, and the types of firearms they can carry. If we are given the authority and licence, I will also buy AK-47 rifles for Amotekun.

“So, these are just two areas where true federalism will bring greater economic benefits and development to Nigerian states.”

Loading

metro

Hamzat warns workers against spending over 40% of income on rent

Published

on

Hamzat warns workers against spending over 40% of income on rent
Lagos State Deputy Governor Obafemi Hamzat

Hamzat warns workers against spending over 40% of income on rent

Lagos State Deputy Governor Obafemi Hamzat has advised workers not to spend more than 40 per cent of their income on rent, warning that excessive housing costs could leave households struggling to meet other basic needs.

Hamzat gave the advice during a question-and-answer session with Nigeria Info FM on Thursday, August 20, 2026, while responding to concerns about the rising cost of housing in Lagos and the difficulty faced by young workers on modest incomes.

The deputy governor was asked how a 22-year-old earning N100,000 monthly could afford a self-contained apartment or mini-flat reportedly costing about N1 million annually in rent.

In response, Hamzat said young workers should make housing decisions based on their income rather than social pressure or the expectation that they must immediately move into independent accommodation after securing employment.

He suggested that unmarried young workers who cannot comfortably afford rent could consider living with their parents, relatives or cousins, or share accommodation with others while building their careers and finances.

“Don’t let us misunderstand ourselves as a people. We are cultural people. Do you understand? So, if I start work as a young person and I’m not married, a lot of us live with our parents. A lot of us live with our cousins,” Hamzat said. (Punch Newspapers)

Hamzat said there was no need for young workers to “start from the top” by renting expensive self-contained apartments when their earnings could not comfortably support such accommodation.

He encouraged residents to start with housing they can afford and improve their living arrangements as their income and savings increase.

The deputy governor also stressed the need for workers to balance rent payments with other essential expenses, including food, clothing and transportation.

READ ALSO:

“In fact, if you spend more than 40 per cent of your income on rent, it is too high because you must eat, you must buy clothes, you must do transportation,” he said. (TheNiche)

For a worker earning N100,000 monthly, an annual rent of N1 million would amount to more than 80 per cent of annual income, leaving only about N200,000 before other expenses such as food, transport, utilities and clothing are considered.

Hamzat’s comments come as rising rents in Lagos continue to put pressure on workers, particularly young people and households whose earnings have not kept pace with accommodation and other living costs.

Beyond renting, Hamzat advocated mortgage financing as a more sustainable route to home ownership, arguing that Nigerians should not be expected to pay the full cost of a property at once.

“But, you know, the challenge is we cannot continue to buy houses the way we buy rice and yam. Do you understand? So, we must buy properties using a mortgage, and that’s why we have a mortgage board in Lagos,” he said.

He explained that mortgage financing could allow residents to make an initial payment and spread the remaining cost over several years, making home ownership more achievable for people who cannot afford a one-off payment.

Using a N7 million property as an example, Hamzat said a prospective buyer could pay a 10 per cent initial deposit of N700,000 and spread the remaining balance over 10 years.

He said monthly repayments could vary depending on the buyer’s income and repayment capacity, with some residents paying around N25,000 or N35,000 monthly.

“That is the way to go because we know that a lot of people will not be able to afford to pay a one-shot deal,” Hamzat said. (The Sun Nigeria)

Hamzat also highlighted the role of the Lagos State Residents Registration Agency (LASRRA) in the housing process, saying residents’ registration information could help establish their identity, address and place of work when assessing their ability to access housing finance.

He said the system could support a process in which an applicant’s financial capacity and ability to repay a mortgage are assessed before financing is approved.

The deputy governor further urged young workers to develop a savings culture and consider smaller properties as an entry point to home ownership, rather than waiting until they can afford more expensive houses.

According to Hamzat, the housing challenge cannot be addressed through personal financial choices alone. He said broader economic conditions, particularly workers’ incomes and the cost of essential goods and services, also need to improve.

“What is important is we must also build our economy in such a way that people earn better,” he said.

Hamzat said greater economic stability would make it easier for households to plan their finances, manage housing costs and work towards owning property.

He also linked the housing challenge to the wider cost-of-living situation, arguing that reducing the pressure created by the rising cost of goods and services would help residents cope with other financial obligations.

“The cost of buying things is what we need to fix first, and then when we fix that, which is what the Federal Government is doing now, then we’ll be able to talk a lot more about other pillars that stop on top of that,” he said. (The Whistler Newspaper)

Hamzat’s position therefore combines a call for affordable housing choices, greater use of mortgage financing and improved household savings with a broader appeal for stronger incomes and economic stability.

For young workers in Lagos, his central message was that accommodation should reflect what they can realistically afford, rather than consume a disproportionate share of their earnings.

Hamzat warns workers against spending over 40% of income on rent

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here’s When Nigerians Will Get Break

Published

on

Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here's When Nigerians Will Get Break
Minister of Interior, Dr Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo

Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here’s When Nigerians Will Get Break

In a move that has sparked excitement across the country, the Federal Government has made an official declaration that will see workers nationwide enjoy a well-deserved break from their daily routines. The announcement, which came through the Ministry of Interior on Friday, has sent waves of anticipation through offices and businesses as citizens begin making plans for the upcoming holiday.

The Federal Government has officially declared a public holiday to commemorate this year’s Eid ul Mawlid, which marks the birth of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him). The declaration gives workers across the country a break and provides Muslim faithful an opportunity to observe the occasion with prayers, religious activities, and family gatherings. The declaration was made by the Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, on behalf of the Federal Government in a statement issued on Friday, August 21, by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Dr Magdalene Ajani. The announcement has been welcomed by Muslim communities across Nigeria, who are now preparing to mark the significant religious occasion with traditional observances and communal festivities.

READ ALSO:

In his goodwill message, Tunji-Ojo extended warm felicitations to Muslims in Nigeria and across the diaspora, while also urging all Nigerians, regardless of their religious affiliations, to use the occasion as an opportunity for introspection and moral renewal. He emphasised that the life and teachings of the Prophet Muhammad offer timeless lessons that transcend religious boundaries and speak to the universal values of humanity. The minister stated that every Eid ul Mawlid gives citizens reason to pause and draw lessons from a life defined by compassion, humility and service to others, adding that these are qualities the nation needs now more than ever. He encouraged every Nigerian, not just Muslim brothers and sisters, to reflect on them, underscoring the importance of embracing these virtues as a foundation for national transformation.

The minister stressed that the celebration period should serve as a time for collective prayer for peace, unity, and national cohesion, emphasising that the task of maintaining peace across the country requires the collective efforts of all citizens, irrespective of their ethnic or religious backgrounds. He called on citizens to observe the celebration with restraint, mutual respect, and consideration for one another, while wishing the Muslim community a joyous and peaceful Eid. Tunji-Ojo further noted that the occasion presents an opportunity for Nigerians to strengthen the bonds of brotherhood and foster a spirit of tolerance and understanding, which are essential for the nation’s progress and development.

Reaffirming the Tinubu administration’s commitment to safeguarding lives and property, the minister assured Nigerians that the government remains dedicated to ensuring peace and stability across the nation at all times. He encouraged citizens to support initiatives designed to promote national unity and peaceful coexistence among Nigerians of diverse religious and cultural backgrounds, noting that sustainable development can only thrive in an environment of peace and security.

Eid ul Mawlid, also known as Mawlid al-Nabi, is observed by Muslims in many parts of the world to honour the birth of Prophet Muhammad. In Nigeria, the occasion is usually marked with special prayers, religious gatherings, lectures, and charitable activities. The declaration means workers across the country will enjoy a day off from work on the designated day, giving many Nigerians an opportunity to rest, spend quality time with family, and participate in Eid ul Mawlid activities. Businesses, schools, and government offices are expected to remain closed on the holiday.

Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here’s When Nigerians Will Get Break

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

Dry Cleaner Pleads Guilty to Stealing Senator Ireti Kingibe’s Jewellery Worth N45.7 Million

Published

on

Dry Cleaner Pleads Guilty to Stealing Senator Ireti Kingibe's Jewellery Worth N45.7 Million
Senator Ireti Kingibe

Abuja Dry Cleaner Pleads Guilty to Stealing Senator Ireti Kingibe’s Jewellery Worth N45.7 Million

A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Dutse, Abuja, has ordered the remand of a 52-year-old dry cleaner, Abdul Mohammed, who pleaded guilty to stealing expensive jewellery belonging to Senator Ireti Kingibe, the lawmaker representing the Federal Capital Territory in the National Assembly. The stolen items, which included gold bangles, necklaces, luxury wristwatches, and earrings, were allegedly sold by the suspect to two buyers for a total sum of N45.7 million.

Magistrate Abdullahi Ilelah gave the remand order on Friday following Mohammed’s guilty plea and adjourned the matter until September 21 for sentencing, allowing the court time to deliberate on the appropriate penalty for the offence .

The case has drawn significant attention due to the high-profile nature of the victim and the brazen breach of trust by a service provider who had been granted access to the senator’s residence. The prosecution told the court that Senator Kingibe, who resides in the upscale Zangon Daura Estate in Kado, Abuja, first reported the incident at the Criminal Investigation Department of the Nigeria Police Force on June 27 .

READ ALSO:

According to the prosecution counsel, Adama Musa, the dry cleaner gained unlawful entry into the complainant’s private room, where he forcefully broke open her jewellery box and carted away an assortment of high-value items . The offence, which contravenes Section 289 of the Penal Code Law, carries prescribed punishment for theft and related property offences .

During police investigation, Mohammed reportedly confessed to the crime and disclosed that he did not act alone in disposing of the stolen assets . The defendant admitted to selling all the stolen jewellery to two buyers, identified as Suleiman Isah and Isah Yusuf, both residents of the Federal Capital Territory, for a total sum of N45.7 million . This confession formed a crucial part of the evidence linking him to the crime.

The prosecution urged the court to proceed with sentencing without further delay, citing Section 112(8) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015, which empowers the court to act swiftly on guilty pleas in appropriate circumstances . The court is now expected to determine the legal consequences for the convicted dry cleaner when it reconvenes for sentencing on September 21 .

Dry Cleaner Pleads Guilty to Stealing Senator Ireti Kingibe’s Jewellery Worth N45.7 Million

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending