Many abducted as terrorists invade Kaduna community over failure to pay levies – Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Many abducted as terrorists invade Kaduna community over failure to pay levies

Published

on

Many abducted as terrorists invade Kaduna community over failure to pay levies

Rampaging terrorists have invaded another Kaduna Community, Kidandan, in Giwa Local Government Area of Kaduna State, where yet to be ascertained number of persons were feared killed resulting in residents fleeing in large numbers to neighbouring villages for safety.

The terrorists were said to have stormed the community, shooting sporadically because, according to a source, the community failed to pay levies imposed on them to allow them to go to their farms.

Aside from those that were reported to have been killed, it was further gathered that some persons were also abducted during the attack.

Survivors told journalists that the terrorists, who had been terrorising the community for some time, became more aggressive because of the failure by farmers to pay levies earlier imposed on them by the bandits.

The Kidandan attack is coming few days after the erroneous bombing of locals in Tudun Biri village of Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State, where over 80 people lost their lives while more than 70 others sustained varying degrees of injuries.

READ ALSO:

A survivor, who will not want his name mentioned, said, “For the past six days, the bandits have been coming to Kidandan, but this attack was devastating. They came and terrified us, stole and abducted our people. Every resident in Kidandan lives in extreme fear.

“Our women and children were leaving in droves. The number of those who embarked on this forceful and unprepared exodus would surprise you. They are moving for safety, perhaps to places like Zaria and other seemingly safe locations to squat with friends and relatives.”

He also alleged that instead of having a permanent security presence in the community, the operatives only came on patrol, which had given the bandits opportunity to operate whenever they knew the security operatives had gone.

When a call was put through to the Kaduna State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Munsur Hassan, for reaction his line was not reachable as at the time of filing this report.

Many abducted as terrorists invade Kaduna community over failure to pay levies

(LEADERSHIP)

metro

Kwara man dies while rescuing son from well

Published

on

Kwara man dies while rescuing son from well

One Fasasi Afeez has died while trying to rescue his his son Kaleed Afeez who fell in a well in Kwara state.

The incident happened in Gaa Jangbo, Igbonna Road Offa, in Offa local government area the State.

The Kwara State Fire Service confirmed the incident on Friday, saying it occurred at about 04:11 pm on Thursday.

The spokesman of the state fire service, Hassan Adekunle, disclosed that the body of a 49-year-old man and his 17-year-old son were recovered from the domestic well.

He, however, said while the man was recovered dead, the son was rescued alive.

READ ALSO:

Adekunle noted that the man stumbled and fell into the well in his frantic attempt to save his son.

According to him, the brigade was summoned through an exchange telephone call by One Alhaji Taiye Gbadamosi living in the neighbourhood.

According to a report, “the rescued boy went to fetch water from the domestic well and in the process of fetching water, one of his legs suddenly slipped off the ground and he eventually tumbled down into the well.

“However, before the arrival of fire servicemen, his father while trying to rescue the victim, his legs suddenly slipped off the ground and he eventually tumbled down into the well too.”

Director, Kwara State Fire Service, Prince Falade John Olumuyiwa, expressed sadness over the incident and urged the general public to be more careful in their day-to-day activities and desist from sending underage children to fetch water in domestic wells.

Kwara man dies while rescuing son from well

Continue Reading

metro

BREAKING: One feared killed as violent clashes rock Lagos market

Published

on

BREAKING: One feared killed as violent clashes rock Lagos market

Commercial activities in the Oluwole Market in Ogba, Ojodu Local Council Development Area of Lagos State were grounded on Friday morning as Yoruba and Hausa clashed.

It was learnt that the clash ensued on Thursday night when a young man simply identified as Abbey settled a quarrel between two Hausa men and was allegedly stabbed by an unidentified man, leaving him in a pool of blood.

According to eyewitness accounts, Abbey was said to be bleeding profusely before he gave up the ghost, sparking a reprisal between Yoruba and Hausa in the area.

READ ALSO:

The reprisal attack led to the destruction of food items including peppers, onions, and sold by Hausa traders.

It was gathered that police vans are now patrolling the market in an attempt to stem the clash and restore normalcy.

Calls made to the line of the Lagos State Police Command’s spokesperson, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, were not answered.

“Sorry, I can’t take this call right now,” he wrote in response to a text sent to his on the incident.

BREAKING: One feared killed as violent clashes rock Lagos market

Continue Reading

metro

Devout Christian doctor convicted of punching a dementia patient

Published

on

Devout Christian doctor convicted of punching a dementia patient

A devout Christian doctor has been convicted of punching a dementia patient who made a racist comment towards him during a medical consultation.

Consultant physician Dr Xowi Mwimbi, 68, punched the patient who has complex health needs in the left temple and pushed his head into a pillow after he told him to leave his hospital room.

Staff at Blackpool Victoria Hospital, in Lancashire had urged Mwimbi to stand back warning him that the patient would get severely distressed if anyone got to close to him.

But the doctor who is a church elder at the Altrincham Seventh-day Adventist Church, in Greater Manchester and trustee of a charity which tackles poverty in Africa ignored their pleas and attacked the unnamed man.

During the ensuing scuffle the patient who has limited movement due to his condition instinctively swung his arm towards Mwimbi but barely made contact.

The doctor then reacted by punching the dementia patient in his left temple and pressing his head into the pillow.

Care staff who were present quickly intervened and reported the assault.

The patient had a care plan in place for his complex needs which included an instruction not to get too close to him as it caused him distress.

He was also known to make racial comments due to his mental condition.

In a police interview Dr Mwimbi from Wythenshawe, Manchester who was working as a locum at the hospital said the patient had hit him and racially abused him so he had acted in ‘self-defence’.

READ ALSO:

He said he was ‘surprised and shocked’ to hear the care staff present were ‘telling stories about him’ and claimed their version of events was ‘all a figment of their imagination’.

But at Preston Crown Court, Mwimbi who qualified in Zambia in 1986 was convicted of ill treatment by a care worker following a trial after jurors rejected his self defence plea.

He will be sentenced in May and he now faces an investigation by the General Medical Council which could lead to him being struck off.

The maximum sentence for an offence of ill treatment by a care worker is five years in jail.

Prosecutors said the incident would not have arisen if Mwimbi had followed the care plan and that the patient scarcely made contact with the doctor due to his lack of mobility.

After the case Miss Sazeeda Ismail, Senior Crown Prosecutor for CPS North West said: ‘Dr Xowi Mwimbi demonstrated a gross breach of his duty of care, when in anger he used excessive force against an extremely vulnerable man.

‘His actions traumatised those who witnessed the incident. I would like to thank those witnesses for their quick action in intervening and reporting what they had seen.

‘It is thanks to them that we have been able to bring Dr Mwimbi to justice for his despicable actions.’

The 767 bed hospital has already been at the centre of a four year police investigation into a ‘culture of abuse’ by staff towards patients on the stroke unit.

The probe began after a student ‘whistle-blower’ went to the authorities after being shocked by comments made by a senior nurse.

She also said she had been told to sedate a difficult patient with prescribed drugs which hadn’t been prescribed.

Several members of staff have been convicted of offences relating to the theft of drugs, ill treatment of patients and sexual harassment.

Last December a nurse and a healthcare worker were jailed for ill treatment after a court heard patients were sedated for an ‘easy shift’ and ‘amusement’.

Detectives are still investigating the suspicious death of Valerie Neale, 75, who bled to death on the ward in November 2018 after suffering what officers believe was a sex attack.

A murder investigation was launched after a post-mortem examination found that she had died following a haemorrhage caused by a ‘non-medical related internal injury’.

A £20,000 reward has been offered for information leading to to the conviction of the killer but no-one has been brought to justice.

An inquest into her death us due to take place in May.

Devout Christian doctor convicted of punching a dementia patient

dailymail

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content