There was pandemonium at the popular Alaba International Market in Lagos Wednesday morning as traders clashed with area boys.
Unconfirmed reports said the traders were against the undue demand for money by the area boys.
Spokesperson for the Lagos State Police Command, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, said the police were working to restore order in the area.
It was learnt that the violence broke out in the morning when the hoodlums approached the traders to collect levies as usual.
The traders were said to have resisted the payment, thereby leading to the clash.
Daily Trust reports that a video of the clash showed some persons brandishing dangerous weapons.
There were also reports of gunshots in the area making the people to run in different directions for safety.
Shops were also hurriedly shut, while people took cover to avoid being caught up in the violence.
A trader at the market, identified simply as Neky, wrote on Twitter that the fight was between thugs, popularly known as agbero, around the market and traders.
He said, “Agbero versus traders in Alaba ..When will you guys stop extortion of the masses in Lagos?”
One Susan Nnamani said her neighbour, who fled from the market, reported gunshots.
“(My) neighbour that just came back from Alaba said there were stray bullets and some people died. Not sure though. But this agbero constant fight everywhere needs to stop,” she stated.
An eyewitness, Lawrence, also said, “Na agbero. I just run come back, later I will go and carry my car. Agbero una own too much for Alaba oh.”
“Illegal extortion in the name of owo da (pay money) should stop in Lagos to meet up to the standards that the government are aiming at….We are talking about a mega city.@jidesanwoolu @rrslagos767 @followlasg,” Ofor Buikem wrote.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, said normalcy had been restored to the market, but did not state whether casualties were recorded.
He said, “Alaba International Market is calm. Normalcy has been restored. @rrslagos767 and men of Ojo Division are on ground, under the supervision of Area Commander Festac, ACP Igbafe Afegbai. There is no cause for alarm as monitoring continues.”
Meanwhile, a trader, Kehinde Omoniru, lamented that the police arrived late at the market to quel the violence.
He said, “I can confidently confirm their presence in the market. But oga Ben, your men no try at all, since morning that the market has been under fire with gunshots and rain of broken bottles, they just came around 13:43hr.”
Man stabs friend over woman in FCT council A 27-year -old man, Rabiu Suleiman, has reportedly…
South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail A High Court in the…
Man jailed 3 months for non-declaration of $30,000 at airport Justice Deinde I. Dipeolu of the Federal High…
More heads to roll in NNPCL, subsidiaries as Ojulari assumes office There are indications that more…
Trump slams Nigeria with high tariff in shocking trade crackdown President Donald Trump has ignited a…
Barcelona beat Atletico to set up cup final against Real Madrid Barcelona narrowly edged past…