Mom runs over 7-year-old son with car after forcing him to walk from school as punishment – Newstrends
Connect with us

International

Mom runs over 7-year-old son with car after forcing him to walk from school as punishment

Published

on

Sarai Rachel James

Mom runs over 7-year-old son with car after forcing him to walk from school as punishment

An Alabama mother punished her 7-year-old son by making him walk home from school — then ran him over accidentally, according to police.

Sarai Rachel James, 27, picked up her son from school in Boaz around 3:30 p.m. on February 9 and learned from the boy’s principal that he had gotten in trouble at school that morning, police said.

Not far from the school, police said James stopped her car and made her son get out.  She told him he would have to walk or run the rest of the way home — about eight blocks, cops said.

James drove beside her son or trailed him for a few blocks, but when she slowed down the boy tried to grab the door handle of the car, Boaz Chief of Police Michael Abercrombie told McClatchy News.

She accelerated and her son was pulled under the car, which ran over him with a rear tire, according to police.

READ ALSO:

Abercrombie said investigators believe James accidentally ran over the boy — but he never would have been in that situation if she had not decided to punish him.

“She may not have realized he was doing that,” Abercrombie said.

He was taken to the University of Alabama hospital with only abrasions on his back and side of the head.

“God watched over him,” Abercombie said.

James, 27, was arrested and charged with aggravated child abuse. She was released on a $50,000 bond three days later, according to jail records.

James is barred from having any contact with her son, Al.com reported.

Another 53-year-old woman who was in the vehicle at the time of the incident was charged with endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor. She was released on a $500 bond.

Mom runs over 7-year-old son with car after forcing him to walk from school as punishment

International

Priest, others attacked during church service in Sydney’s second mass stabbing

Published

on

Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel

Priest, others attacked during church service in Sydney’s second mass stabbing

A bishop and several worshippers have been stabbed in an attack that was captured on video during a live-streamed service from a church in Sydney, only two days after a mass stabbing in a shopping centre.

Police said a man had been arrested following reports of the attack at the Christ the Good Shepherd Church just after 7pm local time in the Sydney suburb of Wakeley, New South Wales.

 Man repeatedly stabs Sydney Bishop during service in front of congregation live stream viewers

Video footage shared on social media shows Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel speaking to the congregation before a man dressed in black walks up to where he is standing and stabs him repeatedly. The sounds of screaming are heard before congregants run to the front to try to help the bishop.

Several worshippers were also injured in the attack. Police said they had suffered non-life threatening injuries.

READ ALSO:

A spokesman for New South Wales Ambulance told Australian media that a man in his 50s was taken to hospital with multiple stab wounds, while three other people were also injured and were being treated at the scene.

New South Wales Police said: “A police operation is under way in Wakeley, following reports of a stabbing. Officers attached to Fairfield City Police Area Command attended a location on Welcome Street, Wakeley following reports a number of people were stabbed.

“Officers arrested a male and he is assisting police with inquiries. The injured people suffered non-life threatening injuries and are being treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics. More information will be provided once it becomes available.”

The attack come after six people were killed and 12 injured in a mass stabbing at Westfield Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction, Sydney on Saturday afternoon.

Police said that the attacker appears to have deliberately targeted women.

Priest, others attacked during church service in Sydney’s second mass stabbing

inews.co.uk

Continue Reading

International

Iran summons French, British, German envoys over reactions to Israel attack

Published

on

File photo of Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi

Iran summons French, British, German envoys over reactions to Israel attack

After numerous countries condemned Iran’s attack on Israel, Tehran’s foreign ministry summoned the French, British, and German ambassadors “following the irresponsible positions of certain officials of these countries regarding Iran’s response”, a statement said.

Late Saturday, Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corps announced that they had launched “dozens of drones and missiles” towards military sites on Israeli territory.

“Iran’s military action was in response to the Zionist regime’s aggression against our diplomatic premises in Damascus” earlier this month, the Iranian mission to the UN said, dubbing it “legitimate defence”.

Israel’s army said it had shot 99 percent of the drones and missiles with the help of the United States and other allies, declaring Iran’s attack “foiled”.

The Iranian army chief of staff Mohammad Bagheri said the attack has “achieved all its objectives” and there was “no intention to continue this operation”.

Bagheri said Iran’s retaliation targeted an “intelligence centre” and the air base from which Tehran says the Israeli F-35 jets took off to strike the Damascus consulate on April 1.

“Both these centres were significantly destroyed,” he said, though Israel maintains that the attack only resulted in minor damage.

Attack ‘telegraphed’

Experts have suggested that Saturday’s slow-moving drone attack was calibrated to represent a show of power but also allow some wiggle room.

READ ALSO:

“It appears that Iran telegraphed its attack on Israel to demonstrate it can strike using different capabilities, to complicate the ability to neutralise the assault but also to provide an off-ramp to pause escalation,” said Nishank Motwani, senior analyst at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute in Washington.

“Tehran can escalate if it chooses to across a range of vectors,” said Motwani.

Over the last two weeks, the Iranian authorities had repeatedly vowed to “punish” Israel after the death of seven Guards including two generals of the Quds Force in the attack that levelled the Iranian consulate in Damascus.

Iran has blamed Israel for the attack.

In the days after the strike, Iran’s Supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Israel will be “slapped for that action”.

Since Iran’s 1979 revolution, Israel has been the sworn enemy of the Islamic republic.

Iran has often called for the destruction of Israel, with support of the Palestinian cause one of the pillars of the Islamic revolution.

However, until Saturday Tehran had also refrained from a direct attack on Israel.

Instead, it has backed members of the so-called “Axis of Resistance” against Israel, including Lebanon’s Hezbollah and Yemen’s Huthi rebels, since the outbreak of war in Gaza between Israel and Palestinian militant group Hamas on October 7.

Hours before the strikes on Saturday, Iran seized an Israeli-linked container ship in the Gulf which Washington called “an act of piracy”.

 ‘Next slap will be fiercer’

During the night, Tehran warned the United States, urging it to “stay away” from its conflict with Israel.

READ ALSO:

“If necessary”, Tehran “will not hesitate to take defensive measures to protect its interests against any aggressive military action,” Iran’s foreign ministry said.

Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian later said Tehran had notified neighbouring countries ahead of the military operation, stressing its objective was “to punish the Israeli regime”.

“We are not seeking to target the American people or American bases in the region,” he said, but warned that Iran could target US military positions involved in “defending and supporting” Israel.

“The next slap will be fiercer,” warned a mural unveiled overnight in Tehran’s Palestine Square, where several thousands gathered, shouting “Death to Israel” and “Death to America”.

Before Tehran launched its attack, Israel warned Iran that it would suffer “the consequences for choosing to escalate the situation any further”.

Israel has not revealed what a potential response would look like.

An Israeli attack on Iran’s territory, possibly targeting military or nuclear sites, could not be ruled out, according to experts.

As a precaution, Iran’s Imam Khomeini international airport and the domestic Mehrabad airport will remain closed until Monday at 06:00 am (0230 GMT), according to ISNA news agency.

Several international airlines have suspended flights over Iranian airspace.

Countries including Russia and France have asked their citizens to avoid travelling to Iran and Israel.

Iran summons French, British, German envoys over reactions to Israel attack

AFP

Continue Reading

International

UK’s Sunak pleads for ‘calm heads to prevail’ after Iran attack on Israel

Published

on

UK Prime Minister Sunak

UK’s Sunak pleads for ‘calm heads to prevail’ after Iran attack on Israel

UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak appealed for “calm heads to prevail” on Sunday, confirming that British fighter jets downed Iranian drones during Tehran’s unprecedented attack on Israel.

Israel and its allies intercepted nearly all of Iran’s missiles and drones fired during its first attack on Israeli land.

Sunak joined world leaders in urging patience, while Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi warned against “reckless” Israeli reprisals for the strikes, which marked a significant increase in Middle East tensions.

“If this attack had been successful, the fallout for regional stability would be hard to overstate,” Sunak told reporters in Downing Street.

READ ALSO:

“We stand by the security of Israel and the wider region, which is of course important for our security here at home, and what we now need is for calm heads to prevail.

“We’ll be working with our allies to de-escalate the situation, and I look forward to speaking to G7 leaders later this afternoon,” Sunak added.

He added that the UK’s Royal Air Force planes “did shoot down several Iranian attack drones,” confirming reports that Britain had helped Israel and other allies repel the strikes.

In response to Iran’s threats to Israel, the UK’s defense ministry announced late Saturday that it has sent more fighter jets and air-refueling tankers to the region.

The jets strengthened an existing British campaign against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, according to the Ministry of Defence.

UK’s Sunak pleads for ‘calm heads to prevail’ after Iran attack on Israel

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content