Never again will invaders come into Oyo without a local response – Makinde – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Never again will invaders come into Oyo without a local response – Makinde

Published

on

The Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, has said the Oyo State Security Network Agency, co-denamed Amotekun Corps is the state’s local response to crime and criminality and that it ready to crush all criminals operating in the area.

He also stated that the South-West was ready to combat crime through the security agency, which was initially launched in January 2020.

A statement by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Taiwo Adisa, quoted Makinde as saying this at the passing-out parade of the 1,500 pioneer Amotekun corps, held at the Emmanuel Alayande College of Education, Oyo.

He added the six states of the region would fight common enemies and those elements that might attempt to cause commotion and perpetuate crime in the region.

He highlighted the efforts of his government in improving the security sector by supporting the federal security agencies in the state with the provision of patrol vehicles, communication gadgets and other logistic support.

He added that the approval and establishment of a Police Mobile Force 72 Squadron at Ago-Are, Oke Ogun area of the state by the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, as well as provision of vehicles and logistic support for the squadron was another step taken by his administration to boost security, adding that the government has equally requested for another Police Mobile Force base in Oyo town.

Makinde, who noted that state policing remained the way forward to tackle insecurity in every nook and cranny of the country, said the Amotekun initiative by the South-West was the next best thing in the absence of state police.

According to him, it will help to fight crimes in the nooks and crannies of the society.

He, however, expressed confidence that advocates of state police would one day get enough support at the national level to achieve the constitutional review.

He urged the corps to exhibit the highest level of professionalism in the discharge of their duties, adding that none of them must be seen harassing individuals.

The governor also stated that the agency would also be involved in routine day and night patrols on major roads and remote areas, as its members drafted to all the 351 wards in Oyo State.

He also told the gathering that the 2021 budget of the state had been approved by the state’s executive council, adding that he would present it to members of the state House of Assembly next week.

The governor said, “As I said during the official launch of this outfit in January 2020, our regional integration, through Amotekun, should be seen in one light. We are coming together to fight a common enemy. That enemy is not Nigeria; the enemies are the elements among us and their affiliates, who are determined to cause commotion within our states’ borders and threaten our peaceful coexistence.

“Never again will invaders come into Oyo State without a local response from us. Amotekun is our local response.”

News

I’ve never taken bribe since joining police in 2005 – Force PRO Adejobi

Published

on

Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO), Prince Olumuyiwa Adejobi

I’ve never taken bribe since joining police in 2005 – Force PRO Adejobi

Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO), Prince Olumuyiwa Adejobi, has boasted that he has never for once accepted a bribe of any kind since he started active service as a police officer.

Adejobi, who is an Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), made this revelation in a post on his verified X account on Sunday.

The Force PRO, while responding to a netizen who asked if he had ever taken bribes before, said accepting bribes is a taboo for him as a royal prince.

According to him, accepting a bribe is not just ungodly but also affects someone somewhere anytime it is taken.

READ ALSO:

He noted that the essence of life is to put smiles on the faces of others and not to be the source of their tears.

He further revealed that he has taken it upon himself to preach against accepting bribery to his fellow police officers and other people around him.

He wrote, “No. It’s a taboo for a royal prince to take a bribe. Taking bribe definitely makes someone somewhere cry for many reasons, and it’s ungodly to do so. Your main purpose in life is to put smiles on people’s faces. It’s Godly and rewarding. It’s my personal principle and a call to duty. I preach this to my colleagues and many others always. May we have the grace to remain steadfast and purposeful in life.”

Adejobi, who is a prince from Orile-Owu Community in Ayedaade Local Government Area of Osun State, was reappointed as the Force PRO by the Inspector General of Police, Olukayode Egbetokun, in August 2023.

I’ve never taken bribe since joining police in 2005 – Force PRO Adejobi

Continue Reading

News

Oba of Benin receives 2 looted ancestral stools from Germany

Published

on

Oba of Benin, Omo N’Oba N’Edo, Uku Akpolokpolo, Ewuare II

Oba of Benin receives 2 looted ancestral stools from Germany

The Oba of Benin, Omo N’Oba N’Edo, Uku Akpolokpolo, Ewuare II, has received two looted royal stools carted away during the invasion of Benin City in 1897, from the German government.

The artefacts — bronze and wooden royal stools (Ekete), were looted during the reign of Oba Eresoyen and Oba Esigie several centuries ago.

READ ALSO:

The returned artefacts were handed over to the National Commission for Museums and Monuments, NCMM, on behalf of the Nigerian government by the German authorities in 2022.

Presenting the items to the Oba of Benin in his palace, the Director-General of National Commission for Museums and Monuments, Mr Olugbile Holloway, pledged to work-hand-in hand with the Benin Royal Court in uplifting and displaying Edo heritage.

He said as the Benin bronzes and other art works are gradually making their way home (Nigeria), adding that the NCMM will join hands with the Royal Court to create a befitting destination for people around the world to come and appreciate these works.

Oba of Benin receives 2 looted ancestral stools from Germany

Continue Reading

News

Osun: Obaship tussle rages in Iree as court restrains Gov Adeleke again

Published

on

Osun: Obaship tussle rages in Iree as court restrains Gov Adeleke again

A High Court sitting in Osogbo has refused the prayer of the Osun State government to vacate the order preventing Governor Ademola Adeleke from issuing certificates, instruments and staff of office to one Prince Muritala Oyelakin as the Aree of Iree.

The state government, Oyelakin and seven others, through their counsel, Kayode Titilaoye, who is the Director of Legal Reform in the state Ministry of Justice, and Dr. D. A. Ariyoosu, had approached the court to vacate the restraining order granted Oba Raphael Oluponle, which stopped the official presentation of staff of office to Oyelakin on May 3, 2024 and to also refuse the interlocutory injunction sought by Oba Oluponle to restrain Adeleke from taking any further step on Aree stool pending the determination of the substantive matter before the court.

At the hearing last week, counsel to Oba Oluponle, Dr Muritala Abdurasheed, SAN, informed the court that the substantive matter was already before the court and parties had been served accordingly.

He urged the court to grant the interlocutory injunction, arguing that taking further steps on the matter before the court was not only contemptuous of the judiciary but also injurious to Oba Oluponle.

READ ALSO:

Justice M.O Awe, in his ruling, refused the application of the state government and Oyelakin and granted interlocutory injunction sought by Oba Oluponle and restrained Governor Adeleke from issuing certificate, instrument and staff of office.

The order reads in part: “It is my view that the complainant’s application for interlocutory injunction ought to succeed. Accordingly, the application succeeds and it is hereby ORDERED AS PRAYED. “Specifically, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd defendants/respondents are hereby restrained from installing the 9th defendant and respondent as Aree of Iree and/or present a staff of office to the said 9th defendant /respondent pending the hearing and the determination of the substantive suit that is the originating summon of the claimant pending before the court.

Parties are to bear their costs.”

It would be recalled that the court, on Friday, May 3, 2024, stopped Governor Adeleke from presenting staff of office to Oyelakin at an event scheduled to hold on Saturday, May 4, 2024 in Iree after preparations had been concluded for the ceremony.

The state government, through his Commissioner for Information and Civic Engagement, Kolapo Alimi, in a statement, said the governor had obeyed the court order and suspended the ceremony till further notice and directed the government legal team to approach the court to vacate the interim order.

READ ALSO:

Oba Oluponle had been appointed by the former Governor Gboyega Oyetola’s administration and presented with the certificate and staff of office, but Governor Adeleke later issued an Executive Order that he should vacate the palace, without recourse to the fact that a case was pending in court on the matter as of the time.

The government subsequently issued a White Paper nullifying the appointment of Oba Oluponle and ordered that the case which was instituted against his appointment should be withdrawn before the commencement of a new process.

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content