International

Niger Republic terminates military agreement with US

Niger Republic terminates military agreement with US

The military government in Niger Republic has terminated the country’s military agreement with the United States.

The agreement allowed military personnel and civilian personnel from the US Department of Defence to operate in the country.

Announcing the change on national television, Amadou Abdramane, Niger military spokesperson, said the agreement between the two countries, which was signed in 2012, was imposed and had been in violation of the nation’s sovereignty.

“The government of Niger, taking into account the aspirations and interests of its people, decides with full responsibility to denounce with immediate effect the agreement relating to the status of military personnel of the United States and civilian employees of the American Department of Defense in the territory of the Republic of Niger,” he said.

“This agreement is not only profoundly unfair in its substance but it also does not meet the aspirations and interests of the Nigerien people.”

The announcement comes after a senior US delegation paid a three-day visit to Niger this week.

Abdramane said during the meetings, Nigerien and US officials discussed the military transition in Niger.

He, however, said the US delegation was received out of “courtesy” and “did not respect diplomatic practices” by not providing information regarding the date of its arrival, the composition of the delegation, and the purpose of the visit.

READ ALSO:

Abdramane said Niger “forcefully denounces the condescending attitude” of the US, “accompanied by the threat of retaliation from the head of the American delegation towards the Nigerien government and people”.

“The government of Niger regrets the desire of the American delegation to deny the Nigerien people the right to choose their partners and the types of partnerships capable of helping them truly fight against terrorists,” he said.

“This attitude is likely to undermine the quality of our centuries-old relations and undermine the trust between our two governments.”

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has appointed…

8 hours ago

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities Dozens of people are feared…

8 hours ago

AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC

AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC Less than 48…

8 hours ago

Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity…

9 hours ago

Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64

Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64 Lawmaker representing the South East Senatorial district…

10 hours ago

Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets

Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets  By…

10 hours ago